FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Group Permissions
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Group Permissions [message #12653] Wed, 20 August 2003 16:50 Go to next message
esm2002 is currently offline  esm2002   United States
I wanted to hide all forums from everyone except the Global Registered users when they login.

I posted a message in the test forum and then logged out. But I can still can see the message.

Here are the permissions:

CODE

Global Anonymous Access (No) (No) (No) (No) (No) (No) (No) (No) (No) (No) (No) (No) (No) (No) (No) (No) 
Global Registered Access (Yes) (Yes) (Yes) (Yes) (No) (No) (No) (Yes) (Yes) (Yes) (Yes) (No) (No) (No) (Yes) (Yes) 
TestForum (No) (No) (No) (No) (No) (No) (No) (No) (No) (No) (No) (No) (No) (No) (No) (No)

so how do I set it up?

Gene
"The older I get, the more I admire competence, just simple competence in any field from adultery to zoology."
Re: Group Permissions [message #12654 is a reply to message #12653] Wed, 20 August 2003 17:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
You've been using the wrong control panel. You've changed the permissions that the group manager can edit rather the forum permissions. You should've used the group manager linked to from the front page.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Group Permissions [message #12655 is a reply to message #12654] Thu, 21 August 2003 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prottoss wrote on Wed, 20 August 2003 13:18

You've been using the wrong control panel. You've changed the permissions that the group manager can edit rather the forum permissions. You should've used the group manager linked to from the front page.

maybe one day I will understand group permissions on FUDForum... Rolling Eyes

so how do I do this:
I want to put FUDForum behind the htaccess/htpasswd. is there a way to allow a guest to still access to FUDForum ( via login as guest with a password of guest ) but only see a "public" forum? In other words, I will display the guest login that they can use for the htaccess/htpasswd screen, but I only want them to see a particular forum: visible and readable but no posting capability. All other that get past the htaccess/htpasswd screen will see all of the forums.

Gene
"The older I get, the more I admire competence, just simple competence in any field from adultery to zoology."
Re: Group Permissions [message #12659 is a reply to message #12653] Thu, 21 August 2003 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AutoHost is currently offline  AutoHost   United States
Yes, you could do that, BUT that will require your registered FUDForum users to login twice: once, to get past the htaccess/htpassword prompt, then login to FUDForum itself to see forums they have access to.

Ron Miller
Stars! AutoHost
Re: Group Permissions [message #12662 is a reply to message #12653] Thu, 21 August 2003 17:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm...

just out of curiosity, how would I do it?

Gene
Re: Group Permissions [message #12695 is a reply to message #12662] Sun, 24 August 2003 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
do what?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Group Permissions [message #12727 is a reply to message #12662] Wed, 27 August 2003 04:41 Go to previous message
AutoHost is currently offline  AutoHost   United States
See Apache docs for info on .htaccess stuff, or you could edit the Apache httpd.conf file itself.
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/howto/htaccess.html
Look under the 'Authentication' section.

As for the FUDforum side of things:
Basically, nothing needs to be done permissions-wise, since anonymous users can only 'view' and 'read' by default on all forums. If there are forums that you don't want guests to see or read, then you'll need to edit the user permissions for Anonymous for those forums.

Ron Miller
Stars! AutoHost
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: maillist.php issues
Next Topic: Today's Visitor ?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat Jul 06 12:15:52 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05895 seconds