FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » Template and Administration problems
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Template and Administration problems [message #12994] Thu, 18 September 2003 20:23 Go to next message
hiegl is currently offline  hiegl   Germany
When modifying the Template via the Template Editor FUD sometimes shows no reaction on my mouseclicks. The browser stopps activity and nothing happens. When trying to open single tmpls by clicking the [+]I get no reaction or only a reaction after 2 or up to 6 mousclicks. After changing something like table width in the template and clicking "save changes" often nothing happens and unfortunately once I had a browser activity and afterwards a complete deletion of the content of the Template-File. It would be great to know if this is a MySql-Problem or a PHP-Problem or what else. Here is my System Info:

PHP built On: Linux www1 2.4.8-ac9 #1 SMP Wed Aug 22 15:34:10 MEST 2001 i686 unknown
Database Version: 3.23.55-Max-log
PHP Version: 4.2.2
Web Server: Apache/1.3.26 (Unix) PHP/4.2.2 mod_perl/1.27 mod_auth_pam/1.0a mod_ssl/2.8.10 OpenSSL/0.9.6e
WebServer to PHP interface: apache
Forum Version: 2.5.3RC1
Relavent PHP Settings:
Safe Mode: OFF
Open basedir: none
Display Errors: ON
File Uploads: ON
Magic Quotes: ON
Register Globals: ON
Output Buffering: OFF
Disabled Functions: none
PSpell Support: No

This behaviour seems to extend now to the whole admin-area and sometimes to the posting process when clicking preview.
Would be great to have some advice how to solve this problem.
Addition: Permissions are set via Windows on a Virtual Host Area.

Thanks in Advance

B. Hiegl
Re: Template and Administration problems [message #12995 is a reply to message #12994] Thu, 18 September 2003 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
When you click save changes, the forum saves the template the rebuilds the templates. This process can take up to several seconds (depending on the speed & load of your server). This would explain the lack of responsivness by your browser. However, most browsers do indicated in someway that the page is loading.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Template and Administration problems [message #12998 is a reply to message #12995] Thu, 18 September 2003 20:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you for the fast reply.

The problem seems to be that the process of saving does not work here. Once the template was completely emptied afterwards. That I am unable to open the tmpls by clicking on the [+] is not a browser problem as far as I can see. Right now I succeded to open the [+] of the forum.css but clicking on this template to open it for modification does not work after clicking on it.
To sum up: once in a while there is no reaction in the whole admin area and sometimes in the forum area as well.

By the way: Your Software seems to be one of the best in the area of Discussion Boards. Keep on with your great work.
Re: Template and Administration problems [message #12999 is a reply to message #12998] Thu, 18 September 2003 20:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Sounds very strange? Perphaps, your PHP is crashing, do you have a way of checking the server's primary error log file?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Template and Administration problems [message #13000 is a reply to message #12999] Thu, 18 September 2003 21:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Will try to contact my admin tomorrow. To tell the truth, I had similar problems with other Forum Products. Discussed it with admin but he was not sure where to look for a solution. Then I discovered FUDforum and there was no problem during the installation and for the first days but then it happened and it seems to come more often now.
It would be great help if we could exclude MySQL as the source of this behaviour. Maybe you can give some hints where to look for in the PHP settings.

Thanks in advance
Re: Template and Administration problems [message #13001 is a reply to message #13000] Thu, 18 September 2003 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Are the problems you've been describing happening ONLY on template editor are other portions of the site as well?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Template and Administration problems [message #13003 is a reply to message #13001] Thu, 18 September 2003 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
After discovering the problems for the first time in the template editor I checked other areas more intensively and asked other users. They told me that it happened when they clicked preview message after writing a new one. They had no reaction after a short browser activity and the preview appeared only after the third or forth click if at all. After the preview when trying to submit it appeared again. But it is not reproducable everytime, just sometimes.
Re: Template and Administration problems [message #13005 is a reply to message #13001] Thu, 18 September 2003 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forgot to say that other parts of the admin area show the problems as well e.g. the global configuration part
Re: Template and Administration problems [message #13013 is a reply to message #13005] Thu, 18 September 2003 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Most unusual, first time I hear about such a problem...

There could be serveral reasons for this:

1) Your webhost has set a maximum number of apache children that can exist at any one time. Which means that if that maximum is reached all other users will need to wait for existing children to free up.

2) Your PHP could be crashing due to buggy version, badly compiled PHP and host of other problems with PHP installation.

3) Your webhost has a VERY stringent cpu limitations on inidvidual apache processes, and when a complex task is request it is sometimes 'killed' by the server prior to having a chance to finish.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Template and Administration problems [message #13054 is a reply to message #13013] Sat, 20 September 2003 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your Proposition led us to exclude MySQL as a source of the problems. We´re not quite sure yet what exactly to change in the configuration of PHP/Apache but will post our solution as soon as we have one.
Thank you again for your efforts and product!
Re: Template and Administration problems [message #13566 is a reply to message #13054] Fri, 17 October 2003 20:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dear FUDforum-Team,

yesterday after 4 weeks of helplessness I found the solution to the problems described above. You might not believe how trivial it is: I tried several things just to exclude some potential reasons. You cannot imagine my surprised look when I set magic_quotes from on to off detecting my FUDforum completely stable afterwards: no problems with the template editor, no problems during a new installation process, and no problems when posting, previewing messages!
It would be very helpful to get your opinion about this 'magic' solution. What are possible reasons that other FUD-users did never encounter such a problem with their magic_quotes set to on?

Maybe my findings will help others who never posted here but had the same problems.

Bernhard
Re: Template and Administration problems [message #13567 is a reply to message #13566] Fri, 17 October 2003 20:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
By default FUDforum puts .htaccess files that sets magic_quotes_gpc to OFF since it is not needed and only leads to performance loss. However, on some systems where it is not possible it should still work fine.
I no longer PHP 4.2.X running anywhere, but I'll see how the forum behaves with that setting ON on 4.3.X which I have, it should work ok.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Template and Administration problems [message #13568 is a reply to message #13567] Fri, 17 October 2003 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do you mean that FUDforum always puts a .htaccess in its folder during the installation? My FUD-Versions did never contain a .htaccess! Not after unpacking the downloaded package nor after the installation process! Is it possible that I downloaded a version without this .htaccess-file?
Re: Template and Administration problems [message #13569 is a reply to message #13568] Fri, 17 October 2003 20:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Uhm not ALWAYS, but new (2.5.X+) releases will try to put one if it is possible. Some systems do not support php directives via .htacces and on those systems .htaccess will not be created.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Template and Administration problems [message #13570 is a reply to message #13569] Fri, 17 October 2003 21:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So this seems to be the problem. There has never been created a .htaccess-file here by FUD! But how is it possible that FUD thought my system will not support php directives via .htacces while it does. How is this checked and what parameter is responsible for the decision? Let´s clear the situation just to help the community to avoid such a really annoying problem in the future.

By the way, did you change the default Theme here some minutes ago? Looks great!! Is it available?
Re: Template and Administration problems [message #13571 is a reply to message #13570] Fri, 17 October 2003 21:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The upgrade & install script check if they can make a page request to the server (after placing .htaccess file). If that fails, the .htaccess file is removed.

As for the new theme, you're actually looking at what is going to become FUDforum 2.6.0 that is next release. I am putting it here mostly as a test Wink

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Template and Administration problems [message #13572 is a reply to message #13571] Fri, 17 October 2003 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Situation: FUD places this file and makes a request and it seems to be unable to access the directory whereafter it deletes the .htaccess-file in order not to block access to the forum. Right? Unfortunately a .htaccess-file placed manually is working absolutely correct. Can you post the .htaccess-file here that FUD uses as a Server-Test?
Re: Template and Administration problems [message #13573 is a reply to message #13572] Fri, 17 October 2003 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
FUD uses the same .htaccess file all the time
here are it's contents:

php_value output_buffering 16000
php_value variables_order GPCS
php_flag implicit_flush 0
php_flag register_globals 0
php_flag register_argc_argv 0
php_flag magic_quotes_gpc 0
php_flag session.use_trans_sid 0

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Template and Administration problems [message #13574 is a reply to message #13573] Fri, 17 October 2003 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My settings concerning these parameters are right now as follows:

php_value output_buffering no value
php_value variables_order EGPCS
php_flag implicit_flush Off
php_flag register_globals On
php_flag register_argc_argv On
php_flag magic_quotes_gpc Off
php_flag session.use_trans_sid 1

Which setting would you recommend to change. FUD is working abolutely great with these settings now.
Re: Template and Administration problems [message #13575 is a reply to message #13574] Fri, 17 October 2003 23:32 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
Turning register_globals will make your forum work faster and more securly and turning off register_argc_argv will also make the forum faster.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: get_all_read_perms
Next Topic: help please
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun Oct 20 18:44:02 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02911 seconds