FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Is it possible to hide categories?
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Is it possible to hide categories? [message #20938] Wed, 03 November 2004 19:36 Go to next message
brisk is currently offline  brisk   United States
I would like to be able to hide categories from users/groups (only allow certain categories to certain users/groups).

Is this possible? I have not been able to figure out how if it is.

By the way, setting up FUDForum was very, very easy! Excellent job!

Jeffrey
Re: Is it possible to hide categories? [message #20939 is a reply to message #20938] Wed, 03 November 2004 20:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
If the user cannot view any forums inside a category, that category will automatically be made invisible.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Is it possible to hide categories? [message #20940 is a reply to message #20939] Wed, 03 November 2004 20:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you!

Now to go figure this all out!

Jeffrey
Re: Is it possible to hide categories? [message #20941 is a reply to message #20939] Thu, 04 November 2004 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, I must be dense, but I cannot seem to get this to behave quite like I am expecting.

I have two categories, each with one forum.

I have the "Global Registered Access" and "Global Anonymous Access" with everything set to no.

I sent the permissions for each forum to be "YYYYNNNYYYYNNNYYY".

So I go to "Manager Users" from the "Groups Manager" to add a user.

Now is where the confusion is. There is a combo box labeled "Group Editor Section" and it has the forum group in the combo box, but all of specific permissions are set to no instead of inherit like I expected.

When I add a user, I have to explicitly set each of these. If this is the case, what does the group level permissions do?

What am I missing?
Re: Is it possible to hide categories? [message #20945 is a reply to message #20941] Thu, 04 November 2004 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
You are using the group manager, the one you should be using is linked to from the front page of the forum.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Is it possible to hide categories? [message #20953 is a reply to message #20945] Thu, 04 November 2004 19:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Followed that.

I've attached the screen I get.

When I add a user, this screen is expecting permissions, but I am assuming if I add the user to the group, there would be no permissions to set.

Hopefully, with the screen shot, we can figure this out.
Re: Is it possible to hide categories? [message #20956 is a reply to message #20953] Thu, 04 November 2004 20:56 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
You cannot change the permissions from NO to YES because you've denied access to those permissions inside the admin group manager.
You need to go back to it and set the values for this group to YES.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: hide a forum from rdf
Next Topic: Beginners question
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 13:31:15 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03001 seconds