FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » protect users against spam bots collecting emails
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
protect users against spam bots collecting emails [message #18053] Mon, 03 May 2004 21:33 Go to next message
alban is currently offline  alban   France
The emails of users appear in pages User Info. I don't want them to be shown because spam bots can collect them...

Instead of "user(at)server(dot)com" I want something like "user at server dot com", for example.

I import all the 977 messages from a mailman MBOX. There is a lot of users. So I don't want to do it manually for each message.

Any idea?
Re: protect users against spam bots collecting emails [message #18056 is a reply to message #18053] Tue, 04 May 2004 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lahoo is currently offline  lahoo   Sweden
You can make profiles invisible to other than registered users. Is that a solution?

[Updated on: Tue, 04 May 2004 20:03]

Report message to a moderator

Re: protect users against spam bots collecting emails [message #18068 is a reply to message #18056] Wed, 05 May 2004 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Netherlands
Administrator
Core Developer
Disabling of profile view by anon users will in fact solve the problem. The alternative that the "display email" option is set to NO for all those users.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: protect users against spam bots collecting emails [message #18077 is a reply to message #18053] Wed, 05 May 2004 19:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alban is currently offline  alban   France
Thank you, I didn't see this option.

Meanwhile, I modify the source of theme/default/usrinfo.php in order to add nospam like this: "nospam(dot)user(at)server(dot)org(dot)nospam".

Your solution is better.
Re: protect users against spam bots collecting emails [message #18078 is a reply to message #18053] Wed, 05 May 2004 20:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't think adding "nospam.[address].nospam" will be of any use. If spambots are clever they will interprete such simple schemes and sniff the address anyhow. That would be the way I'd implement it so I suppose others already has done it.
Re: protect users against spam bots collecting emails [message #18079 is a reply to message #18077] Wed, 05 May 2004 20:42 Go to previous message
My answer ( http://fudforum.org/forum/index.php?t=tree&th=3747&mid=18078&ri d=1511&rev=&reveal=) ended up being posted as a reply to my own message so I give you this hint in the case you subscribed to replies to your message.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: manually create/manage new themes
Next Topic: Sending email to a group
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Mon Jun 17 02:57:53 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02253 seconds