FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » Mail notification LANGUAGE bug
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Mail notification LANGUAGE bug [message #20153] Wed, 29 September 2004 13:37 Go to next message
Wild_Cat is currently offline  Wild_Cat   Ukraine
I use Russian as my forum language here.
I always received mail notifications in English and I thought it's a global forum setting.
But recently I received notifications in French about replies from math_adm.
(Thank God it wasn't Chinese, the French I do understand Wink )
He confirmed that he've got notifcations about my replies in Russian. http://fudforum.org/forum/index.php?t=rview&goto=20146#msg_20146

That seems a bit funny. Perhaps it was planned that the user should receive the notification in HIS language settings (that sounds quite normally), but instead he receives in the language of the one who wrote the reply!

And that's still present on your forum 2.6.7RC1 (just now another notif in French!)

Lady of Avalon
Re : Mail notification LANGUAGE bug [message #20172 is a reply to message #20153] Thu, 30 September 2004 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
math_adm is currently offline  math_adm   France
I think it's a rather recent behavior. IIRC, I used to have english notifications from this forum, whatever the language of the poster. But I may be wrong.

Receiving russian emails is definitely a bug Wink

[Updated on: Thu, 30 September 2004 12:13]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Mail notification LANGUAGE bug [message #20185 is a reply to message #20153] Thu, 30 September 2004 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
The notification comes in the language of the repondent's profile.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Mail notification LANGUAGE bug [message #20193 is a reply to message #20185] Fri, 01 October 2004 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia писал(а) Птн, 01 Октября 2004 01:40

The notification comes in the language of the repondent's profile.

I noticed that Wink

Profile language is for using the forum, isn't it? That doesn't mean the person would write messages in this language like in our case or others have to do in any way with someone's profile language. Wasn't this the reason for profile-based, user-defined message files?

I could see sense in sending the notifs in receiver's language, but it is too complicating the process of sending the notifs perhaps?.. At least it could be in forum language, but there is no such setting...

The way it is now does look like misbehaviour. I can't see what sense can it make. But I can clearly see how much confusion can it bring among users, especially novices, when they get messages from a place they remember (perhaps) but in a language they don't understand.

Lady of Avalon

[Updated on: Fri, 01 October 2004 01:14]

Re: Mail notification LANGUAGE bug [message #20214 is a reply to message #20153] Sat, 02 October 2004 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ou-la-la! One more French user, one more French notification!

Цитата:

Nouvelle réponse au sujet I need subcategories too par Spooky

Thank God it's not chinese or some Swedish yet Wink

Why we happily before didn't have to do with others' languages?
I guess it's gonna be a Babylon tower soon Twisted Evil

Lady of Avalon

[Updated on: Sat, 02 October 2004 22:36]

Re: Mail notification LANGUAGE bug [message #24090 is a reply to message #20185] Thu, 14 April 2005 19:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia, what is the reason for making notifications come in respondent's language?

I have now all sorts of notifications I don't understand (of course, by experience I know what are they about & I can read topic and user names among other mumbo jumbo, but not every user is experienced enough to understand) because I don't know the languages they are written in! And all others do to. Is there any reason for such a strange behaviour? It wasn't like this in previous versons below 2.6.x. Did you intend it to be so? Why? It's so annoying!

Lady of Avalon

[Updated on: Thu, 14 April 2005 19:25]

Re: Mail notification LANGUAGE bug [message #24092 is a reply to message #24090] Thu, 14 April 2005 20:28 Go to previous message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
This particular forum is an exception to the rule and it suppots over a dosen languages for the entire forum. Normally a forum install either uses a single language or has categories/forum intended for specific languages so this is a non-issue.
As to why, various performance considerations.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Polls not working :-(
Next Topic: Bug in Subcategories
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 20:39:19 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02193 seconds