FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » problem upgrading from 1.1.1 to 1.2.3
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
problem upgrading from 1.1.1 to 1.2.3 [message #1215] Mon, 25 March 2002 12:38 Go to next message
etraas is currently offline  etraas   Netherlands
Hi,

i wanted to upgrade to the newest version but right at the beginning there is a problem. The upgrade looks for the GLOBALS.PHP file. It is there but has a lenght of 0 bytes.

What is going on ??

Thanks in advance.
E. Traas
Re: problem upgrading from 1.1.1 to 1.2.3 [message #1218 is a reply to message #1215] Mon, 25 March 2002 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
GLOBALS.php is a REQUIRED file, which contains most of the forum's settings. If it is blank your forum WILL not work.

Did the file become blank after the upgrade process?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: problem upgrading from 1.1.1 to 1.2.3 [message #1219 is a reply to message #1215] Mon, 25 March 2002 17:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i should know this problem, my mistake. The globals.php file in the main dir of the forum is a link to the globals.php file in the /forum/include forum and there the settings are.
This still leaves me with the problem, every path i use the upgrade tells me it ti wrong.

i used :

/forum/include
/forum/include/
..forum/include
..forum/include/
/www/htdocs/hvv/forum/include
/www/htdocs/hvv/forum/include/

No luck.

What kind of permissions should the real globals.php file have ??
Re: problem upgrading from 1.1.1 to 1.2.3 [message #1220 is a reply to message #1219] Mon, 25 March 2002 17:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
It should be world writeable (666 permissions).

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: problem upgrading from 1.1.1 to 1.2.3 [message #1221 is a reply to message #1215] Mon, 25 March 2002 18:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my linux client tells me -rw-rw-rw-, but i cannot copy anything to the include folder.
Is there something wrong there ???
Re: problem upgrading from 1.1.1 to 1.2.3 [message #1222 is a reply to message #1221] Mon, 25 March 2002 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The file permissions are A OK.

The reason you cannot copy files into that folder is because the webserver owns the directory. You need to chmod the directory 777 if you want to copy files into it.

FUDforum Core Developer
icon5.gif  Re: problem upgrading from 1.1.1 to 1.2.3 [message #1223 is a reply to message #1215] Mon, 25 March 2002 20:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On the main forum folder this was possible but not on underlying folders ( the include folder ).

Is this problem related to how my hosting service is organising things ?

The upgrade program is one step futher, it now complains with the UPDATE_STATUS needs to be avialable for writing.
Now it has -rw-r--r-- attributes, it is not possible for me to change this. I will ask my hosting service to do this.

What files need to be accessed in this manner ??
Re: problem upgrading from 1.1.1 to 1.2.3 [message #1224 is a reply to message #1223] Mon, 25 March 2002 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Germany
Hi,
Seems a bit strange to me that u cannot change directories within ur account to what u need them to be. If u cannot set the dir to (1)777 then it doesn't make sense to use it at all, because even if the files within would be writable u could never add new ones, only overwrite existing ones. Makes sense with logfiles but not with stored messages, which number will grow naturally. So alternatively u could create a folder within ur webroot throw the stuff in there and create a .htaccess for it with the folowing content:
---cut here----
deny from all

---cut here----
Now this may sound strange at first, but it rejects only http requests from outside, while the server itself isn't affected from it, hence the forum will still work. So everyone trying to browse within the hidden folder will get an 403 error. I think this makes more sense then to pay extra charges for a relatively simple installation Wink.
bye
Ken
Re: problem upgrading from 1.1.1 to 1.2.3 [message #1225 is a reply to message #1223] Tue, 26 March 2002 00:04 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
etraas wrote on Mon, 25 March 2002 3:53 PM

On the main forum folder this was possible but not on underlying folders ( the include folder ).

Is this problem related to how my hosting service is organising things ?

The upgrade program is one step futher, it now complains with the UPDATE_STATUS needs to be avialable for writing.
Now it has -rw-r--r-- attributes, it is not possible for me to change this. I will ask my hosting service to do this.

What files need to be accessed in this manner ??

You can chmod the file yourself by running:

chmod 666 file_name via the shell or using your FTP client.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: disable 30 days threshold
Next Topic: Unexpected character in input
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun Sep 08 01:28:05 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02324 seconds