FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » NNTP Syncing :: Header for Reply from Email Notification Doesn't Contain Reference in Header
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
NNTP Syncing :: Header for Reply from Email Notification Doesn't Contain Reference in Header [message #162363] Fri, 30 April 2010 17:34 Go to next message
jm2morri is currently offline  jm2morri   Canada
Hello,

Here is a bug I came across. I have many forums which sync to nntp servers. In general that syncing works pretty well.

I had a user enable the "Post Notification" option on a new topic that he created. He received an email when another user responded. In the email, there is a link that goes directly to a forum page where he can type in his reply. So far so good.

The problem is that the header sent to the nntp server on this message was missing the "References" field. So on the nntp server it showed up as a new thread and not as a reply to a previous thread (like it should have).

I have done a test on this and reproduced the exact behaviour. I can send the full headers from the two test cases (reply from forum, reply via reply link in email) via PM if required. I'd rather not post those details.

Cheers,

James.
Re: NNTP Syncing :: Header for Reply from Email Notification Doesn't Contain Reference in Header [message #162368 is a reply to message #162363] Sun, 02 May 2010 20:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Can you please e-mail the headers to me?
Re: NNTP Syncing :: Header for Reply from Email Notification Doesn't Contain Reference in Header [message #162379 is a reply to message #162368] Tue, 04 May 2010 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sent via email.

James.
Re: NNTP Syncing :: Header for Reply from Email Notification Doesn't Contain Reference in Header [message #162397 is a reply to message #162379] Wed, 05 May 2010 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
FUDforum will store the Message-ID for messages imported from a newsgroup. Forum replies to these messages will go back to the same thread when pushed out to the newsgroup.

Messages originating from the forum will not have a Message-ID when pushed out to the newsgroup. However, when they are re-encountered during import, the forum will capture and store their Message-ID's in the database.

The problem you are seeing is most likely replies to messages before their Message-ID's can be captured. The solution would be to run the import script more frequently or to wait a while before you reply.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: NNTP Syncing :: Header for Reply from Email Notification Doesn't Contain Reference in Header [message #162398 is a reply to message #162397] Wed, 05 May 2010 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj wrote on Wed, 05 May 2010 06:35
FUDforum will store the Message-ID for messages imported from a newsgroup. Forum replies to these messages will go back to the same thread when pushed out to the newsgroup.

Messages originating from the forum will not have a Message-ID when pushed out to the newsgroup. However, when they are re-encountered during import, the forum will capture and store their Message-ID's in the database.

The problem you are seeing is most likely replies to messages before their Message-ID's can be captured. The solution would be to run the import script more frequently or to wait a while before you reply.

OK, that makes sense as to why it's happening. But I can't just ask all my users to wait to reply--that's the whole point of the forum.

I'd suggest a setting that disables the "reply" and "quote" links in the subscription mail that goes out. If I understand it correctly, if the user clicks on the "View Topic/Message" link in the subscription email then they'd go to the message on the forum and if they reply from there then things will be OK.

Where is the template for that subscription email? Perhaps I could simply remove them for now so I won't run into this again.

Cheers,

James.
Re: NNTP Syncing :: Header for Reply from Email Notification Doesn't Contain Reference in Header [message #162399 is a reply to message #162398] Wed, 05 May 2010 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Yea, but it will help if you run the script more frequently. For example on a minute or 30 sec interval.

PS: I'm not going to make any changes. I don't use this feature and there will be no benefit for me in doing so.

Best of luck!
Re: NNTP Syncing :: Header for Reply from Email Notification Doesn't Contain Reference in Header [message #162400 is a reply to message #162399] Wed, 05 May 2010 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj wrote on Wed, 05 May 2010 07:48
Yea, but it will help if you run the script more frequently. For example on a minute or 30 sec interval.

Sure. I run it every 5 minutes right now. I don't want to go any faster because it actually helps when sync'ng with a news group. The nntp protocol allows a user to recall a post from the server. I get emails when this happens and I remove the message from the forum database. Most times this happens within a minute of the initial post so this delay means most of these posts never make it to my forum in the first place. So sync'ng faster would actually create more work for me.

Quote:

PS: I'm not going to make any changes. I don't use this feature and there will be no benefit for me in doing so.

That is fine. Could you at least point me in the right direction to the subscription email template where the link is created?

James.
Re: NNTP Syncing :: Header for Reply from Email Notification Doesn't Contain Reference in Header [message #162401 is a reply to message #162400] Wed, 05 May 2010 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Kwoteer:
Could you at least point me in the right direction to the subscription email template where the link is created?

iemail.tmpl

Kwoteer:
The nntp protocol allows a user to recall a post from the server. I get emails when this happens and I remove the message from the forum database.

We need to add the automated recall of post to some sort of a TODO list.
Re: NNTP Syncing :: Header for Reply from Email Notification Doesn't Contain Reference in Header [message #162402 is a reply to message #162401] Wed, 05 May 2010 17:13 Go to previous message
naudefj wrote on Wed, 05 May 2010 09:14
Kwoteer:
Could you at least point me in the right direction to the subscription email template where the link is created?

iemail.tmpl

Thank you. I'll start there.

Quote:

Kwoteer:
The nntp protocol allows a user to recall a post from the server. I get emails when this happens and I remove the message from the forum database.

We need to add the automated recall of post to some sort of a TODO list.

I agree. That would be great.

James.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: FUDforum 3.0.1 upgrade problems
Next Topic: ldap user login
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Mon Jun 17 00:47:23 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02224 seconds