FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » NNTP suggestion
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
NNTP suggestion [message #16089] Tue, 13 January 2004 20:23 Go to previous message
Gribnif is currently offline  Gribnif   United States
When importing newsgroup messages, you currently have the option to automatically create FUD accounts for posters. This has the big drawback that it can potentially create hundreds of accounts for users that will never use the forum itself.

So I have this option turned off. The problem with this is that all messages are labelled as coming from the anonymous (guest) user. This makes it difficult to see who really sent a message, and who sent the reply to it, because they all look like the same person.

So, I'd like to make two suggestions:

1. Put the real email address of the sender at the start of the message. So, if "foo(at)bar(dot)com" sends an email message to the newsgroup, the message might have the text "Message originally posted by foo(at)bar(dot)com" prepended at the top of the body. It doesn't have to go into the header, since I'd imagine that would be pretty difficult.

2. Add a new setting for the account to assign to these anonymous postings. Right now, my "Anonymous Coward" user is actually called "Guest". For newsgroups, however, I think it would be better to have an account called "Unknown Newsgroup User", so that it's more obvious to users what this means.
[Message index]

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Attach mangled sig to mailing list postings
Next Topic: Alternative registration pr. cell phone?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Jul 05 12:48:14 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05521 seconds