FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » Notify doesn't work (sometimes)
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Notify doesn't work (sometimes) [message #12839] Thu, 11 September 2003 13:21 Go to next message
ctbk is currently offline  ctbk   Italy
Many users of our forum are complaining 'cos sometimes they are notified about new replies to their subscribed topic and sometimes they aren't. I've experienced this bug myself, and I couldn't understand the reasons of this behaviour.

I tend to exclude a problem in our mail server, when the bug presents itself, the mails aren't generated at all, there's no track of those missing emails in the SMTP log files.

I think something is going wrong with the post process, but what? What can I do to identify this problem's source?

FUD 2.5.0

~
~
:wq

[Updated on: Thu, 11 September 2003 13:21]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Notify doesn't work (sometimes) [message #12936 is a reply to message #12839] Thu, 18 September 2003 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
1) Upgrade to latest FUDforum.

2) E-mails are NOT sent if the user already has some pending notifications they have not acted upon (visited the message).

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Notify doesn't work (sometimes) [message #12938 is a reply to message #12936] Thu, 18 September 2003 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prottoss wrote on Thu, 18 September 2003 17:08

1) Upgrade to latest FUDforum.

Have you corrected any bug related to the sending of notification emails after 2.5.0? I looked up the changelogs but couldn't find anything related. I would have upgraded before, if I knew this bug had already been addressed.
(Due to the size of our DB and other factors, last upgrade process resulted in a 2-days nightmare, so now I'm gonna upgrade only if there are significant changes/fixes...)

Quote:

2) E-mails are NOT sent if the user already has some pending notifications they have not acted upon (visited the message).

I know that, what I meant was that notification are not sent, even if the user read the topics he was subscribed to.

~
~
Re: Notify doesn't work (sometimes) [message #12946 is a reply to message #12938] Thu, 18 September 2003 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Dunno, I've tried to replicate the problem, but it seems to work fine.

I've been recieving notification about your reply, and notifications on other forums without a hitch.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Notify doesn't work (sometimes) [message #12951 is a reply to message #12946] Thu, 18 September 2003 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, I know. I receive notifications too, this is a bug hard to reproduce, but it happens. I don't know if this is related to the system load, or to some concurrency issue. In our production system sometimes notification arrive, sometimes they don't. Many users complained about that. The mail logs don't show anything unusual, the mail is passed over to the smtp is handled correctly. The missing notifications don't show up in the smtp log at all, as if they weren't generated at all.

~
~
Re: Notify doesn't work (sometimes) [message #12959 is a reply to message #12951] Thu, 18 September 2003 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
If messages are not being generated then it means that the user in question still has some 'unread' messages according to the forum. Hence, no e-mail notification being sent to that user.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Notify doesn't work (sometimes) [message #12989 is a reply to message #12959] Thu, 18 September 2003 19:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here's what's tipical with our installation:

Read a topic
Posted something to that topic (I have notifications activated by default)
Verified I'm subscribed by looking at the "unsubscribe" link on the top of the page
Gone to sleep
The day after: returned to the forum, noticed that there were new message in that topic.
Verified the emptiness of my mailbox
Searched in the smtp logs, found nothing
After reading the topic, could happen that some notify was sent to me, when someone else replied to that topic, as it should be.

Don't know, it seems like the notify is not sent but the db is updated as if it was. I can't find any sense in it, but this is what is happening. Before the 2.5.0 upgrade we had not this problem, or at least bug reports were much more scarce, anyway I never experienced it with my account, now I am.

Sorry for the lenght of the post Smile

~
~
Re: Notify doesn't work (sometimes) [message #12991 is a reply to message #12989] Thu, 18 September 2003 19:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Wait until 2.5.3 release (should be soon) and then upgrade.

At that point we can try to track down this bug if it still present.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Notify doesn't work (sometimes) [message #13650 is a reply to message #12959] Tue, 21 October 2003 19:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wild_Cat is currently offline  Wild_Cat   Ukraine
Ilia писал(а) Чтв, 18 Сентября 2003 19:47

If messages are not being generated then it means that the user in question still has some 'unread' messages according to the forum. Hence, no e-mail notification being sent to that user.

I have had SMTP down on my hosting server for some time. So, as a result a number of people simply did not receive the notifications FUDforum obviously did generate, so those links are still pending for a number of users on a number of forums (I am one of those users not receiving notifications while new ones receive them OK now when the mailserver is working again).

The question is: can I "reset" somehow their "unread messages" status as the administrator (through MySQL may be?). Or, if no - what steps should those people undertake to get this status reset and start receiving notifications? (beacuse the simple fact that I go read this message and even reply to it does not get the mailer start sending me notifications!)

Lady of Avalon
Re: Notify doesn't work (sometimes) [message #13652 is a reply to message #13650] Tue, 21 October 2003 20:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
If you click on 'forgot password' link it'll send you e-mail confirmation message if your account is not yet confirmed.

You can manually 'confirm' user accounts as an administrator in the user manager if you like. As for read status you can modify it via mysql, but for proper instructions you need to tell me which version of FUDforum are you using.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Notify doesn't work (sometimes) [message #13662 is a reply to message #13652] Tue, 21 October 2003 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Because of SMTP problems, I had to learn earlier to toggle confirmation status of accounts via admin panel, but my account does not seem to require confirmation (I changed e-mail and remained "confirmed", for more toggle e-mail confirmation for my own account doesn't work, leaving it always at Y and I verified well in MySQL that it's set to Y)

I am using 2.5.2 but were thinking about upgrading to 2.5.3RC3 tomorrow, does it make much difference? I won't upgrade awaiting for you reply.

Actually I stopped receiving notifications while others still did after some upgrade (i made almost all of them susequently except RCs starting by 2.3.Cool as well as got a number of other bugs. May be I sould do a clean install, but if the core is in mySQL tables, it won't help, huh?

And one more question - if the message is included in notification, does reading the e-mail count as reading the forum message? If no, sending text in notification may become a bad service to the users. But if yes, will he receive then every reply?

Lady of Avalon
Re: Notify doesn't work (sometimes) [message #13663 is a reply to message #13662] Tue, 21 October 2003 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The admin account is a 'special' account if often can work even if it is not confirmed. Afterall, an admin can confirm their own account if they want to, it's pointless to require account confirmation.

When you use full-body notification, meaning that the entire message is included in the e-mail, the original message is not marked read. To mark a message read you MUST read it on the forum, or use 'mark all read' or 'mark forum read'.

Before doing an upgrade, try running consistency checker, that can often resolve problems. As far as upgrading, the changelogs are online, if any of the listed bugs fixed affect you then upgrade, if not then don't.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Notify doesn't work (sometimes) [message #13669 is a reply to message #13663] Wed, 22 October 2003 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I do run consistency checker after any changes, I only recently upgraded to 2.5.2 and run consistency checker after it more than once.

I see now that when I come to the forum, it doesn't show me any unread messages by icons etc. But when I hit the link "unread messages" at the top, it shows me the whole forum almost, including my own posts! It should mean that there are two mechanisms determining whether I have read this or that message or not. What are they?

Sadly, hitting the "mark forum read" didn't make the forum send me notification for new messages in this forum. Yet, this forum did not appear like everything else in "unread messages" list. MORE, I created new themes and don't get notifications for replies to them either! Although in mysql I am well marked subscribed in _thread_notify table, and my email has well "confirmed" set to Y

I am now totally confused. What could be the cause? And where I should look in mysql to see if the mailer considers me having unread messages or there is something else which prevents him from sending me notifications about replies in threads? (I do receive new private message notifications and mass mail!)

I do need to upgrade to 2.5.3 for merge thread function as well as for my change order bug: I hope that is the very one problem I have ever since 2.5.0.

Lady of Avalon
Re: Notify doesn't work (sometimes) [message #13670 is a reply to message #13669] Wed, 22 October 2003 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Let's take it a step at a time

1) Click on mark all read
2) Click on "unread messages" (there should be none)
3) As another user post a message in a forum you are subscribed to (or a topic you are subscribed to). At this point e-mail should've went out.
4) If you did not get any e-mail check your profile to see that the notifications will be going to your e-mail address not ICQ.
5) Make sure PHP can send e-mail.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Notify doesn't work (sometimes) [message #13676 is a reply to message #13670] Wed, 22 October 2003 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, I obviously didn't make myself clear in the last message.
What I was trying to say is exactly that I did those steps.
I'll try to be consise by points also:

1) I don't have any unread messages now according to "unread messages" link at the top of forum home page, but I still get no notifications.

2) I do have another test user who does receive notifications of new replies (on another e-mail of course) and I do receive pm notify and mass-mail messages to my unnotified admin account - which means the PHP & the mailer funcion do work.

3) I ran consistency check & SQL table optimizer and created some new themes and I imitated the reply with the help of this "another user" account. This account receives notifications - I don't. Another admin doesn't receive them either although he does receive mass mail and pm notifications, just like me (I havent' asked him to go press "mark all read" all over the forum)

I'd still like to fix it for all users who might be experienceing the same problem mysefl - after I've done it for myself first of course! You were going to tell me how could I amend (at least check?) the read status trhough MySQL? Shall you? My version is still 2.5.2! Or anything else to check?

Lady of Avalon
Re: Notify doesn't work (sometimes) [message #13677 is a reply to message #13676] Wed, 22 October 2003 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
If you have click marked all read the unread status can be easily checked. In the users table check the value of the last_read (timestamp). Any message posted after that date will be unread.

Also, check inside the forum_notify & thread_notify tables to make sure you do actually have subscriptions.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Notify doesn't work (sometimes) [message #13695 is a reply to message #13677] Thu, 23 October 2003 00:25 Go to previous message
Well...
MySQL says:

My timestamp was 22/10/2003 11:51

new messages in existing threads at later time in two forums:
one of them - I am subbed to both forum and thread
another - I am subbed to the thread

No notifications came!

My other admin does receive message now (may be not all of them - he didn't try, but at least some!)

One last hope left - upgrade to 2.5.3 (for now), may be...

Nope.

The change position bug (for all 3 places where it exists) also remained the way it was for me - discussed on this forum before and dropped out because "could not replicate the bug".

I give up. Shouldn't have done so much upgrades may be. Next time will be more clever.

Lady of Avalon
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Forum marks ALL posts as UNREAD, & DOESN'T show new posts in tree view?
Next Topic: Signature line
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun Oct 20 18:41:29 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02467 seconds