FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » newsgroups!?!
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
Re: newsgroups!?! [message #14570 is a reply to message #14558] Mon, 17 November 2003 19:50 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
hy2jinxnc is currently offline  hy2jinxnc   United States

It's quite easy and is detailed in the documentation.
http://fud.prohost.org/doc/d/html/admin.newsgroup.manager.html
Create one forum per newsgroup. Then use Newsgroup Manger to fill in the information, most of which is exactly what you would put into a newsreader. Once it is created, look at the bottom for "Exec Line". This tells you what to feed the php executable to import messages. Where the php executable is depends on how your web server is setup (try "which php" if you have shell access). You will need that location to verify or fix the first line of:
[FUDdata_dir]\scripts\nntp.php

Note that by default FUD's nntp import script tries to bring in all messages available. If you want to start at a particular spot you'll need to put the starting post's number in the file:
[FUDdata_dir]\errors\.nntp\[news_server_name]-[group_name]
You can find that number using your news reader and looking at the headers (typically the Xref header) or by telneting to port 119 on the news server (if you feel comfortable using a telnet interface).

If you want to only import X number of messages each time the nntp.php script is run, you will need to modify:
[FUDdata_dir]\include\nntp.inc
If your web host limits the amount of time a script can run (30 seconds for me), limiting the number of messages it imports at one time or having it write the current message id as it goes (so the place it is on isn't lost) is the best strategy I have found. If you need help with either of those I can give you what I have done, but can't say it is the best way to do it.. just what works for me.

Once the initial import is complete you will need to setup a cron job to run the script at specified intervals. I think it is best to run the inital import by hand, via telnet or ssh if you don't have the server locally available and do have shell access, if possible. Example:
/[path]/[to]/php /[path]/[to]/[FUDdata]/scripts/nntp.php 1
Then you know exactly what to use for the cron job. Note that the cron job is only for import of new messages not posted via the forum and that anything posted via the forum will go directly to the news server as soon as it is posted, if "Synchronize Forum Posts to Newsgroup" is "Yes" and "Moderate Posts" is "No". If you are only making an archive and do not need to keep looking for new posts, then the cron job is not needed or only needed once.
[Message index]

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message icon5.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Disable RSS from one forum of a group
Next Topic: Is „PHP as a cgi-wrapper” instead of „PHP as apache module” a problem?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun Sep 29 05:27:39 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.06811 seconds