FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » 2.77 -> 3.0 upgrade Issue
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
2.77 -> 3.0 upgrade Issue [message #162150] Fri, 26 March 2010 22:56 Go to next message
gotzoom? is currently offline  gotzoom?   United States
I would like to upgrade from FUD Forum 2.7.7 to 3.0.1. From reading over the docs, it seems that I need to go to 3.0 first and then on to 3.0.1.

Fortunately, I decided to do this in a Dev environment, so I'm not hard down, but I'd like to get this sorted out so I can upgrade my prod environment and replace the server in the process. I got the Dev environment set up based on an rsync of the FUD Forum directories and built the db from a dump of the Prod forum. I'm also upgrading from RHEL4 (Apache 2.0 + PHP 4.3 + Mysql 4.1) to CentOS5 (Apache 2.2 + PHP 5.1.6 + Mysql 5.0.) I started by performing a Mysql table upgrade (from 4.1 to 5.0,) then verified that the Dev copy of the forum works properly. First, I performed a consistency check and db check prior to doing the upgrade. I copied the 3.0 upgrade.php script in place and set the permissions to be owned by the Apache user and gave it 775 permissions. When I run the upgrade script, it processed a good number of files and finally failed throwing an error. I've attached a screenshot showing the error. I logged in to the admin portal and ran a consistency check a second time (which resulted in no errors) and tried the upgrade script again. I am still getting the same errors.

Some additional background on the forum... It's been running for about 5 years. I can't remember what version I started out with, but it was the current version at the time. I have upgraded a couple times, as I recall, but other than updating the RedHat revision of the Apache, PHP and Mysql RPMs, nothing else has changed on the forum. I run two themes. The stock (largely unmodified) theme and one skin that I downloaded and imported to the forum. No hackery whatsoever was done to the forum files or db schema.

Any suggestions on how I can go about troubleshooting this?

Error text for searchability:
ERROR: Duplicate entry 'com ' for key 2
QUERY: ALTER TABLE fud26_search CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_unicode_ci

index.php?t=getfile&id=5951&private=0
  • Attachment: fud_error.jpg
    (Size: 37.21KB, Downloaded 1776 times)

[Updated on: Fri, 26 March 2010 22:56]

Report message to a moderator

Re: 2.77 -> 3.0 upgrade Issue [message #162153 is a reply to message #162150] Fri, 26 March 2010 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just for fun, I also tried blowing away the database that I had upgraded from Mysql 4 -> Mysql 5. Then I did a mysqldump from the Prod db with the plan to import it in to the Mysql 5 db. I created a new db and set the character set to UTF-8, then did the import.

I get the same exact error:

index.php?t=getfile&id=5953&private=0
Re: 2.77 -> 3.0 upgrade Issue [message #162154 is a reply to message #162153] Sat, 27 March 2010 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Try to change the "ALTER TABLE ... CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET.." statement to "ALTER IGNORE TABLE ...". If it works, I'll add it to the 3.0.1 version.
Re: 2.77 -> 3.0 upgrade Issue [message #162159 is a reply to message #162150] Sat, 27 March 2010 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That seems to have done the trick. I'll poke around and see how the post-upgrade forum looks and report back if I find any issues.

Screenshot of the continuing upgrade from where it errored out previously:

index.php?t=getfile&id=5954&private=0
Re: 2.77 -> 3.0 upgrade Issue [message #162162 is a reply to message #162159] Sat, 27 March 2010 18:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Excellent! Thanks for the feedback.
Re: 2.77 -> 3.0 upgrade Issue [message #162169 is a reply to message #162150] Mon, 29 March 2010 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I poked around through the upgraded forum this weekend and there is some data loss. Random posts are just empty, where there is definitely a message on the active forum. Also, it seems not to have converted some Japanese character set text.

I'll try another upgrade with a fresh db import and check it again.
Re: 2.77 -> 3.0 upgrade Issue [message #162172 is a reply to message #162169] Mon, 29 March 2010 18:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I'll be extremely surprised if you've lost any messages. Some search terms (fud26_search) maybe. Anyway, it would be good if you can confirm.
Re: 2.77 -> 3.0 upgrade Issue [message #162195 is a reply to message #162150] Wed, 31 March 2010 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yay for spambots. Mad

I did another complete upgrade yesterday and the fix seems to work without issue, as the upgrade completed without error. The message loss that I initially saw, must have been related to the way that I made a copy of the db.

I do believe that I found a bug, though. I don't think you're handling extended character sets correctly when you upgrade the user profile signatures. Not sure where this lives in the db, though. In my example, a user's signature has Japanese characters (all katakana and hiragana. didn't test with kanji) and after the upgrade, I get a garbled mess where the Japanese characters normally are. You can go into the profile and change the garbled characters to Japanese and everything works happily as normal from there. I didn't notice this problem happening anywhere but the signatures.
Re: 2.77 -> 3.0 upgrade Issue [message #162196 is a reply to message #162195] Wed, 31 March 2010 17:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
gotzoom? wrote:
I did another complete upgrade yesterday and the fix seems to work without issue, as the upgrade completed without error.

Great news!

gotzoom? wrote:
I do believe that I found a bug, though. I don't think you're handling extended character sets correctly when you upgrade the user profile signatures.

Signatures are stored in the fud30_users table. FUDforum makes no attempt to convert the charset of table data, except for issuing an ALTER TABLE CONVERT statement. If something is wrong, you may want to log a call with the MySQL team.
Re: 2.77 -> 3.0 upgrade Issue [message #162199 is a reply to message #162150] Wed, 31 March 2010 22:01 Go to previous message
Yep, yep. good call. The text is garbled in my mysqldump. Garbage in = garbage out, as they say. I guess I'll have to research what mysqldump switches I need to use to preserve extended character sets. Thanks again!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Parse error
Next Topic: Email issues in Fud Forum 3.0.0
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Mon Jun 17 03:15:39 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02246 seconds