FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » The availability of IP addresses to regular users
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
The availability of IP addresses to regular users [message #160077] Wed, 22 July 2009 08:16 Go to next message
Matt Walsh   United States
G'day all, I am not terribly technically inclined, so forgive what may be a question with an obvious answer. I've noticed some users mentioning of late that they are able to see IPs of other members as an admin or moderator would, despite not having those privileges themselves. Is this possible via any means? Are there programmes that enable one to do this? Cheers.
Re: The availability of IP addresses to regular users [message #160078 is a reply to message #160077] Wed, 22 July 2009 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
I think they are taking a chance.

1) Create a new account on your forum and login to see if the IPs of other users are visible.

2) Ask these users for a screenshot or steps to see these IPs.
icon6.gif  Re: The availability of IP addresses to regular users [message #160080 is a reply to message #160077] Wed, 22 July 2009 17:05 Go to previous message
The Witcher is currently offline  The Witcher   United States
I don't know what naudefj meant by "taking a chance" however there are those users who just like to agitate, and you would be a better judge than I if that is the case.

However I would immediately Check and see if you have : "Display IP Publicly" enabled or not!

It will be the 9th option after setting your servers timezone in the General Settings section of the admin control panel.

Quote:

Display IP Publicly:
Publicly display the IP address that the message was posted from. The administrators will always see the IPs and so will the forum moderators in the forums they moderate.

As for soft ware there are available certain programs and addons which display IP such as "HostIP.info Geolocation Plugin" for fire fox which I use. But that only displays the ip of the server that a link is coming from not the users IP.

So unless a user was linking direct from their own PC (doubtful) it would not display any information about the users IP.

There is also a site called danasoft which offers a small widget that displays each individual Users own IP address and other such information , which some people find quite distracting

Although you may see your own IP, ISP, Operating system, and browser type in the danasoft widgit sign, I cannot, what I see is my own information.

I hope that helps.

"I'm a Witcher, I solve human problems; not always using a sword!"

[Updated on: Wed, 22 July 2009 18:56]

Report message to a moderator

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Define an unexpected error?
Next Topic: fud_index
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Mon Oct 21 05:26:45 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01719 seconds