FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Plugins and Code Hacks » Adding extra user data?
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Adding extra user data? [message #19503] Tue, 27 July 2004 20:00 Go to next message
XIXs is currently offline  XIXs   United Kingdom

I'm thinking of trying to integrate a rather simple game into a FUD forum. I've had the basic design in my head for a while and it makes sense to try and link it into a forum since it loosly boils down to petty diplomacy which means the players need to be able to communicate.

But anyway thats not my question and this is a question BTW.

But one of the things I want to do is associate some extra data with each forum user.

Is it a good idea to simply add these fields to FUDs user data chunk or should I create my own separate data and just index it using the FUD users ID?

Adding it to FUDs user data seems like the simplest way to go but I thought I should ask here to see if there are going to be any obvious/hidden problems with that before I go break stuff.

Adding extra user data seems like the sort of thing people would want to do as a hack for various reasons. But I haven't found any info, so if there is or examples, please point me at them Smile

This will be my first PHP/MYSQL attempt (but I've broken bigger and badder things in my time) so please forgive me if I'm using the wrong terminology.

Re: Adding extra user data? [message #19504 is a reply to message #19503] Tue, 27 July 2004 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
It's would be better to store this data in a separate table so it'd never be confused with native forum data by the upgrade script and alike. Plus it'll give you a measure of safety as you won't break the primary users table which is the key to everything.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Adding extra user data? [message #19513 is a reply to message #19504] Wed, 28 July 2004 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
XIXs is currently offline  XIXs   United Kingdom

Thank you and OK that is perfectly reasonable Smile

Would it would be safe to think that this user ID is never recycled from deleted users or users that failed to fully register and just increments as new users sign up?

I want to avoid as many code hooks as possible so just creating missing data as it is found to be missing would be preferable to hooking into the account creation code.

Re: Adding extra user data? [message #19531 is a reply to message #19513] Mon, 02 August 2004 13:20 Go to previous message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
The user ids are never recycled.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Have you any portal software for FUD
Next Topic: PREVIEW PROTECTED SITE SOURCE CODE
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Tue Jun 04 06:37:00 GMT 2024