FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » USENET sync breaks when it encounters posts w/"null" subjects (RESOLVED)
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
USENET sync breaks when it encounters posts w/"null" subjects (RESOLVED) [message #158001] Mon, 19 January 2009 01:18 Go to next message
kerryg is currently offline  kerryg   Canada
Hi there. This thread is intended to organize information on resolving syncing FUDForum to USENET groups which contain "null" subject posts.

I'm trying to get FUDForum to sync with a private USENET group with an AWOL admin. Four or five posts scattered around three USENET subgroups were originally posted with empty subject lines, which I gather is "null" subjects. The admin cannot be reached to delete the posts.

When I attempt to sync FUDForum with the groups that contain those posts, sync proceeds fine right up until it hits one of the problem posts. At this point FUDForum cycles back and duplicates the immediately previous posts in an endless loop.

Frank has posted one patch (which has not yet resolved the problem) and we'll add to this thread as we move towards a resolution.

First patch tried:

http://cvs.prohost.org/c/index.cgi/FUDforum/rlog?f=install/forum_data/scrip ts/maillist.php

[Updated on: Thu, 05 February 2009 07:00]

Report message to a moderator

Re: USENET sync breaks when it encounters posts w/"null" subjects [message #158007 is a reply to message #158001] Mon, 19 January 2009 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
The patch was for a similar error when loading E-mail without a subject line. It was quite easy to simulate and therefore to fix. However, I'm not sure how to simulate a USENET load without subject lines. Can you please provide me with a test case or access to a system where I can debug the code?
Re: USENET sync breaks when it encounters posts w/"null" subjects [message #158051 is a reply to message #158007] Thu, 22 January 2009 21:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Can you please try this patch and let me know if it solves the problem?

http://cvs.prohost.org/c/index.cgi/FUDforum/chngview?cn=11827
Re: USENET sync breaks when it encounters posts w/"null" subjects [message #158053 is a reply to message #158051] Fri, 23 January 2009 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I applied the patch, and am getting this error now:

/home/*******/FUDforum/scripts/nntp.php: line 1: ?php: No such file or directory
/home/*******/FUDforum/scripts/nntp.php: line 2: /FAKEFS: is a directory
/home/*******/FUDforum/scripts/nntp.php: line 3: syntax error near unexpected token `('
/home/*******/FUDforum/scripts/nntp.php: line 3: `* copyright            : (C) 2001-2007 Advanced Internet Designs Inc.'

Re: USENET sync breaks when it encounters posts w/"null" subjects [message #158054 is a reply to message #158053] Fri, 23 January 2009 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Something went wrong with your patching. The file must look like this one: http://cvs.prohost.org/c/index.cgi/FUDforum/getfile/install/forum_data/incl ude/nntp.inc?v=1.76
Re: USENET sync breaks when it encounters posts w/"null" subjects [message #158057 is a reply to message #158054] Fri, 23 January 2009 07:59 Go to previous message
You're right, that was a botched patching job I did. Fixed now.

The bad news is that the third forum, the MAIN forum there, is still failing now (loops back at July 3 2005); check emails for error messages. The good news is it's not failing because of the "null header" issue any more - the "null header" posts come across as (no subject) now, and the second of the three groups is now successfully synced - the "null subject" issue itself appears to now be RESOLVED - great work!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Postgres 8.03 Issue
Next Topic: THEMES DELETED? (RESOLVED)
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu Jun 06 11:10:45 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03002 seconds