FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » FUDforum 3.0+ » New way to limit troublesome users
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
New way to limit troublesome users [message #10098] Mon, 19 May 2003 08:35 Go to next message
ctbk is currently offline  ctbk   Italy
Two versions, one simpler to implement and one more complex:

1 - In the User Manager panel add the ability to put a user in the ignore list of all registered users.

2 - Create a "troll flag": messages marked with the "troll flag" by admin or moderators can be viewed only if users set a parameter "view troll msgs too" in the profile. The troublesome user can be put in the "troll users list": in this way all new msgs and topics he creates are marked as "troll".

In this way moderators cannot be accused of censorship: the messages are still there, if some user wants to read them and judge, he can. At the same time users who don't want to be bothered with flaimbaits can read the non-trolloesque ones.

~
~
:wq
Re: New way to limit troublesome users [message #10107 is a reply to message #10098] Mon, 19 May 2003 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Simply create a new user group called 'banned users'. Then make that group have control over all your forum and remove all posting priveleges from members of that group. Then whenever an annoying user appears you can either temporarily or permanently assign them to this group.
That said you have a number of ways to completely ban a user from accessing the forum.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: New way to limit troublesome users [message #10112 is a reply to message #10107] Mon, 19 May 2003 17:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prottoss wrote on Mon, 19 May 2003 18:06

Simply create a new user group called 'banned users'. Then make that group have control over all your forum and remove all posting priveleges from members of that group. Then whenever an annoying user appears you can either temporarily or permanently assign them to this group.
That said you have a number of ways to completely ban a user from accessing the forum.
I already do these things.
The purpose of my proposal was not to ban users from the forum, or to limit their ability to post, but to "relegate" the trolls. In political discussions (for example) the accusation of censorship is often made, in this way nothing is deleted, nobody's access is forbidden. The post are there, if the users wants to read them, they can. At the same time, users who trust moderators' judgement can read interesting posts and avoid trolls.

Slashdot scoring system follows the same principle.

~
~
Re: New way to limit troublesome users [message #10126 is a reply to message #10112] Tue, 20 May 2003 18:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
A rating system such as you suggest would open up a whole can of worms both implementation, performance and usability wise. I therefor think this is something that should not be a part of FUDforum 'proper' and people who require such functionality can add it themselves. Fine tunning it to their own purposes.

I have reviewed similar systems in the past and have considered adding a slashdot like system to the forum. In the end however, my conclusion is that this is something that generally should be a part of a forum.

FUDforum Core Developer
Ynt: Re: New way to limit troublesome users [message #13162 is a reply to message #10112] Tue, 23 September 2003 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tufan is currently offline  tufan   Turkey
Hi,

prottoss wrote on Mon, 19 May 2003 18:06

.... In political discussions (for example) the accusation of censorship is often made, in this way nothing is deleted, nobody's access is forbidden....

I just saw this message. (Almost) the same thing in our forum, only worse: Religion (with really some radical thoughts opposite to conventions), philosophy, social matters, politics and everything is discussed, with the motto "No thought is forbidden or censored here". I just once happened to delete a message! Smile I'm not even just a moderator, I'm the administrator Smile In this life, first time I witnessed my some kind of administrator status being discussed philosophically Smile

I think, our so-called solution is going to be splitting the topic, moving the "bad" message to another forum which will be called Trash, lock that message so there won't be any replies to it. This seems to be least opposed way by users to moderate such a forum.

http://sfx-images.mozilla.org/affiliates/Buttons/firefox2/firefox-spread-btn-1.png
Re: Ynt: Re: New way to limit troublesome users [message #13177 is a reply to message #13162] Tue, 23 September 2003 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The funny thing is, the notify I received regarding this post was written in a language unknown to me Smile

I'm using an english theme, what theme are you using, tiufang?
Can this be the cause of the problem?

~
~
Re: Ynt: Re: New way to limit troublesome users [message #13178 is a reply to message #13177] Tue, 23 September 2003 22:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
This forum is a little weird, meaning that we support multiple languages and allow cross posting using these languages. Which means that when some uses Turkish localization (like tiufang I believe is) notifications you recieve also come in Turkish because at the time of sending the locale was turkish.

FUDforum Core Developer
Ynt: Re: Ynt: Re: New way to limit troublesome users [message #13184 is a reply to message #13178] Wed, 24 September 2003 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tufan is currently offline  tufan   Turkey
Yes, I'm really using the turkish theme here mainly to catch up with and review the translation.

Actually, if you've noted the "Ynt:" in the subject, it's also the turkish translation of the "Re:".

However, I didn't know the notification message being sent with localized text of sender's.

Should it not be in recipient's localization? Would it (Choosing the right text according to every topic subscriber's theme choice) introduce too much overhead when sending the messages?

http://sfx-images.mozilla.org/affiliates/Buttons/firefox2/firefox-spread-btn-1.png
Re: Ynt: Re: Ynt: Re: New way to limit troublesome users [message #13187 is a reply to message #13184] Wed, 24 September 2003 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
It would be too much overhead, on popular forums there maybe a need to sends dosens if not hundreds of messages and fetching localization would result in multiple e-mails rather then a single one.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Ynt: Re: Ynt: Re: New way to limit troublesome users [message #13205 is a reply to message #13187] Wed, 24 September 2003 20:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia wrote on Wed, 24 September 2003 20:47

It would be too much overhead, on popular forums there maybe a need to sends dosens if not hundreds of messages and fetching localization would result in multiple e-mails rather then a single one.
Agree.

...Ilia?!?

~
~
Re: Ynt: Re: Ynt: Re: New way to limit troublesome users [message #13207 is a reply to message #13205] Wed, 24 September 2003 20:36 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
ctbk wrote on Wed, 24 September 2003 16:33

...Ilia?!?

Yes, Ilia Smile That's my real name... for consistency sake I am dropping the alias that I used before.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: The GLOBALS.php
Next Topic: extending the authentication and the forum
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Tue Oct 01 07:15:47 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02702 seconds