FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » Broken image links in 2.6.1RC2
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Broken image links in 2.6.1RC2 [message #16897] Fri, 27 February 2004 04:48 Go to next message
tgaastra is currently offline  tgaastra   United States
The v 1.17 lib.js seems to be causing Internet Explorer to display "broken image" tags in place of some images on 2.6.1RC2...

I replaced lib.js 1.17 with 1.15 and things are "OK"...

Seen on two seperate forums.

The images in question that are breaking are forum icons, and a image I added to the header template. Most all of them are PNGs, built with PhotoShop for the most part, but I think a few were made with The GIMP v2.

The same behavior was also seen on another FUDForum instance I don't admin after they went to 2.6.1RC2, and with multiple versions of IE.
Re: Broken image links in 2.6.1RC2 [message #16903 is a reply to message #16897] Fri, 27 February 2004 20:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
The lib.js in RC2 uses a JS code to replace pngs with equivalent .gif files. Please tell me which files are missing and I'll take a look. In my tests I have not seen any missing files.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Broken image links in 2.6.1RC2 [message #16908 is a reply to message #16903] Fri, 27 February 2004 20:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's trying to replace custom images added by myself, as in a image link I added to a customized header.html template, and to a set of forum icons I added in myself with the Add Forum Icons functionality, that happen to be PNGs. I don't have equivalent GIFs for them.
Re: Broken image links in 2.6.1RC2 [message #16909 is a reply to message #16908] Fri, 27 February 2004 20:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
tgaastra wrote on Fri, 27 February 2004 15:19

It's trying to replace custom images added by myself, as in a image link I added to a customized header.html template, and to a set of forum icons I added in myself with the Add Forum Icons functionality, that happen to be PNGs. I don't have equivalent GIFs for them.

Try changing the IE hack inside lib.js to
function ie_png_hack()
{
        var i = document.images.length - 1;
        while ((img = document.images[i--])) {
                if (img.src.indexOf(".png") > -1 && img.src.indexOf("/images/") > -1 && img.src.indexOf("/theme/") > -1) {
                        img.src = img.src.replace(/\.png$/i, ".gif");
                }
        }
}

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Broken image links in 2.6.1RC2 [message #16911 is a reply to message #16909] Fri, 27 February 2004 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That does seem to do the trick... at least partly.

Doesn't replace the header image or the forum icons, but does replace the new messages, and menu icons with their older gif equivalents.

What was the reason you went with this new code over the 1.15 code? It seemed to work OK for IE on my site. One thing I've noticed after combing my pages is that I have a set of message icons that are new as well, and had transparency under IE under 1.15, but now don't with this new code.

Was the transparency trick not working on IE well enough for most people?
Re: Broken image links in 2.6.1RC2 [message #16912 is a reply to message #16911] Fri, 27 February 2004 20:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Transparency tricks work, but it is too slow on pages with a lot of images. Given the number of complaints I've decided to go with a simpler & faster solution.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Broken image links in 2.6.1RC2 [message #16913 is a reply to message #16912] Fri, 27 February 2004 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any chance on an "either/or" type option for this?

I'll probably stick with the 1.15 version for my sites otherwise, since I haven't really run into the slowness problems and my users seem happy enough with it.
Re: Broken image links in 2.6.1RC2 [message #16914 is a reply to message #16913] Fri, 27 February 2004 21:19 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
Not really, although I may add a commented out version of the code into lib.js. For people (like yourself) who were quite happy with the old, nicer looking IE png hack.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: search dialog hangs on support forum
Next Topic: Only 1 session per user -- Is it a feature ? Should there be a message ?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat Jun 29 08:49:38 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02593 seconds