FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Mailing lists - desperately confused
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
Mailing lists - desperately confused [message #165133] Sun, 01 May 2011 19:30 Go to previous message
grepnold is currently offline  grepnold
I've set up a mailing list rule. Messages sent to my forum 'fred' are going to the address 'fred(at)fred(dot)com'. That's working fine, and if I configured 'fred(at)fred(dot)com' to be a mailing list the messages would go out to all subscribers. So far so good.

I set up mailing lists in two ways. For a small list I can set up a redirect in exim4, like the /etc/aliases type but domain-specific. For large lists I pipe to my own script.

Now, to get replies from subscribers to show in the web forum I understand that I can pipe them to maillist.php.

Where I'm baffled is that there seems to be only one e-mail address associated with a forum by the mailing list rule. So a new forum message will arrive at 'fred(at)fred(dot)com' to be reflected out to my mailing list subscribers. If they want to reply, presumably they reply to 'fred(at)fred(dot)com'.

How can mail to the SAME address go to my mailing list when it originates from the forum, and be piped to maillist.php to be added to the forum when it's a reply from a mail-based user? Yes, I could do this by piping to my own script, but other people are able to send out mew messages to a mailing list and have mailed replied go back to the forum.

I can see I'm missing something here and maybe I'll kick myself when I'm told.

This post fudforum.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=19896&
which I can get to by Google but can't find here seems to suggest the outward messages can be sent out by adding the mailing list address as a dummy user. That would work - except that that user would have to be set up to receive mails for that one forum only. I can't find a way to do this, and in any case the mailing list rule is doing the sending of forum posts already.

[Message index]

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: maillist.php and permission problems
Next Topic: Paste From Word