FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » Google links take you to different users profiles
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
Google links take you to different users profiles [message #186558] Tue, 30 September 2014 19:58 Go to previous message
timwalter is currently offline  timwalter   United Kingdom
Hi I've been admin to a fudforum for some time but seldom had a problem til the last month or two...

Several users started reporting that they were arriving at the forum and seeing other peoples log in details. I couldn't see the problem initially til today someone detailed it a bit more. Specifically when the search for the forum on google and then click some links it takes them to a thread and it appears to all intents and purposes that they are logged in as someone else.

Today I did it and saw it to be true.

The parameters so far seem to be that they get there via a direct google link.
I think they are all connecting via NHSnet, which effectively is a giant VPN (i've tried from home on a Mac and didn't show up.) NHSnet is the network used within the British National Health Service
The example google link that showed it was

http://www.emisnug.net/forum/index.php?t=thread&frm_id=2&

As I say it happens via NHSnet /IE definitely but not from home / Mac /Safari/Firefox

When I demonstrated it myself I could get into account settings in profile for the "other person" though didn't see if I could actually change it.

I strongly think it relates to the NHSnet vpn, and see it as a potentially massive problem if indeed it is as I surmise. Unfortunately I don't have the skills needed to assess and define if it is true. I don't know how to take this forward... Help please!

FUDforum version: 3.0.5
PHP version: 5.3.3
PHP built on: Linux server88-208-250-198.live-servers.net 2.6.32-279.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Jun 22 12:19:21 UTC 2012 x86_64
Database type: mysql (mysql)
Database version: 5.1.73
Web server: Apache/2.2.15
Web Server load: 0.36
Web server to PHP interface: cgi-fcgi
Relevant PHP settings:
Safe mode: OFF
Open basedir: none
Display errors: ON
File uploads: ON
Maximum file upload size: 2M
Magic quotes: OFF