FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » Blank pages.
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Blank pages. [message #17397] Mon, 29 March 2004 15:00 Go to next message
mocara is currently offline  mocara   United Kingdom
Hello
This is another good one. On certain versions of explorer when a user is not logged in and clicks on register or login they receive a blank page. An example.

I am in the first forum looking at message list in threaded view. Going over the register icon shows me the link
http://www.stockingshq.com/newforum/index.php?t=register&S=3etc
Click on that and I'm sent to
http://www.stockingshq.com/newforum/index.php?t=pre_reg&S=3etc
no problems there. On some browsers when I click this link I get
redirected to
http://www.stockingshq.com/newforum/index.phpt=threadt&frm_id=2&S=3 etc

Which is a blank page. On my IE this happens some times but on others it happens all the time. Shame I never noticed this before I put the forums live Smile

Now to add yet more wierdness. When I do a control->R in this blank page it reloads me to
http://www.stockingshq.com/newforum/index.php?t=pre_reg&S=3etc
as it should do! Smile

Pais.

[Updated on: Mon, 29 March 2004 15:02]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Blank pages. [message #17399 is a reply to message #17397] Mon, 29 March 2004 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
This is happening because you've deleted the anonymous user account. If you view the error log you'll probably see a fair number of failing queries cause the forum expects user with id of 1 to exist.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Blank pages. [message #17400 is a reply to message #17399] Mon, 29 March 2004 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is such a memeber.
Quote:

mysql> select * from fud26_users where id=1;
+----+-------------+-------------+--------+-------------+----------+------- ---+-----------+------------+--------+------------+------+------+-------+-- ----+--------+--------+-----------+---------------+------+------------+---- ------+------------+-------+------------------+------------+------------+-- ----------+---------------+------+----------+-----------+----------------+- ----------+------+---------------------+--------------+------------+------- ------+-------------------+-----------+------+--------+
| id | login | alias | passwd | name | email | location | interests | occupation | avatar | avatar_loc | icq | aim | yahoo | msnm | jabber | affero | posts_ppg | time_zone | bday | join_date | conf_key | user_image | theme | posted_msg_count | last_visit | referer_id | last_read | custom_status | sig | level_id | reset_key | u_last_post_id | home_page | bio | cat_collapse_status | custom_color | buddy_list | ignore_list | group_leader_list | users_opt | sq | reg_ip |
+----+-------------+-------------+--------+-------------+----------+------- ---+-----------+------------+--------+------------+------+------+-------+-- ----+--------+--------+-----------+---------------+------+------------+---- ------+------------+-------+------------------+------------+------------+-- ----------+---------------+------+----------+-----------+----------------+- ----------+------+---------------------+--------------+------------+------- ------+-------------------+-----------+------+--------+
| 1 | Member Gone | Member Gone | 1 | Member Gone | dev@null | NULL | NULL | NULL | 0 | NULL | NULL | NULL | NULL | NULL | NULL | NULL | 0 | Europe/London | 0 | 1080565692 | 0 | NULL | 1 | 0 | 1080565692 | 0 | 1080565692 | NULL | NULL | 0 | 0 | 0 | NULL | NULL | NULL | NULL | NULL | NULL | NULL | 6585141 | NULL | 0 |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

Re: Blank pages. [message #17401 is a reply to message #17400] Mon, 29 March 2004 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Still check your sql error log via the forum's error tracking utility, blank pages are usually the result of query failures.
Re: Blank pages. [message #17403 is a reply to message #17401] Mon, 29 March 2004 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cleared the error log, got someone to repeat the blank page for me a few times. Nothing in the error log.
I authorised the anon user and still the same problem.

Pais.

[Updated on: Mon, 29 March 2004 15:59]

Re: Blank pages. [message #17408 is a reply to message #17403] Mon, 29 March 2004 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Not sure why blank pages would be generated, try checking your PHP error logs.
Re: Blank pages. [message #17410 is a reply to message #17408] Mon, 29 March 2004 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check the logs were working by calling an unkown function:
Quote:

[29-Mar-2004 17:21:07] PHP Fatal error: Unknown function: pooboo()in /newp.php on line 3

No errors in the php error log file but again redired to t=threadt.

Pais.
Re: Blank pages. [message #17411 is a reply to message #17410] Mon, 29 March 2004 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Make sure the webserver can write to the errors/ directory of the forum and any files inside that directory.
Re: Blank pages. [message #17412 is a reply to message #17411] Mon, 29 March 2004 16:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It does and the admin sections shows three errors:

Quote:

Time Error Description

Mon Mar 29 15:52:11 GMT 2004 [Error] ERROR: Post flood triggered.
[Message Sent to User] Please try again in 3 seconds
[User IP] 213.10.219.84
[Requested URL] http://chat.infonaut.net/newforum/index.php?t=post
[Referring Page] http://www.stockingshq.com/newforum/index.php?t=post&reply_to=305886&am p;S=75ea615fc874e2adfd26fc2cf0d0b8e0&SQ=73e710e2e611ba0ae5cb3edaf93fa0e 7

Mon Mar 29 16:29:45 GMT 2004 [Error] Information
[Message Sent to User] You should receive instructions in your email in the next few minutes
[User IP] 80.0.115.16
[Requested URL] http://chat.infonaut.net/newforum/index.php?t=reset

Mon Mar 29 16:33:45 GMT 2004 [Error] Information
[Message Sent to User] You should receive instructions in your email in the next few minutes
[User IP] 80.5.224.69
[Requested URL] http://chat.infonaut.net/newforum/index.php?t=reset
[Referring Page] http://www.stockingshq.com/newforum/index.php?t=reset&S=6330096fec6c5a5 c31fb83a803bf7040

None of those seem to have anythign to do with the blank pages for register problem?

Pais.
Re: Blank pages. [message #17413 is a reply to message #17412] Mon, 29 March 2004 17:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Nope, those are harmless messages.
Re: Blank pages. [message #17414 is a reply to message #17413] Mon, 29 March 2004 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,
Sorry about this, I realise it may take too much time, but could you explain to me the process when I click on a t=register and get redirected to a t=pre_reg ?
I've quite seriously modified the templates on my site, but I haven't touched the code, none the less I may have done something stupid.

PAis.
Re: Blank pages. [message #17415 is a reply to message #17414] Mon, 29 March 2004 17:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The process is simple, the pre_reg form passes an POST/GET variable letting the registration form know that the user agreed to TOS and allows the user to fill in the reg form. After that the user simply fills in the required data and submits the form at which point a new account is created and the user is directed to the forum. If you have e-mail confirmation enabled then the user will receive an e-mail with a link they will need to visit before their account becomes fully active.
Re: Blank pages. [message #17416 is a reply to message #17415] Mon, 29 March 2004 17:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So the link that goes to t=register when someone isn't logged in and goes to register could I not set this to t=pre_reg and get round the issue?

Actually that doesn't explain why t=login doesn't work either. Something wierd that these share which browsing the forums doesn't.

Is it a cookie issue?

Pais.

[Updated on: Mon, 29 March 2004 17:56]

Re: Blank pages. [message #17417 is a reply to message #17416] Mon, 29 March 2004 18:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I doubt it is a cookie issue. Register form automatically determines what to do based on whether the user is logged it or not. So does a login form, which is logout string is not passed would redirect a logged in user back to the previous page.
Re: Blank pages. [message #17430 is a reply to message #17417] Tue, 30 March 2004 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay, an interesting thing happens.

There is one machine (at which I am not sitting) at which I can replicate this problem every time. I was looking at the network on my server to see what is happening, but I can't use ngrep to see the pages as I use mog_gzip. I turned mod_gzip off and lo and behold, the problem no longer happens!

Anyone got any thoughts on this? I'm at a lose to see what mod_gzip could have to do with the problem and I certainly don't want to turn it off.

FYI: this site is done through a passthru on apache.
MachineA->MachineB

MachineA does the passthru and is running mod_gzip
MachineB runs FUD and does not have mod_gzip.

Pais.

[Updated on: Tue, 30 March 2004 11:00]

Re: Blank pages. [message #17433 is a reply to message #17430] Tue, 30 March 2004 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Strange problem, 2 of my servers (this one as well) use mod_gzip compression and as you can see no broken/empty pages here Wink.

You can always enable PHP gzip compression, FUDforum has an option for that.
Re: Blank pages. [message #17435 is a reply to message #17433] Tue, 30 March 2004 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agree it's a strange problem. A quick search on "mod_gzip blank|empty pages" shows that mod_gzip and php are not always the most cooperative with each other.

I shall look into it further.

Pais.
Re: Blank pages. [message #18334 is a reply to message #17435] Tue, 18 May 2004 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xonk is currently offline  Xonk   Germany
Hi,

I have the same problem with certain IE's. With 6.0.28 when clicking LOGIN the blank page comes almost every time. With 6.0.26 the blank page comes sometimes. Refreshing the blank pages loads the login-page always correct.
The same problem with the Members-Page.

Can you explain me, how to turn off mod_gzip? Is it then impossible to gzip files with PHP, eg. the forum-backup?

BTW: The FUDforum has the same problem. I just checked the login-page of this forum with IE 6.0.28 -> everytime only a blank page.

Thanks & Greets,

Sven

[Updated on: Tue, 18 May 2004 11:35]

Re: Blank pages. [message #18335 is a reply to message #18334] Tue, 18 May 2004 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mod_gzip is turned off in your apache config.

I would disable php gziping. It appears that IE can't handle files being gzipped twice. I may be wrong, but that's how it seems. Turn of compression in your fud config.

My problem was that I was proxying pages through two apaches which where both running mod_gzip.

Re : Re: Blank pages. [message #18336 is a reply to message #18335] Tue, 18 May 2004 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
math_adm is currently offline  math_adm   France
Not sure if it is related to the problem discussed here, but it might be useful to know.

I've had blank pages once when I modified the french translation. This was because there were single-quote characters left in the messages. By replacing them with ', all went fine again.

This is probably related to the "magic-quote" thing in PHP...?
Re: Re : Re: Blank pages. [message #18337 is a reply to message #18336] Tue, 18 May 2004 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had a mangled msg file which my business partner had edited in MS Word Surprised

That too may have been a contributing factor. I know Word converted a lot of the quotes itself!

Re : Re: Blank pages. [message #18338 is a reply to message #18336] Tue, 18 May 2004 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
math_adm is currently offline  math_adm   France
math_adm a écrit le mar, 18 mai 2004 07:42

Not sure if it is related to the problem discussed here, but it might be useful to know.

I've had blank pages once when I modified the french translation. This was because there were single-quote characters left in the messages. By replacing them with ', all went fine again.

This is probably related to the "magic-quote" thing in PHP...?

I just realized that in my message the entity for ' was converted to a ' itself Smile

I meant & #39;
Re: Re : Re: Blank pages. [message #18339 is a reply to message #18338] Tue, 18 May 2004 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I knew what you meant Wink
Re: Blank pages. [message #18348 is a reply to message #18335] Tue, 18 May 2004 18:47 Go to previous message
Xonk is currently offline  Xonk   Palestinian Territory
mocara wrote on Tue, 18 May 2004 07:37

I would disable php gziping.

Thanks for the hint!
After disabling the php-compression it works with the IE Smile.

Greets,

Sven
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Install only creates SOME directories; can't CHMOD; can't import!
Next Topic: Templates and Upgrading
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Wed Jun 26 09:04:47 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02758 seconds