FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » Possible problem with profile editing
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Possible problem with profile editing [message #18479] Mon, 24 May 2004 18:54 Go to next message
Gribnif is currently offline  Gribnif   United States
Give this a try:

1. Log-in, and go to User CP->User CP.

2. Leave the browser there, and wait until your session times-out, or just delete the session from the DB using SQL.

3. Click on Settings.

You now get the "pre_reg" or coppa screen, instead of an error message telling you the session has expired.

There's a chance this problem may not happen if the browser allows cookies. Mine doesn't, and I definitely see it.
Re: Possible problem with profile editing [message #18481 is a reply to message #18479] Mon, 24 May 2004 19:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
This is not a bug. Your session had timed out, when you reload the page the forum tried to redirect you to register page. Since register page cannot be accessed directly without passing the coppa/forum rules page that is where you are taken.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Possible problem with profile editing [message #18508 is a reply to message #18481] Tue, 25 May 2004 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gribnif is currently offline  Gribnif   United States
It just seems unintuitive to me, since the user doesn't know their session has expired. I think they should get the "not logged-in" error message, not what happens now.
Re: Possible problem with profile editing [message #18511 is a reply to message #18508] Tue, 25 May 2004 19:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The problem you describe can normally happen only if a user leaves the computer for an extended period of time during which their session expires and is removed from a database. This is a rather unusual event, in case of which most people should be able to realize that their session had expired.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Possible problem with profile editing [message #18524 is a reply to message #18479] Wed, 26 May 2004 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wfjmueller is currently offline  wfjmueller   Germany
Gribnif wrote on Mon, 24 May 2004 20:54

There's a chance this problem may not happen if the browser allows cookies. Mine doesn't, and I definitely see it.

First I'm amazed that there is a browser around without cookie support. Beyond that, one runs into a real problem with FUDforum when using it without cookies:
  • without cookies the forum is forced to establish the session context with the URL
  • this means, that you loose the session each time one follows an URL pointing to FUDforum resource from outside the forum
  • such URLs are for example contained in notification emails send by the forum (for PM's, new topics or new messages)
So, as far as I understand, the email notification works only reasonable well when cookies are supported and enabled in the browser.
Re: Possible problem with profile editing [message #18528 is a reply to message #18524] Wed, 26 May 2004 16:37 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
It's not so much browsers not supporting cookies but rather various security modes in browsers preventing reading/setting of cookies.

2.6.4 should be MUCH better in this regard because it sends P3P policy that allows IE to accept FUDforum cookies even if the security level is set to high (previously high & medium-high levels caused cookies not to be set). The same P3P policy may help other browsers too, although so far IE has been the only problematic browser in this respect.

When no cookie is available the forum has no way but to use URL sessions, yes that has all of the problems you've described in point 1 & 2, but there is no way to avoid that.

E-mail notification works fine without cookie, the only "problem" is that you will need to login before being able to reply to the message. However, with new FUDforum 2.6.3+ this is easy too cause here is what would happen:

1) You get e-mail notification
2) You go to the URL and view the message
3) You click reply and get a message saying only registered users may reply and be display a login form.
4) Once you login you would be redirected directly to the post form.

So it's not too bad... certainly better then rejecting users who don't have cookies Wink

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Today's visitors inaccurate
Next Topic: 2.6.2 Find User link broken
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 21:51:57 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02500 seconds