FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » IP in Account Approval?
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
IP in Account Approval? [message #16844] Tue, 24 February 2004 02:39 Go to next message
mocara is currently offline  mocara   United Kingdom
Hi,
Would it be a good idea to see ip addresses in the account approval page? This would help cut down on the bogus registrations of trolls?

Pais.
Re: IP in Account Approval? [message #16847 is a reply to message #16844] Tue, 24 February 2004 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
The IP of the user is not logged during registration only during message posting. That said, if you ban an IP from the forum people with that IP will not be able to submit a registration.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: IP in Account Approval? [message #16858 is a reply to message #16847] Tue, 24 February 2004 18:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I see your point. In this case though it's more about seeing patterns. So if I know a troublsome user is from a given isp and I see people signing up with IPs from that given ISP I can pay carefull attention to them.

Pais.
Re: IP in Account Approval? [message #16860 is a reply to message #16858] Tue, 24 February 2004 19:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Highly unreliable, most IPs have a number of IP masks on different subnets and rotate the assigned IP across those subnets virtually at random.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: IP in Account Approval? [message #16863 is a reply to message #16860] Tue, 24 February 2004 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is true. I'll say it one more time and then stop Smile

It's merely a clue to someone's origin. If you have a troublesome user from ntl and you see that a user is from their network (reverse the dns) then you can start to keep an eye on them. I've found it useful in the past. For that matter I found it useful today when a user registered two names from one ip. He then posted to my forum using two different web cafes one for each name. I would have been off his scent had I not known that both accounts had been registered from one ip.

I'll hack it myself. I'm just loathed to break something that makes upgrading a nightmare. When I hack, it truly is hack Smile

Pais.
Re: IP in Account Approval? [message #16864 is a reply to message #16863] Tue, 24 February 2004 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
You convinced me Smile The feature was added in CVS.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: IP in Account Approval? [message #16865 is a reply to message #16864] Wed, 25 February 2004 00:06 Go to previous message
Many thanx. Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Allowing subject mangling for messages from fud->mailing list
Next Topic: toggling private messages?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun Oct 20 19:21:27 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02613 seconds