FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » better design
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
better design [message #163] Tue, 22 January 2002 09:54 Go to next message
Ecxeleron is currently offline  Ecxeleron   Australia
anyone would agree that the design of Fud is ugly, so I've created a better one in my spare time. see http://epc.home3.dk3.com/fud/index.htm for a preview

made link a url Smile
  • Attachment: fud.zip
    (Size: 66.64KB, Downloaded 1315 times)

Re: better design [message #164 is a reply to message #163] Tue, 22 January 2002 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aharon is currently offline  Aharon   United States
The Ecxeleron wrote on Tue, 22 January 2002 4:54 AM

anyone would agree that the design of Fud is ugly, so I've created a better one in my spare time. see [url]http://epc.home3.dk3.com/fud/index.htm[/url] for a preview

For a minute there I got excited becuase I thought you made the forums all pretty Smile

The redone homepage does look nice though!

Re: better design [message #166 is a reply to message #163] Tue, 22 January 2002 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Would it be possible to make that design a little brighter? I have this unnatural dislike of dark layouts. Razz

Thanks for trying to improve on my meager artistic skill Smile

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: better design [message #167 is a reply to message #166] Tue, 22 January 2002 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brighter? brighter looks like this and all would agree that this is uglyCool .
BTW. The fonts in the forum need to be smaller

Re: better design [message #168 is a reply to message #167] Tue, 22 January 2002 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The Ecxeleron wrote on Tue, 22 January 2002 5:02 PM

Brighter? brighter looks like this and all would agree that this is uglyCool .
BTW. The fonts in the forum need to be smaller

I know, I've installed windows on one of my computers so I got it look better with IE 6.0.

I'll be putting the new css on this very forum Razz later tonight, hopefully it is better looking then the current one.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: better design [message #188 is a reply to message #163] Wed, 23 January 2002 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wow, now Fud is perfection, did i mention that Fud is perfection, oh I did. WOW

Re: better design [message #189 is a reply to message #163] Wed, 23 January 2002 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what OS doo u use?

Re: better design [message #190 is a reply to message #189] Wed, 23 January 2002 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hackie is currently offline  hackie   Canada
Core Developer

The Ecxeleron wrote on Wed, 23 January 2002 2:51 AM

what OS doo u use?

What do you mean what OS? for what? personal computers? the server?

cc intelligence.c -o intelligence
$ ./intelligence
Segmentation fault
Re: better design [message #192 is a reply to message #188] Wed, 23 January 2002 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The Ecxeleron wrote on Wed, 23 January 2002 2:49 AM

Wow, now Fud is perfection, did i mention that Fud is perfection, oh I did. WOW

Heh, I am not sure about perfection, but it does look better then it did before.

The reason, I've spent quite a bit of time yesterday tinkering with CSS to it looks the same in Mozilla (the browser I use myself) and IE 6.0. The problem was that IE did not inherit the properties of styles properly and didn't scale fonts as I wanted it to, so I've made a number of changes, which seems to have fixed that.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: better design [message #198 is a reply to message #163] Wed, 23 January 2002 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I've applied a similar font format on our primary forum on mediaminer.org and many people have expressed the sentiment that the fonts may be a little to small.

Is the same sentiment shared here? If so, I'll increase the font sizes by 1 point.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: better design [message #201 is a reply to message #190] Thu, 24 January 2002 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hackie wrote on Wed, 23 January 2002 7:29 PM

what OS doo u use?

Personal computer

Re: better design [message #204 is a reply to message #201] Thu, 24 January 2002 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Core Developer

The Ecxeleron wrote on Thu, 24 January 2002 12:33 AM

hackie wrote on Wed, 23 January 2002 7:29 PM

what OS doo u use?

Personal computer

me? linux.
prottoss? linux as far as I know.

and just for you people he has sacrificed one of his computers for windows so he can run IE6 Razz

$ ./intelligence
Segmentation fault
Re: better design [message #235 is a reply to message #163] Mon, 28 January 2002 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, IE is the standard. He instaled IE, and I made him a better design... seemes fair:)

Re: better design [message #266 is a reply to message #235] Tue, 29 January 2002 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Core Developer

The Ecxeleron wrote on Mon, 28 January 2002 12:31 AM

well, IE is the standard. He instaled IE, and I made him a better design... seemes fair:)

Well, help is certainly appreciated, I do not agree! IE is most certainly *NOT* a standard. Mozilla is much closer to being a standard then IE. I.E. is an excellent browser indeed, it's not a standard. HTML4 is a standard, CSS, DOM are standards, IE is not. Therefor things shouldn't be designed for IE, but for those standards, and IE itself should be designed for them. heh.

Okie, [/rant off]

$ ./intelligence
Segmentation fault

[Updated on: Tue, 29 January 2002 05:11]

Report message to a moderator

Re: better design [message #289 is a reply to message #163] Wed, 30 January 2002 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agree, but IE is on 90% of computers, so it's the standard becuse it's used most.

Re: better design [message #290 is a reply to message #289] Wed, 30 January 2002 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[/rant off] is incorrect... more like [rant on] [/rant on] or [rant on] [rant off].
[/rant off] would be the end of a rant off tag (that means that your not ranting), and since you have the /, it meand that 'rant off' is disabeled, there fore you are ranting after the tag, and that's not true...
Damn, I'm ranting right now!!Very Happy

Re: better design [message #291 is a reply to message #289] Wed, 30 January 2002 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Core Developer

The Ecxeleron wrote on Wed, 30 January 2002 12:01 AM

I agree, but IE is on 90% of computers, so it's the standard becuse it's used most.

heh.. as I said, I disagree, I can't allow one company to control the net, that would be stupid Smile.. and as I said, IE is NOT a standard... HTML/DOM/CSS are, and they should be followed not IE.. MS should be presured into supporting standards NOT the other way arround.

Did ya try latest mozilla? try it, you might like it over IE.. tabbed browsing rocks!

$ ./intelligence
Segmentation fault
Re: better design [message #292 is a reply to message #290] Wed, 30 January 2002 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Core Developer

The Ecxeleron wrote on Wed, 30 January 2002 12:32 AM

[/rant off] is incorrect... more like [rant on] [/rant on] or [rant on] [rant off].
[/rant off] would be the end of a rant off tag (that means that your not ranting), and since you have the /, it meand that 'rant off' is disabeled, there fore you are ranting after the tag, and that's not true...
Damn, I'm ranting right now!!Very Happy

blah Smile... so my rant syntax was off Smile...

$ ./intelligence
Segmentation fault
Re: better design [message #337 is a reply to message #163] Tue, 05 February 2002 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You have to be carefull when writeing logic because human beings don't think in logic, and it can be dificult to emulate yourself sometimes.

Re: better design [message #1442 is a reply to message #192] Mon, 15 April 2002 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
snafu is currently offline  snafu   United States
A bigger font would be nice. My screen at home is 12", 800x600 (~77px/") and the font looks pretty small. I held a ruler to the screen and measured: lowercase letters are 1/16" high and uppercase letters are 3/32" high. You have my vote to increase the size one or two points.

Regarding the rest of this thread, I don't think that "anyone would agree FUD design is ugly", and I don't think all would agree dark layouts are the way to go. In fact, I don't agree with anything you said, Ecxeleron.

There's a reason most popular websites don't use dark layouts. The majority of people surf the web for information, not to admire designs. Lighter backgrounds are more inviting and readable, and people take them more seriously. I'd argue more, but I don't think the burden of proof is on me: this is a well-established principle.

Re: better design [message #3227 is a reply to message #291] Fri, 14 June 2002 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hackie wrote on Wed, 30 January 2002 16:34

heh.. as I said, I disagree, I can't allow one company to control the net, that would be stupid Smile.. and as I said, IE is NOT a standard... HTML/DOM/CSS are, and they should be followed not IE.. MS should be presured into supporting standards NOT the other way arround.

Did ya try latest mozilla? try it, you might like it over IE.. tabbed browsing rocks!

Yes, but your tag was incorrect Laughing

Re: better design [message #3228 is a reply to message #291] Fri, 14 June 2002 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hackie wrote on Wed, 30 January 2002 16:34

Just thought I'll dig up this thread, anywayz, You are right, Why let microsoft controll the net, It's mozilla from now on Smile I'm downloading 1.1 alpha now

Re: better design [message #3232 is a reply to message #3228] Fri, 14 June 2002 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Germany
In case u want to install the SUN java 2 package (latest version) Their installer for win32 is a bit stupid because it only recognizes Netscape 6.x and IE 5/6.x but not Mozilla. So u manually have to copy the appropriate plug-in from its installation location to ur plug-in folder. It's easier under *NIX because there u just have to set a symlink Smile
Alternatively u could just stick to the older 1.31 version, which wouldn't have problems with recognizing Moz as a browser.
bye
Ken

[Updated on: Fri, 14 June 2002 11:41]

Report message to a moderator

Re: better design [message #3256 is a reply to message #163] Sat, 15 June 2002 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got sun java, it works just fine and dandy Cool

What's you opinion about opera?

Re: better design [message #3264 is a reply to message #3256] Sat, 15 June 2002 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Germany
Opera? Hm, I don't like the fact that it's sponsored ware (except u'd chose to purchase it or do something illegal to bypass registration Wink). Apart from that it's quite ok. However it has the nasty habit of producing too much space between single list elements, which may spoil some boxes from time to time. Also the <td> tag may be sometimes spoiled on more complicated tables (wrong alignment, behavior similar to the ancient NS4 series). A workaround is using nested tables. It's a nice browser but I'll stick to Mozilla. Wink
bye Ken
Re: better design [message #3272 is a reply to message #163] Sat, 15 June 2002 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On my slow computer, opera seems to respond quicker, therefore, more comfortable to use.

BTW, I've got a celeron 366 @ 458 512 megs of ram voodoo2 tnt2m64 and a blury 15" screen Laughing

Re: better design [message #3275 is a reply to message #3272] Sat, 15 June 2002 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Opera is indeed the fastest and the smallest browser around, for those perpouses no other browser can even come close. Mozilla in particular requires a fair bit of CPU to run fast since their layout is actually done in DHTML.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: better design [message #3280 is a reply to message #3275] Sat, 15 June 2002 19:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Germany
Thus spake prottoss on Sat, 15 June 2002 18:38

Opera is indeed the fastest and the smallest browser around, for those perpouses no other browser can even come close.

Wrong.
man lynx
man links
Wink
Ken
Re: better design [message #3282 is a reply to message #3280] Sat, 15 June 2002 19:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Ken Kizaki wrote on Sat, 15 June 2002 15:17

Thus spake prottoss on Sat, 15 June 2002 18:38

Opera is indeed the fastest and the smallest browser around, for those perpouses no other browser can even come close.

Wrong.
man lynx
man links
Wink
Ken

links is a very nice and tight console browser that even supports JavaScript and gpm (mouse). But, as far as graphical browsers go you want Opera for speed.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: better design [message #3303 is a reply to message #163] Sun, 16 June 2002 23:28 Go to previous message
Yup Smile

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: One good idea
Next Topic: Multiple styles
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat Jun 29 08:20:31 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04184 seconds