FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » turkish character set issues after upgrade (conversion didn't work)
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
turkish character set issues after upgrade [message #162006] Wed, 10 March 2010 22:04 Go to next message
tufan is currently offline  tufan   Turkey
Hi,

We have upgraded our forum from 2.7.4 to 3.0.0 . It seems the database character set has been changed to utf8_unicode_ci. Now all the Turkish-specific characters seem to be broken Sad

For example, ı is displayed as ý and ş is displayed as þ . The problematic characters are:

ş Ş ı İ ğ Ğ

Topic titles, and post contents have been affected differently. That may be because some posters used computers with different charsets for posting. Some post contents are displayed correctly when I choose ISO-8859-9 as character set in my browser, others are not. New posts from UTF-8 computers like my Ubuntu don't seem to be affected, and the characters in this post are displayed correctly as well, but our old content is not.

What can we do to solve the problem? Is there a way to replace ALL instances of some characters in the WHOLE content of the forum?

http://sfx-images.mozilla.org/affiliates/Buttons/firefox2/firefox-spread-btn-1.png
Re: turkish character set issues after upgrade [message #162007 is a reply to message #162006] Wed, 10 March 2010 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, I found to replace the chars in db:

update table_name set column_name = replace(column_name,'oldchar', 'newchar');

Now i have to convert the content, which I suppose is under $DATA_DIR/messages/ .

iconv seems to be working on the content in these files. But I couldn't be sure the method fudforum finds the needed content. By counting the chars in the files? If I convert from ISO-8859-9 to UTF8 using iconv on the files, will fudforum be still able to find the content of the posts?

http://sfx-images.mozilla.org/affiliates/Buttons/firefox2/firefox-spread-btn-1.png
Re: turkish character set issues after upgrade [message #162008 is a reply to message #162007] Thu, 11 March 2010 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bug me Smile
once again, fudforum owners thought everything already... compact messages with charset conversion worked like a charm.

sorry for posting in panic, you can delete the whole thread if you wish.

Re: turkish character set issues after upgrade [message #162009 is a reply to message #162006] Thu, 11 March 2010 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
By default subjects are stored in the database while message bodies are stored in files (for speed).

The Compact Messages ACP allows users to change the charset of message bodies.
Re: turkish character set issues after upgrade [message #162010 is a reply to message #162009] Thu, 11 March 2010 06:21 Go to previous message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Sorry for the late reply, I see you already solved the problem.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Password reset issue
Next Topic: Parse error
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun Jun 16 23:51:59 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02257 seconds