FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » FUDforum 3.0+ » Translation of help pages
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Translation of help pages [message #1763] Mon, 22 April 2002 19:14 Go to next message
basse is currently offline  basse   Finland
Are the help pages available in a somewhat final version so that I could start translating them? They're pretty much the only left to do translationwise... Smile
Re: Translation of help pages [message #1764 is a reply to message #1763] Mon, 22 April 2002 19:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
I'd rather you didn't just yet, because they have been simply ported from FUDforum 1.2X, so they they'll probably be changed prior to the final release.

Once we reach 1.9.9, then you can translate them without worrying about drastic changes.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Translation of help pages [message #1771 is a reply to message #1764] Mon, 22 April 2002 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Germany
Hello,
how about the administration control panel? I think this should be translated as well, as there now a couple of things which might be hard to understand without sufficient English knowledge (which is often a problem in Germany Wink)
bye Ken
Re: Translation of help pages [message #1775 is a reply to message #1771] Mon, 22 April 2002 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
basse is currently offline  basse   Finland
Ken Kizaki wrote on Tue, 23 April 2002 12:29 AM

Hello,
how about the administration control panel? I think this should be translated as well, as there now a couple of things which might be hard to understand without sufficient English knowledge (which is often a problem in Germany Wink)

I don't know about Germany, but in Finland and Sweden the understanding of English is generally adequate for the admin panel. Another thing is that some of the terminology used is really more known in English than it is in Swedish. So for the Swedish translation I would say that translating the forum itself and the help pages are enough.

Of course there's nothing wrong with letting the translator decide whether to translate it or not.
Re: Translation of help pages [message #1776 is a reply to message #1771] Mon, 22 April 2002 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
To be honest we are not planning on translating the admin panel. There are few reasons for that.

The admin control panel & the settings a user can control are generally describing technical terms that carry the same name in nearly all languages, since that is the language where the terms were adapted from.

Beyond admglobals.php, other panels have virtually NO text on them, and the text that is present is pretty simple & even basic command of english should be sufficient for proper understanding.

I want the admin panels to remain static, so that in case the template system is broken through user actions, there is a way to restore the forum without having to do so manually by editing files.

All this said, we are planning to seperate some common control panels from the adm/ dir. This will be done so that extra things can be done by moderators, without needing the admin access. Those panels will be translatable once they are moved.

FUDforum Core Developer
icon3.gif  Re: Translation of help pages [message #1814 is a reply to message #1775] Tue, 23 April 2002 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kerhold is currently offline  Kerhold   Poland

djupsjob wrote on Mon, 22 April 2002 11:40 PM

Of course there's nothing wrong with letting the translator decide whether to translate it or not.

I wouldn't mind translating admin panel but I also think it is not a good idea.
I think administrator, who installed this forum, should have an English knowledge.
If not, how can he/she obtain a support from here? Wink

As of translating help pages i will do it also, when time comes.

Best regards,

Kerhold Cool

Common sense is not so common.
Re: Translation of help pages [message #1816 is a reply to message #1814] Tue, 23 April 2002 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Germany
Hello,
I know it sounds strange, but there are a number of people in Germany administrating systems - thus they should be able to deal with English terms - who are indeed helpless by the time they have no German interface. Just happened yesterday night, as I tried to convince someone of the forthcoming FUD2 release. No matter how much I stressed the advanced security features the guy eventually chose to use the phpBB 2.0 just because it has been nicely translated into German. I asked him why he ignores the fact that this board has a great lack of security the answer I got was rather typical "I live in Germany and I want to deal/speak/read German and not to be confronted with foreign stuff that I don't understand...". Ok, the guy who said this was a typical Microsoft Certified Mouseclick Admin who's afraid of Linux Smile But it's a good example that u cannot expect people judging with sensible arguments, most of them only seem to care whether they can do administration in their native language.
bye
Ken

[Updated on: Tue, 23 April 2002 10:42]

Report message to a moderator

icon6.gif  Re: Translation of help pages [message #1817 is a reply to message #1816] Tue, 23 April 2002 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kerhold is currently offline  Kerhold   Poland

Hi!

Still, this guy should know English, because in which language he will report bugs? In German? When something goes wrong, in which language he will report problems? And even then, reporting problems of administrative nature often requires giving for example a hint in which part the problem occurs. Should developers then search for translation of German names of options in forum? It's ease for them to obtain only English terms.

You of course have right that it's better to have fully localized forum, but we shouldn't forget that English is developers and administrators language - some terms are even untranslateable I think.

Best regards,

Kerhold Cool

Common sense is not so common.
Re: Translation of help pages [message #1818 is a reply to message #1817] Tue, 23 April 2002 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Germany
Hi,
I entirely agree with ur argumentation, I only raised the question because I want to make my little contribution to spreading the FUD since I'm really convinced of it Smile.
Btw, he did complain that the FUD homebase and the support forum is all in English Grin. But honestly I think ppl who are that helpless should rather stick to commercial products because they purchase their subscription to 24/7 support and can blame them if something isn't working as expected. Maybe easier for some ppl then to solve problems on their own Wink
bye Ken
Re: Translation of help pages [message #1827 is a reply to message #1818] Tue, 23 April 2002 16:14 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
Unfortunately I am not as fluent in foreign languages as I like, so I can only offer support in English.

That does not that people cannot ask questions in other languages, because I can use the Google or babblefish translator to translate their questions. And then can translate my response back using the same tools.

It is not the best solution, but such is life.

Actually the 2 commercial forums I know, UBB & Vbulletin do not even support foreign languages. And tech support is ONLY offered in english, so in actually we offer better foreighn language support then they do.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Headline at the bottom
Next Topic: Bug report: problem with GLOBALS.php
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun Sep 08 02:52:16 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02482 seconds