FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » merging an elist with a forum
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
merging an elist with a forum [message #14865] Sat, 22 November 2003 22:32 Go to next message
chas   United States
a quick look tells me that a forum member can post to a forum and that message can go to an email discussion list. is the reverse true?

I have a dozen elists which I would like to "reflect or mirror" with an a forum for each. iow, a LOT of my 4,000 list members only want emails for their online discussion venue, while many (younger?) like the BB or web board venue better. I would like to be able to satisfy both. thus, cross subscribe the list and its twin forum. so that messages sent to one go to the other and v.v.
And, continue my list arcbiving to the eScribe site.

This is the first list I have seen which addresses this concern in ANY manner much less archiving.
I am very damned impressed!!! But, I need to have total mirroring between each list and its opposite forum.

help? can this be done?

thanks
chas
Re: merging an elist with a forum [message #14867 is a reply to message #14865] Sat, 22 November 2003 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
The primary goal of the mailing import is to allow mailing list messages to go into the forum, so a definate YES is the answer to your first question.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: merging an elist with a forum [message #14869 is a reply to message #14867] Sat, 22 November 2003 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chas   United States
generally speaking, how does this work? are we talking a live connection between the forum and elist, in both directions? or, is this a chron job style import??
thanks
chas
Re: merging an elist with a forum [message #14870 is a reply to message #14869] Sun, 23 November 2003 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
live connection?

When a forum need to send a message it sends an e-mail, the importing of e-mail can be done via any means you want. I suggest using procmail, but other people have done it via other means.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: merging an elist with a forum [message #14872 is a reply to message #14870] Sun, 23 November 2003 01:38 Go to previous message
chas   United States
I am so excited about this. I finally see light at the end of the tunnel that has been dark for about 2 yrs now..
live connection means that as a message is sent to the server of the elist, it is sent on to the forum and immediately posted there.
and again, v.v.

do not understand procmail and such like but I am sure that I can find someone to help me with that.
I WILL download your software and set up a trial forum.
thanks for being so helpful
chas
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: subscriptions link on main pages
Next Topic: Handle ]Code[ Tagged Text with CSS
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat Sep 28 22:07:38 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02828 seconds