FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » OOPs (Can I use FUDForum for Education Topics)
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
OOPs [message #159159] Sun, 10 May 2009 15:13 Go to next message
NCCU-CEDI-EC   United States
I am teaching entrepreneurship to low wealth communities. I ran a ForumMatrix Analysis and FUDForum addressed all of my needs.

However, I may have mistaken the specific purpose of FUDForum. I thought it to be a place to implement an actual Forum on any topic. After reviewing all the topics I see that this may not be the case. FUDForum is not like BlogSpot where one can implement any Blog but it is a Meta Forum on Forums.

Please assist and tell if I may start a forum on FUDForum that does not pertain or relate to Forum development.

Further could you suggest a forum site that is equivalent to BlogSpot and has the richess of tools as FUDForum where I can develop a free forum for an educational topic.

Thanks in advanced Henry
Re: OOPs [message #159160 is a reply to message #159159] Sun, 10 May 2009 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Hi Henry,

Sure you can. After installation you can change the title and create your own categories and forums based on the type of community you want to set-up. You can also change the header, footer and other templates to match an education type website. For example, look at CHFWeb's HomeSchool forum and educationworld.com/. More examples are listed here.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: OOPs [message #159171 is a reply to message #159159] Sun, 10 May 2009 19:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kerryg is currently offline  kerryg   Canada
NCCU-CEDI-EC wrote on Sun, 10 May 2009 08:13
I am teaching entrepreneurship to low wealth communities. I ran a ForumMatrix Analysis and FUDForum addressed all of my needs.

However, I may have mistaken the specific purpose of FUDForum. I thought it to be a place to implement an actual Forum on any topic. After reviewing all the topics I see that this may not be the case. FUDForum is not like BlogSpot where one can implement any Blog but it is a Meta Forum on Forums.

Please assist and tell if I may start a forum on FUDForum that does not pertain or relate to Forum development.

Hi Henry - if I'm understanding your question correctly - this is not really FUDForum itself that you're looking at here, in the sense you mean. This is merely the support site for the software called FUDforum. It does indeed run on an installation of FUDforum software, but the categories here are dedicated to supporting the software itself.

There's no provision here for adding categories for topics outside that; it doesn't work like that. The way FUDforum works is that if you have a server, you download the FUDforum software, upload it to that server, install it, and then create categories and forums customized to the needs of your particular interest or community.

If you don't have your own server, you can use a hosting service. I use hostmonster.com, but there are many good ones and it's quite inexpensive to do nowadays. You customize your own categories and subforums to serve the needs of your own target community, just as this particular forum has been customized to serve the needs of users of the FUDForum software.

I'm not aware of any services online that are the forum equivalents of what blogspot is to blogging - ie you just create a free account and it gives you all the tools right there to run it virtually. I think generally you'd need your own server space to host such a thing, and you'd need to install software such as FUDforum (as you've seen in the forum matrix, there are others, but we're rather fond of our own Very Happy).

I haven't checked things out exhaustively; maybe such a thing as you're describing, a free virtual forum server, exists. But if you don't find such a thing, and you don't want to deal with setting up your own server, consider going with a hosting service (you should be able to get everything you need for a few dollars a month) and installing and running FUDForum on it; we'll help you get set up and running.

Hope I got the question right!

[Updated on: Sun, 10 May 2009 19:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: OOPs [message #159176 is a reply to message #159160] Sun, 10 May 2009 22:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Please see my response to message #159171

Thank you for answering. I do not have the facilities to install a server etc.

[Updated on: Sun, 10 May 2009 22:16]

Report message to a moderator

Re: OOPs [message #159177 is a reply to message #159171] Sun, 10 May 2009 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I understand now. I need to host and FUD software will provide the forum. It is beyond my scope to host at this time. Thank you for the response.

If there is a way to eliminate me from your forum, please do so or send me a post and I will remove me.

Henry
Re: OOPs [message #159194 is a reply to message #159177] Tue, 12 May 2009 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Peter Vendike is currently offline  Peter Vendike   Denmark
Translator
Blogspot is Google driven, so is:

groups.google.com, where you can put up your own free groups.

You can also try: www.ning.com

icon6.gif  Re: OOPs [message #159741 is a reply to message #159159] Fri, 19 June 2009 02:53 Go to previous message
The Witcher is currently offline  The Witcher   United States
NCCU-CEDI-EC wrote on Sun, 10 May 2009 10:13
could you suggest a forum site that is equivalent to BlogSpot and has the richess of tools as FUDForum where I can develop a free forum for an educational topic.

Thanks in advanced Henry

I see that naudefj, and kerryg, have already answered you query in their usual competent fashion but I will go one better.

For educational purposes I will bend over backwards to help, if I can, that is if you have no objections and have not found something better.

If you have no objections to being assisted by, someone who considers them selves to be a rank amateur, that is.

I already own a domain that might very well suit your purposes (enccc.info, which is currently parked at the registrar and is paid for through 12/13/2010).

It was part of a planned project for Eastern North Carolina Crystal Coast which did not make the cut. Additionally I have a host with ample free space and bandwidth that I can place at your disposal.

I do this as a hobby and as a public service, so your "teaching entrepreneurship to low wealth communities" sounds well suited as a project.

If you are interested let me know. Give me an idea of a few forum names, and descriptions etc that you have in mind and I will throw up a sample for you.

"I'm a Witcher, I solve human problems; not always using a sword!"
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: BACKUP from CRON
Next Topic: Mail function troobleshootings for Gmail account and SMTP
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu Jun 06 15:53:41 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03219 seconds