FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » Upgrade Problems
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
icon4.gif  Upgrade Problems [message #19966] Mon, 20 September 2004 19:33 Go to next message
Lynky is currently offline  Lynky   Germany
Hallo,

first I have to apologize for my English is not so good.

First I had version 2.1.something istalled, then I upgraded without problems to 2.5.2.
Now I've tried to update my version 2.5.2 by installing the 2.6.6.
The forum couldn't completely unlock all files in the include-directory before upgrading. For I have no shell-access to the server, I have tried the upgrade anyway but it ran into simular "permission denied"-errors. I finally managed to convince my provider to give all the files in this directory the 777, but when I run the upgrade-skript now again, the following error occurs:

Failed to parse GLOBALS.php at "/is/htdocs/56777/www.domain.com/forum/GLOBALS.php" correctly

Then I took a look at the globals.php - it looks very different to the old file and I'm quite sure that this is only a temporary globals.php:

<?php
	$FUD_OPT_2 = 0;
	$FUD_OPT_1 = 0;
	$FUD_OPT_3 = 0;
	$INCLUDE = "/is/htdocs/56777/www.domain.com/forum/priv_data/include/";
	$ERROR_PATH = "/is/htdocs/56777/www.domain.com/forum/priv_data/errors/";
	$MSG_STORE_DIR = "/is/htdocs/56777/www.domain.com/forum/priv_data/messages/";
	$TMP = "/is/htdocs/56777/www.domain.com/forum/priv_data/tmp/";
	$FILE_STORE = "/is/htdocs/56777/www.domain.com/forum/priv_data/files/";
	$FORUM_SETTINGS_PATH = "/is/htdocs/56777/www.domain.com/forum/priv_data/cache/";

require($INCLUDE.'core.inc');
?>

But how can I solve that problem?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Lynky
Re: Upgrade Problems [message #19974 is a reply to message #19966] Mon, 20 September 2004 20:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
The GLOBALS.php, the forum's settings file is clearly broken based on what you have pasted. You need to ensure that all files are readable by the upgrade script when it runs.

Make a list of all the files for which there was a permissions problem and ensure that they are readable and writable by the user the webserver runs as that is the user by whom the upgrade script will be running as.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Upgrade Problems [message #19981 is a reply to message #19974] Mon, 20 September 2004 20:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hallo,

thank you very much for your quick answer.
Unfortunately I don't know anymore which files were locked. I haven't been so smart to make a print of it, because I thought, I'll upload my backups again.

I didn't make a dumb of the data with the forum's dumb function, instead I took the provider's backup-function, which creates a complete backup of all the files in the forum directory as backup.tgz.

I thought the best would be to extract the backed up files, upload them (so I should have all the rights to give to the necessary files) and then run the upgrade-script again... but... it didn't work.

I've tried to upload these files several times, but the only thing I get is a blank screen when I enter the start page. So it doesn't make sense to run the upgrade-skript when even the old version doesn't work.
First I thought, the unix-link of the globals.php gets broken while extracting the archive on a NTFS-filesystem, but I was trying to create one with a php-script and it didn't work, too.

I'm messing around with this issue for more than two weeks and the forum is down for that time. I don't have any idea what to do next. I would be glad enough to restore the old 2.5.2 version, but I don't even get this Sad

Do you have any idea, how I can solve my problems?

Thank you very much in advance,

a helpless Lynky

Re: Upgrade Problems [message #19984 is a reply to message #19981] Mon, 20 September 2004 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Ok, when you made a backup I hope you made a backup of not only the forum's files but also the forum's database data, otherwise fixing things is far more difficult.

As far as restoring the compressed files, after you decompress them make sure to chmod all files 666 and all directories 777 so that the forum can write/modify them. Once that is done try to re-run the upgrade script.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Upgrade Problems [message #19989 is a reply to message #19984] Mon, 20 September 2004 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, I have a copy of the database-tables in another database and on my local pc one, too...
but does it make sense to run the upgrade-script even if the old version doesn't run?
What are possible reasons for that?

I just started to upload my backup forum again... it'll take a time, it's about 100MB.

Greetings,

Lynky
Re: Upgrade Problems [message #19990 is a reply to message #19989] Mon, 20 September 2004 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
even if the old forum does not run, as long as it's data is in place and has proper permissions the upgrade script can run.

Since you have a database dump, good thinking on your part btw, be sure to import it before running the upgrade script.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Upgrade Problems [message #19992 is a reply to message #19990] Mon, 20 September 2004 21:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hallo,

OK, that sounds pretty well, hope it'll will do so, too Wink
As I told you, I unpack the files on my local pc under NTFS and that transforms the GLOBALS.php-link into an normal php-file with filesize of 0 KB.

I think I'll have to re-create the GLOBALS.php-link with my php-script again - or does the upgrade-script find the real GLOBALS.php automatically?

Lynky
Re: Upgrade Problems [message #19997 is a reply to message #19992] Mon, 20 September 2004 22:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The script needs the symlinks inside the forum's main dir and adm/ dir to exist to the "real" GLOBALS.php inside the forum's include/ directory.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Upgrade Problems [message #19999 is a reply to message #19997] Mon, 20 September 2004 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, thank you very much!

I'll will try it tomorrow (we have 0:30 in Germany)... I hope my FTP-tool will be finished then.
In any case - I'll post the results here.

n8, Lynky
forum files unlocked but database problem [message #20004 is a reply to message #19997] Tue, 21 September 2004 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hallo,

I've uploaded the 2.5.2 forum files again, created the symlinks to the GLOBALS.php, chmod all the directories with 777 and the files with 666 (including all subdirectories).
So I think the forum files would be ready for another try to upgrade.

Then I deleted the broken forum tables and tried to copy the old tables to the operating database. Everything worked fine but in table fud21_search (prefix because of an earlier FUD-version) mysql throws an exception:

#1062 - Duplicate entry 'das' for key 2

... the only thing is - that is not true! The first 218 Datasets import well, but on this _first_ occurence of the value "das" it throws it.
I can just copy the table with phpMyAdmin oder export and import the SQL into the new database - Although it hangs at this Dataset (when I delete it, it hangs 5 datasets past).

The SQL seems to be OK:

CREATE TABLE `fud21_search` (
  `id` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment,
  `word` varchar(255) NOT NULL default '',
  PRIMARY KEY  (`id`),
  UNIQUE KEY `word` (`word`)
) TYPE=MyISAM AUTO_INCREMENT=41460 ;
INSERT INTO `fud21_search` VALUES (218, 'schade,');
INSERT INTO `fud21_search` VALUES (219, 'das');
INSERT INTO `fud21_search` VALUES (220, 'solchen');

The Table-Structure is identically with the old structure.

MySQL-server-version: 4.0.20

Any idea to avoid this error?
Thank you in advance,

Lynky (now even more confused)

[Updated on: Tue, 21 September 2004 08:12]

Report message to a moderator

Re: forum files unlocked but database problem [message #20014 is a reply to message #20004] Tue, 21 September 2004 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
modify the insert queries to:

INSERT INGORE INTO ....

The ignore keyword will make it silently ingore duplicates.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: forum files unlocked but database problem [message #20016 is a reply to message #20014] Tue, 21 September 2004 18:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ohoh,
here's what I've done:

I replaced the "INSERT INTO"s to "INSERT IGNORE INTO"s. I've found then, that mysql doesn't import many datasets as a result of that. Nevermind - it worked and I have the table in the 2nd database now.

Then I managed to convince my provider to play my forum-backup back into the right directory.
Then I tried out if the forum worked. I first chose the old database and I was very glad that the thing worked. Then I changed the database to the new one (the one with the missing entries in fud21_search) and I got a blank screen Sad

OK... I thought, I will take a chance (because the forum worked on the old one) and tried an upgrade again. The script ran but never showed a result page - so I hitted the "authenticicate"-button again. The Skript told me, that I had already ran the upgrade - so far... sound's well, doesn't it?

But:
When I now enter the startpage of the new forum, the forum shows me the registered users on the board, but no threads! There's nothing in it! I also have no private messages!

Have I lost my data? Did the upgrade break my last working database-tables?

PANIC! Why doesn't it show the threads?

Greetings,

Lynky

[Updated on: Tue, 21 September 2004 18:29]

Additional information... [message #20017 is a reply to message #20014] Tue, 21 September 2004 18:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
... I can see the threads in the administrator-menue (forum and category management) and when I see the details about a member, I can browse through his threads.

- but on the startpage I get completely nothing listed Sad

Greetings,

Lynky

[Updated on: Tue, 21 September 2004 18:50]

Re: Additional information... [message #20019 is a reply to message #20017] Tue, 21 September 2004 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
run the consistency checker if you didn't already and if you still get an empty page, login as an admin and fix the group permissions by hand via the group manager linked via the front page of the forum.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Additional information... [message #20020 is a reply to message #20019] Wed, 22 September 2004 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hallo,

thank you very much - after I ran the conistency-checker the forum worked Very Happy
The old layout is lost, but that only means, that I have to spend this noon with adapting the new stylesheet to the old values...

You are the best!!

Greetings,

Lynky

[Updated on: Wed, 22 September 2004 01:58]

Re: Additional information... [message #20021 is a reply to message #20020] Wed, 22 September 2004 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
What do you mean, do you get a blank page? (if so check the error log viewer in admin control panel).

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Additional information... [message #20022 is a reply to message #20021] Wed, 22 September 2004 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's OK,
It worked, I just didn't realize that there's a new overview and not automatically the preferences page at the first page in the profile section Smile

Thank you!

[Updated on: Wed, 22 September 2004 02:03]

My thanks... [message #20023 is a reply to message #20021] Wed, 22 September 2004 02:49 Go to previous message
Good work shall be honored!

Even I know, that is an unusual way to thank someone in a forum...

index.php?t=getfile&id=1315&private=0

a prosit on Ilia...
LONG LIVE ILIA!

thanks for your fast, uncomplicated and competent advices!!

Best wishes for the future,

Lynky

PS: And now I have to manage my verbal bachelor-exam (in about 2h) ... another issue I'm afraid of Confused
  • Attachment: sekt.gif
    (Size: 17.28KB, Downloaded 1171 times)

[Updated on: Wed, 22 September 2004 02:53]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: why not a tree-tarball?
Next Topic: can't get into groupmanager
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 20:22:04 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02492 seconds