FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » Do I need to get my host provided to do install ? help?
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Do I need to get my host provided to do install ? help? [message #12851] Sat, 13 September 2003 19:04 Go to next message
twerp is currently offline  twerp   United Kingdom
HI ALL! First post and THRILLED to be here.
I've been very fortunate to discover FUD.

Anyways... I'm a half-wit which is better than the idiot I was 18 months ago.

SO: i have my own server and I have hosted space that's got ALL the bits needed by FUD and I've used it lots with lots of PHP/mySQL apps etc.

SO, the ONE file install has me stumped. AND I'm only using my HOSTED SPACE right now.

1) I upload the install in binary mode.
2) I create the database and user/PW with phpmyadin
3) I created a folder for the files in: /home/domain_folder/public_html/
4) I experimant by creating a FUDforum folder at both the root level AND the same level as 3) above...

5) I manage to get the installed to created the folders in both locations from 3) and 4) above...

6) Then I try to connect to database typing in the right bits and I get the error... access denied to database etc..

IS it possible to simply do a manual install and upload the SQL database with phpmyadmin like I'm used to??

I read the:
"""Web Installation
If you lack shell access or prefer to work with your web browser we have also provided a web installation script. If you lack shell access you will have to decompress the forum tarball etc etc etc>> """

Though it didn't seemn to be wuite what I needed...

it also said:

"""After decompressing the file locally it should produce a forum_install directory. """

does that mean LITERALLY a 'forum_install' directory... I guess not.

The hosting company I use is REALLY great so I guess I've REALLY missed a trick or 6.

Any comments that make me feel REALY REALLY REALLY dumb GREATLY appreciated!!!

I've pretty much gone the distance so any amount of detail is welcomed.

I CANNOT acacess my mySQL database from say, mySQL Manager or any other program residing on my PC I've confirmed. I CAN see via telnet that the myswl is there then the connection drops.

hmmmm...

CAN I EXTRACT ALL the files IN the install.php binary? I run windows XP here on my PC in my room... and will eventually redo my server and have it flying here. I DO REALLY need to have my remote hosted space servering up some FUD!!!!

WOW is it the BEST or WHAT!!!!!!!!!!

thanks...

um, I'm sure I've forgotten something important!

twErP
Re: Do I need to get my host provided to do install ? help? [message #12905 is a reply to message #12851] Thu, 18 September 2003 14:22 Go to previous message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
You cannnot manually extract files from install.php
If you want the files inside the installer check them out from CVS.

SQL permissions are something that you need to correct, the problem has nothing to do with the forum itself.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Stage I: Undefined variable: WINDOWS in /home/www/.../fud/install.php on line 554
Next Topic: IS a MANUAL install possible? extraction of install.php ?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun Oct 06 06:25:54 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.10873 seconds