FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Imported messages » comp.lang.php » best editor
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
Re: best editor [message #175452 is a reply to message #175377] Wed, 28 September 2011 18:14 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
tamouse is currently offline  tamouse
Out of the box, I'd probably say Eclipse with PDT. If you work in many, many languages and want support for all kinds of text editing capabilities, TextMate can't be beat, with the caveat that it costs money. (I bought it several years ago and couldn't be more pleased with it.) I haven't used TextWrangler, though, so I can't really compare there. As others have also mentioned, good ol' Vi(m) and Emacs are also worth contenders.

The problem with anyone making a go at "best editor..." is that you tend to imprint on a particular editor and stick with it through thick and thin as long as it works for you. If you currently have no preference for editor (say, for example, you're coming from the Notepad.exe world of Windows and are new to developing on the Mac) pretty much any of the editors listed here will be a step up.

The mac does have vim and emacs (non-GUI) preinstalled, so you could give those a go before you jump into something like Eclipse+PDT or TextMate/Wrangler if you want. Knowing vim will let you edit on *any* *nix-based system anywhere, so it's a good thing to know anyway.

There is a version of emacs for the mac called Aquamacs. I tried this and I have to say, as a regular emacs user, I found it to have broken too many things emacsish to me. For a GUI emacs, I just use the GNU Emacs available from macports.

That said, jumping into Eclipse+PDT as an integrated IDE is pretty cool way to develop php (and other code).
[Message index]

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message