FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » FUDforum 3.0+ » Virusi a thought.
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Virusi a thought. [message #17074] Mon, 15 March 2004 16:00 Go to next message
mocara is currently offline  mocara   United Kingdom
Hello.

I use clamav on my server to scan emails for viruses. The thought occurs that I don't want users sending each other viruses via PM. Any plans to put a hook in to allow for a virus scanner on uploaded attachments? I've searched the forum and found only one mention of viruses Wink

regards.
Pais.
Re: Virusi a thought. [message #17075 is a reply to message #17074] Mon, 15 March 2004 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
There is no automatic way to add an attachments, the main reasons for viruses is the fact that Outlook express has many security holes allowing viruses to propagate.
There are no plans to add any virus scanning to forum attachments.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Virusi a thought. [message #17076 is a reply to message #17075] Mon, 15 March 2004 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mocara is currently offline  mocara   United Kingdom
Ilia wrote on Mon, 15 March 2004 11:14

There is no automatic way to add an attachments

Not following what you mean there. You can add an attachment surely just by clicking browse/upload ?

Regards.
Re: Virusi a thought. [message #17077 is a reply to message #17076] Mon, 15 March 2004 16:53 Go to previous message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
It it not automated like on win32 and you cannot hide the extension of the attachment, which is one of the major reasons for the problem. Another words the only this could happen if a hostile user (easily traceable) would attempt (you'd need pretty dumb users to fall for such a trick) to do this you can take appropriate actions against them. Plus the checking of attachments is really the job of the virus scanner on the user's own computer and if you do think your forum is in danger of being used to post viruses simply disable attachment capabilities.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Why the file attachment came out like this?
Next Topic: Brake inn
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat Jun 29 16:13:33 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02377 seconds