FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » A few ideas
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
A few ideas [message #18453] Sun, 23 May 2004 21:11 Go to next message
Andrew_B is currently offline  Andrew_B   United States
Here are a few ideas. None of these are my ideas, they are just features that are similar to ones I've used in other online communities.

1. This first one is a user-selectable option that can be set in the profile. When viewing the list of new messages, instead of presenting a simply screen of new messages all in a row, use the same display a search returns. The search display has the advantage of allowing the user to hyperlink right to the thread to see the answer in context of the thread. See what the message is a replying to, etc.

2. Retrieving message addressed to the subscriber. In its simplest form, this allows the user to enter the main page of the forum and see a notification that new messages have been posted to that user. IOW, replies specifically to that subscriber. The user can then retrieve these as a list. FUDforum already has the perfect setup for this in the form of the search display, which has certain advantages over a simple list(as described above).

Along with this, add the option for a user to receive email notification with a link of a message to that user. This is different than subscribing to a topic. When it is turned on, it is automatic and global, and lets the user know when someone replied to him no matter where the reply is.

3. Be able to search/filter by messages to a user, or from a user. Have this displayed using the search result interface.

Andrew
Re: A few ideas [message #18461 is a reply to message #18453] Mon, 24 May 2004 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Andrew_B wrote on Sun, 23 May 2004 17:11

1. This first one is a user-selectable option that can be set in the profile. When viewing the list of new messages, instead of presenting a simply screen of new messages all in a row, use the same display a search returns. The search display has the advantage of allowing the user to hyperlink right to the thread to see the answer in context of the thread. See what the message is a replying to, etc.

Search display is far more limited then the unread message display.

Quote:

2. Retrieving message addressed to the subscriber. In its simplest form, this allows the user to enter the main page of the forum and see a notification that new messages have been posted to that user. IOW, replies specifically to that subscriber. The user can then retrieve these as a list. FUDforum already has the perfect setup for this in the form of the search display, which has certain advantages over a simple list(as described above).

Unread messages link already does it when you click on the subscribed messages/topics filter.

Quote:

Along with this, add the option for a user to receive email notification with a link of a message to that user. This is different than subscribing to a topic. When it is turned on, it is automatic and global, and lets the user know when someone replied to him no matter where the reply is.

If you turn on subscription by default that'll happen already when someone replies to a topic/message you've posted.

Quote:

3. Be able to search/filter by messages to a user, or from a user. Have this displayed using the search result interface.

Already possible in 2.6.3

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: A few ideas [message #18483 is a reply to message #18461] Tue, 25 May 2004 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I took another look at the unread display, and I realize now that I missed noticing some things. I don't know what's wrong with my concentration lately, but I think I better take more time using FUDforum before posting any more suggestion.

As for the subscribing and filtering, I will look at this again. I just didn't see any way to tell it to notify me only if a message is to me, instead of notifying me every time there is a message in a thread. But I did look pretty carefully at the search interface, and I see no way to retrieve only messages that are a replies to a messages I wrote.
Re: A few ideas [message #18484 is a reply to message #18483] Tue, 25 May 2004 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Getting just the replies to your messages is not possible. But I believe that unread + subscribed mostly fulfills that goal

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: A few ideas [message #18485 is a reply to message #18484] Tue, 25 May 2004 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
>Getting just the replies to your messages is not possible. But I believe that unread + subscribed mostly fulfills that goal

Well, yes, I agree. It fills the goal in some ways. But here is why I suggest it anyway. In a busy forum there is not always time to read all new messages, even in subscribed topics. In these cases, it is very helpful to quickly get to direct replies, in case there are follow-up support answers needed. Also, sometimes a person will drop out of a thread, thinking they no longer need to follow it. Then, a few weeks later, someone will ask a question in that thread. But the recipient will still be notified, because he is set to be notified when any message is a reply to one of his.

This is also a very useful feature in community forums where one of the goals is to promote discussion. Because seeing an annoucement that people have written messages to you can be more engaging. And it encourages people to respond, because it is more personal.

Anyway, it is not always easy to explain, but having lived in forums that had this, I could see it working very well. And it would not be that hard to add. Probably a subselect statement within a select statement would do it, then feed this to a display method you already have. Same goes for searching for only replies to a user.
Re: A few ideas [message #18495 is a reply to message #18485] Tue, 25 May 2004 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I've reviewed the code necessary for adding such functionality and must say no based on technical merits. Adding this would require another index on a very index heavy table (msg table) and still would result is some very heavy queries.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: A few ideas [message #18513 is a reply to message #18495] Wed, 26 May 2004 00:15 Go to previous message
Well, if it's not practical, then it's not practical. Thanks for checking.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Name for Anonymous and no Session-ID
Next Topic: ilia - please tell us about the egroupware integration
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 15:55:42 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03365 seconds