FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » Install Problem
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Install Problem [message #1837] Tue, 23 April 2002 16:51 Go to next message
HeyHeyHey is currently offline  HeyHeyHey   Canada
Hey, i got the latest version of FUDForum off the Download section.

I uploaded all the .php and the .gif files into my website it has mySQL and PHP support.

I run the install.php but it always says:

The directory you've specifieddoes not appear to be the directory where forum sources were decompressed to.

Why is this do i need to call the files from my Hard-Drive or on the webserver?

Someone please help.
Re: Install Problem [message #1838 is a reply to message #1837] Tue, 23 April 2002 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Judging by the error I presume you were installing FUDforum 1.9.8RC2.

The error you are seeing is ocurring for a very simple reason.

The install script has placed a file inside the directory you specified as WWW Server Root. Then it tried to access the fiel by going to the web path you speicified as WWW Root. When it was unable to retrieve the file the script complained.

Make sure that files placed in WWW Server Root directory you've speicified can be accessed by going to the web path you've speicified in WWW Root.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Install Problem [message #1839 is a reply to message #1837] Tue, 23 April 2002 17:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is how i have it set up

Main Root Directory
http://www.php50.com/hackhunter/

Install_data Path
http://php50.com/hackhunter/install_data/

But when i type in /install_data, /, or http://php50.com/hackhunter/install_data/

It says it doesnt exist

Why?

If anyone else could install it, it would be great.

[Updated on: Tue, 23 April 2002 17:26]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Install Problem [message #1840 is a reply to message #1839] Tue, 23 April 2002 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Okie. I went to see your install script and you appear to be running the 1.2X version, not 1.9.8 as I had originally thought.

Here is what you should enter:

Step #1: /www/php50.com/html/hackhunter/
Step #2:
Server Root: /www/php50.com/html/hackhunter/forum/
Forum Data Root: /www/php50.com/html/hackhunter/forum/
Forum WWW Root: http://php50.com/hackhunter/forum/

This will install the forum in such a way it can be accessed via: http://php50.com/hackhunter/forum/

make sure you create /www/php50.com/html/hackhaunter/forum/ directory and chmod it 777 before you proceed.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Install Problem [message #1841 is a reply to message #1837] Tue, 23 April 2002 17:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I followed what you said and the steps worked fine but after the second step i got this

Could not create /www/php50.com/html/hackhunter/forum/include with 755 permissions

Whats this mean?

sorry to bother you.

[Updated on: Tue, 23 April 2002 17:29]

Re: Install Problem [message #1842 is a reply to message #1841] Tue, 23 April 2002 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
It means that the install script couldn't execute mkdir() function.

According to the phpinfo() on your server a whole slew of file system functions have been disabled by your admin.

I'd wager that unless a good number of those functions are allowed you won't be able to use the forum.

You should mention to your admin that disaling of the functions he disabled is pointless, since ALL the shell execution functions are still enabled.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Install Problem [message #1843 is a reply to message #1837] Tue, 23 April 2002 17:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I posted on the php50 support forums about that, i hope i will be allowed to do it.
Re: Install Problem [message #1844 is a reply to message #1843] Tue, 23 April 2002 17:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Good idea Smile

Bottom line is like this, why disable copy() if fopen() is enabled?
And why disable mkdir(), chmod(), etc... if you can use exec(), system(), popen(). If some wants to use those they'll just use system utils to do the same.
For example: exec("mkdir /mydir"); etc...

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Install Problem [message #1845 is a reply to message #1837] Tue, 23 April 2002 17:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how do you do phpinfo() on a site?

That sounds like it could be handy in finding another host if this one wont be able to do it.
Re: Install Problem [message #1847 is a reply to message #1845] Tue, 23 April 2002 18:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Most serious webhost providers offer the output of phpinfo() on their support pages. If they don't you can always ask.

I was able to run phpinfo() on your site since the forum sources have a password protected phpinfo() script Smile

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Install Problem [message #1885 is a reply to message #1837] Wed, 24 April 2002 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got it installed but when i go to the site for my forums i now get

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: fud_use() in index.php on line 22

Now what is this?

[Updated on: Wed, 24 April 2002 12:16]

Re: Install Problem [message #1888 is a reply to message #1885] Wed, 24 April 2002 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
HeyHeyHey wrote on Wed, 24 April 2002 7:43 AM

I got it installed but when i go to the site for my forums i now get

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: fud_use() in index.php on line 22

Now what is this?

Hmm... Can you send your GLOBASLS.php file please.

Thanks

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Install Problem [message #1892 is a reply to message #1837] Wed, 24 April 2002 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dont have a file called "GLOBASLS.php" or "GLOBALS.PHP" in my computer.

Im new at owning my own forums.
Re: Install Problem [message #1897 is a reply to message #1892] Wed, 24 April 2002 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
the file was created during the forum installation. It can be found inside the /www/php50.com/html/hackhunter/forum/ directory if that is where you've installed your forum

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Install Problem [message #1901 is a reply to message #1837] Wed, 24 April 2002 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The file is empty, theres nothing in it.
Could this be why its causing problems?

Also im looking at a new host thats garenteed to work, because my friend owns the site and be has vBulletin on it.

But for now im gonna try and use this to save him space.
Re: Install Problem [message #1904 is a reply to message #1901] Wed, 24 April 2002 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
That is DEFINATELY the reason for the problem.

Could it be that the safe mode has prevented the install script from creating the file?

I would recommend that you find a webhost that has PHP 4.1.0 or higher and has Safe Mode (php) disabled. Safe Mode is a REALLY poor design solution at a problem PHP shouldn't be trying to solve.
Hopefuly once Apache2 mpm support stabalizes this "feature" will die.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Install Problem [message #1905 is a reply to message #1837] Wed, 24 April 2002 17:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can you send me the global.php and i will upload it to the site and see if that would fix it.
Re: Install Problem [message #1907 is a reply to message #1905] Wed, 24 April 2002 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
GLOBALS.php is a configuration, I can send you a copy, sure, but you still will need to modify the file with the correct paths.

That file gets created during the install process normally.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Install Problem [message #1908 is a reply to message #1837] Wed, 24 April 2002 17:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Could you Privite Message me the global.php, ill config it and see if it will work.
Re: Install Problem [message #1911 is a reply to message #1837] Wed, 24 April 2002 18:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nope i still get it, thanks for the help.

Im gonna see if my friend will host me i know the forums will work on his site because he installed vBulletin and i can get his to enable the php settings while installing. Smile
Re: Install Problem [message #1933 is a reply to message #1839] Thu, 25 April 2002 20:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wolfman is currently offline  wolfman   United States
prottos

Thanks this has fixed the problem I had with installing mine Smile a msg you posted earler in this thread helped me fix my problem
Quote:

Step #1: /www/php50.com/html/hackhunter/
Step #2:
Server Root: /www/php50.com/html/hackhunter/forum/
Forum Data Root: /www/php50.com/html/hackhunter/forum/
Forum WWW Root: http://php50.com/hackhunter/forum/

This will install the forum in such a way it can be accessed via: http://php50.com/hackhunter/forum/

If anyone else could install it, it would be great.

Thanks this has fixed the problem I had with installing mine Smile
Re: Install Problem [message #1987 is a reply to message #1837] Fri, 26 April 2002 18:00 Go to previous message
I wont have a forum install problem anymore Smile im buying my own domain soon with PHP, 3 mySQL databses, 100MB space, 30 Email Accounts.

I just need to dig up the money witch i will, ill post the URL.

Im going to be providing free boards to people, and whole forums to people that buy a subdomain.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Can't set custom user tags
Next Topic: I need more help i think than anyone can give
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Wed Jun 26 16:20:22 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02853 seconds