FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » Post Notification (Subscribe)
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Post Notification (Subscribe) [message #1275] Tue, 02 April 2002 14:49 Go to next message
djpulsifer is currently offline  djpulsifer   United States
I have had some trouble getting email to start working on my system, but just yesterday managed to make it start working. I now get emails from the FUD-forum when I register or send email from the FUD mailer. The one thing that is not working is the post notification (subscribe) feature. I figured that since I'm receiving email from other functions within the FUD system, I must be doing something wrong, or there is a bug in version 1.2.4. I'm running this on Solaris 8. By the way, I have checked the post notification check box on my replies and have also subscribed to forums, but I still do not get any email.

I am very impressed by your forums. I tried a few different ones, but yours seemed by far the best. A few things that I'm curious about though are:

• When you will have Private Forums?
  • Are you planning to make the FUD forums a module for postnuke/phpnuke?
  • Can I disable Smileys and Post Icons?

The reason I'm asking about these are that I'm planning to use the FUD forums in a government laboratory to share information. Private forums could help replace the need for certain meetings, as they could be conducted with the right people and archived. Smileys are cute, but are probably better left out in a corporate/business environment. And I really believe that a module for postnuke/phpnuke would really help round out the features list for the FUD forums.

Thanks for all of your hard dedicated work. This is truly a wonderful product.
Re: Post Notification (Subscribe) [message #1278 is a reply to message #1275] Tue, 02 April 2002 17:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
I'll check our post notification code to see if there is a problem, I know that on this and other FUDforums that I visit it works fine.
Please verify that your post notifications are going via EMAIL rather then ICQ (it is an option in your profile).
Also, if you can run the following test, on the front page click on the "mark all read" link, it can be found at the bottom of page. The login as another user and post a reply to a thread your subscribed to or make a new thread in a forum you're subscribed to. You must do this as another user, since you will not receive notifications for the posts you make yourself as that would be rather pointless.

Private Forums:

I am working on version 2.0 an alpha of which was released a week ago and another release will occur sometime this week. One of the features that is currently in development is a group system, that would allow admin to create various user groups in the forum. This will allow for truly private forums.

In the meanwhile, there was a code hack posted at this URL http://fud.prohost.org/forum/msg.php?th=197 which will add simple private forum functionality.

Postnuke/Phpnuke:

Currently I am solely working on getting 2.0 out of the door, so I don't imagine postnuke/phpnuke modules being considered until 2.0 stable is released. This does not mean you cannot do it yourself though Wink Since I've never used both of those scripts, my knowledge of them is non-existant, so it is unlikely I personally will be able to write a module for them.

Smileys and Post Icons:

Yes, they can be disabled. To disable post icons simply use the admin control panel to delete them all, this will disable them.
As for smilies you can disable them on a per forum basis in the forum control panel.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Post Notification (Subscribe) [message #1282 is a reply to message #1278] Wed, 03 April 2002 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the reply and information. I was able to get the subscribe functionality to work after I clicked "mark all read" button. Another question though, is it possible for the email to actually include the text from the post? Thanks again for your help. I must say again that this is a great product.
Re: Post Notification (Subscribe) [message #1285 is a reply to message #1282] Wed, 03 April 2002 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
djpulsifer wrote on Wed, 03 April 2002 12:59 AM

Thanks for the reply and information. I was able to get the subscribe functionality to work after I clicked "mark all read" button. Another question though, is it possible for the email to actually include the text from the post? Thanks again for your help. I must say again that this is a great product.

At the momemt reply notifications only include the link to the message. I suspect if you wanted to it would be a 10-15 minute hack to add the message of the text to the email as well.
One of the reasons we do not do it be default is it reduce the size of the email and more importantly not break ICQ notification capability, since ICQ notifications only accept up to 255 characters.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Post Notification (Subscribe) [message #1287 is a reply to message #1285] Wed, 03 April 2002 17:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is it possible to provide an option in the administration of the forums to either send just a link in the email or send the actual text of the post as well? For ICQ notification it wouldn't give you the option but instead always send just the link. I think that this would be a nice feature to include.

Also, what might be kind of interesting is the ability to add links in the subscription email to any attachments that the new post has.

Again, thanks for all of your help.

[Updated on: Wed, 03 April 2002 19:22]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Post Notification (Subscribe) [message #31159 is a reply to message #1278] Wed, 05 April 2006 18:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
marten is currently offline  marten   Germany
Quote:

Also, if you can run the following test, on the front page click on the "mark all read" link, it can be found at the bottom of page. The login as another user and post a reply to a thread your subscribed to or make a new thread in a forum you're subscribed to. You must do this as another user, since you will not receive notifications for the posts you make yourself as that would be rather pointless.

I had the same thing, this indeed help. But my question is: What "mark all read" has to do with Subscibe to a forum? Do I have to tell all user to "mark all read" before they subscribe? Or is there another way?
Re: Post Notification (Subscribe) [message #31167 is a reply to message #31159] Thu, 06 April 2006 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Mark all read and forum subscriptions are totaly unrelated to one another.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Post Notification (Subscribe) [message #31177 is a reply to message #1275] Thu, 06 April 2006 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
marten is currently offline  marten   Germany
But than I don't understand why after this test I got email notification for everything happens in the forum and before it not.

Or do I just misunderstand here the issue?
Re: Post Notification (Subscribe) [message #31190 is a reply to message #31177] Fri, 07 April 2006 00:39 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
Well, you only recieve notifications after you've subscribed to the forum and/or topic. One of the criteria to determine if a notice about a new new message is to be sent is weather or not you've already read it or acted upon previously sent notices. Mark all read resets your "read" marker to the current state, in effect giving you a clean slate as far as forum's notifications go.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: forum error msg
Next Topic: i can't create a poll..
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun Sep 08 01:10:23 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02935 seconds