FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » FUDforum 3.0+ » Upgrade Script
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Upgrade Script [message #169] Wed, 23 January 2002 01:09 Go to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
I am just about done with the upgrade script, which will allow you to upgrade from 1.0 to 1.0.1. There is however 1 issue, that I would like to hear your input on.

The people who have used the shell script installation, will not have the permission that would allow the upgrade script to modify certain files.

I have 3 alternate solutions to this and I want to know, which you think is the best:

1) The upgrade script will output a small shell script that will temporarily alter the permissions of the files to allow webserver to write to them. Once the upgrade script is done, it will output another small shell script that will restore the permissions back.

2) The install script will ask for login/password for the user's account and use FTP to chmod a file a time, upgrade it and then chmod it back.

3) The install script could be run from the shell using the php-cgi binary and would upgrade the file without doing any permission work. Most system already include php-cgi binary, you can also download one from the web or install php-cgi into your home directory.

What do you think?

To test if you have php-cgi,

php -v

On your shell account.

FUDforum Core Developer

[Updated on: Wed, 23 January 2002 01:12]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Upgrade Script [message #187 is a reply to message #169] Wed, 23 January 2002 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hackie is currently offline  hackie   Canada
Core Developer

We really do need feedback here people Smile... this is pretty important as the script is turning out rather neat.... we think you'll like it... (we hope).. please give us input.

cc intelligence.c -o intelligence
$ ./intelligence
Segmentation fault
icon14.gif  Re: Upgrade Script [message #195 is a reply to message #169] Wed, 23 January 2002 16:53 Go to previous message
zerobits is currently offline  zerobits   United Kingdom
i think these days, people go with web installation. And I like the web-install feature, clean and nice.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Next Topic: Anonymous CVS read access
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun Sep 08 04:26:23 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02667 seconds