FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Thread sorting order
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Thread sorting order [message #18199] Thu, 13 May 2004 07:10 Go to next message
lahoo is currently offline  lahoo   Sweden
My observations tell me that FUD sorts the threads in a forum by the timestamp they were last changed.

Would it be possible to have them sorted by original creation date instead? That would be a very nice feature because that's the way I prefer it.

Would you consider making the sorting order a user profile setting?

If not, how come?
Re: Thread sorting order [message #18202 is a reply to message #18199] Thu, 13 May 2004 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
No, because the topic order is cached inside a table for performance reasons. Additionally changing the order as you propose would create a situation where active topics can move below the fold and effectively die only because new topics were added.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Thread sorting order [message #18205 is a reply to message #18202] Thu, 13 May 2004 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lahoo is currently offline  lahoo   Sweden
However valid that statement is I still think that being able to sort the threads on total age is a usefull view that ought to be available.

That's the way I'm used to discussion boards and threaded news readers since 1989.

Caching two different orders is no real performance hit.

Basically it drills down to being a question of taste and there's no hard facts saying that one is better than the other. So, would it be hard to implement?
Re: Thread sorting order [message #18206 is a reply to message #18205] Thu, 13 May 2004 12:48 Go to previous message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
You are welcome to try to implement, but I am not planning on adding such functionality.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Shorter user names?
Next Topic: How do I make changes to thread_view_common.tmpl
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Mon Jun 17 01:54:21 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02148 seconds