FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » problem installing FUDForum under eGroupWare
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
problem installing FUDForum under eGroupWare [message #21104] Sat, 13 November 2004 20:20 Go to next message
vkhamenya is currently offline  vkhamenya   Germany
Hi all, hi Ilia,

I've installed eGroupWare 1.0.0.006 from all-in-one .tar.gz distribution.

Some application installed OK after initial eGW setup, but some not.
FUDForum was unlucky "not working application" Smile

Well, when I click FUDForum icon I get:

------------------
The 'files/' (/outside/webserver/docroot) directory exists, however webserver has no write permissions to that directory.
------------------

which is quite strange, because there is no /outside/webserver/docroot in my Linux box.

The PHP code snippet causing this message seems to be as following:

<?php
/***************************************************************************
* copyright            : (C) 2001-2003 Advanced Internet Designs Inc.
* email                : forum(at)prohost(dot)org
* $Id: index.php,v 1.14 2004/07/08 14:32:32 iliaa Exp $
* This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
* under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the
* Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
* (at your option) any later version.
***************************************************************************/

/* $Id: index.php,v 1.14 2004/07/08 14:32:32 iliaa Exp $ */

ignore_user_abort(true);
        set_magic_quotes_runtime(0);

/* security check to prevent execution */
        if (basename(dirname(__FILE__)) == 'setup') {
                exit;
        }

$GLOBALS['phpgw_info']['flags'] = array(
                'currentapp'    =>      'fudforum',
                'noheader'      =>      true,
                'nonavbar'      =>      true,
                'noappheader'   =>      true,
                'noappfooter'   =>      true,
                'nofooter'      =>      true
        );

require_once('./../../header.inc.php');

/* sanity checks, if any of these are true, notify the user & abort the process */
        if (empty($GLOBALS['phpgw_info']['server']['files_dir'])) {
                exit("Please make sure that that 'files/' directory exists & is writeable.");
        } else if (!is_writeable($GLOBALS['phpgw_info']['server']['files_dir'])) {
                exit("The 'files/' ({$GLOBALS['phpgw_info']['server']['files_dir']}) directory exists,
 however webserver has no write permissions to that directory.");
        }

Any hints how to get through?

Thanks
Re: problem installing FUDForum under eGroupWare [message #21106 is a reply to message #21104] Sat, 13 November 2004 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
You need to setup files/ directory somewhere in your eGW config and make sure that it is writable by the web server.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: problem installing FUDForum under eGroupWare [message #21107 is a reply to message #21106] Sat, 13 November 2004 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vkhamenya is currently offline  vkhamenya   Germany
Ilia, thanks for quick reply!

I try to fix this.

BTW, statement "directory exists" from PHP script above was wrong and thefore a bit misleading.
Re: problem installing FUDForum under eGroupWare [message #21858 is a reply to message #21104] Tue, 21 December 2004 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
flensje is currently offline  flensje   Netherlands
Hi,

Does somebody have a clue on this on a w2k box? I have apache2 installed together with PHP5 and mysql 4.0.

The 'files/' (/outside/webserver/docroot) directory exists, however webserver has no write permissions to that directory.

Where should this files folder be? somewhere outside my docroot???? Why would this be?
Embarassed

thanks for any (helpful) suggestions
Re: problem installing FUDForum under eGroupWare [message #21861 is a reply to message #21858] Tue, 21 December 2004 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
In egroupware setup you need to configure a files/ directory and make sure it's writeable by the webserver.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: problem installing FUDForum under eGroupWare [message #21869 is a reply to message #21104] Wed, 22 December 2004 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
flensje is currently offline  flensje   Netherlands
Hi Ilia,

thank you for the quick reply, although it isn't clear to me yet.
Does this mean I need to create a "files/" (including the /) in the docroot of the Egroupware directory on my webserver?
On Windows I cannot create a folder with a /.

I created several folders called "files" on my machine on several locations and I created a user "apache" on my win2k box and granted the rights for read/write/exec/

This did not give the result I was looking for.

Could you give me an example on how you would fix this? doesn't matter if it's a linux or windows example, just so I can figure out myself what I'm missing here.

Thanks again!
cheers
Re: problem installing FUDForum under eGroupWare [message #21873 is a reply to message #21869] Wed, 22 December 2004 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
You don't just create a files/ folder somewhere, you need to make sure that eGW knows exactly where that folder can be found. This is done by specifying the path to this directory in egroupware settings.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: problem installing FUDForum under eGroupWare [message #23555 is a reply to message #21873] Mon, 21 March 2005 22:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wolf is currently offline  wolf   Germany
First of all, hello.

Second, sorry to say, but this is the most problematic FREE forum script of what I've seen and installed till now! Starting with the corrupt archives and finishing with the implementing on CMSystems; here, eGW. There is no point of help in your disscusion as it should be! No example at all! This is what the people are waiting for! Give some samples like: 'files' means the directory where the user and groups are located into eGW, if we are refering to eGW instalation root folders! What full path is 'files' sample refering at?
Maybe some good answers?

Regards,
wolf.
Re: problem installing FUDForum under eGroupWare [message #23593 is a reply to message #23555] Wed, 23 March 2005 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
files/ is an EgroupWare setting that specifies a web server writable directory, which eGW and FUDforum can create the files in.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: problem installing FUDForum under eGroupWare [message #23606 is a reply to message #23593] Thu, 24 March 2005 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your reply/help Ilia.

Regards,
wolf
Re: problem installing FUDForum under eGroupWare [message #23630 is a reply to message #21104] Thu, 24 March 2005 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
paula is currently offline  paula   Germany
Hello

my problem is very similar to the one above: If the fudforum is accessed I always get a message like "The 'files/' (/files) directory exists, however webserver has no write permissions to that directory.

I've copied the file-directory in all available directories with chmod 777:

Library/WebServer/files/Documents/egroupware
Library/WebServer/Documents/files/egroupware
Library/WebServer/Documents/egroupware/files

In the eGroupware-Settings I tried out the following path-informations:

/WebServer/Documents/files
WebServer/Documents/files
/Documents/files
Documents/files
/files
files/
/files/

Nothing worked. Does anyone has a hint, what's going on there and how I can solve the problem? I cannot give more rights than 777 ?!
Re: problem installing FUDForum under eGroupWare [message #23638 is a reply to message #23630] Thu, 24 March 2005 19:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi/Re again.

paula, take a look below:
this is /inside/the/webserver/docroot:
sample1: /var/www/html/whatever - this is the webserver docroot
sample2: /home/xxxx/public_html/whatever - this is the webserver docroot
(depends on what server are u using: Windows, Linux etc.);

now the /outside/webserver/docroot/:
sample1: /var/www/
sample2: /home/xxxx/
As u can see, the last 2 directories are 'missing' on the second group of samples.

Take a look on this short explanation:
cp -a /var/www/html/egroupware/fudforum/crc32 (this is the 'files' created when u made your eGW installation) /path/to/files
or cp -a /home/xxxx/public_html/egroupware/fudforum/crc32
cd /path/to/files
chown -R nobody .
-OR-
chmod -R 777 .

http://yourhost.com/setup/ > Setup/Config > Edit Current Configuration
"Enter the full path for users and group files" => /path/to/crc32

FULL EXPLANATION
----------------
[REQUIRED] Copy egroupware/fudforum/crc32 to where you want to store the files.
THIS SHOULD BE SOMEWHERE NOT INSIDE THE WEBROOT AND NOT ACCESSIBLE TO THE WEB.
Having the files within the webroot is a huge security risk as well as a privacy concern.
The exception to this would be if you WANT the users' and groups' files to be accessible
from the web, such as when setting up public or semi-public web page/document hosting. In
this case, the files directory can be left where it is.
(Make sure you copy the directory, don't just make a new one. The necessary directories
are crc32/ and crc32/home/)
[REQUIRED] In http://yourhost.com/setup, login to Setup/Config, then Edit Current Configuration. Enter the FULL path for the files directory you created earlier in the second box from the top.
[REQUIRED] Change permissions for files directory and all it's subdirectories to be writable by Apache
This is the files directory you created earlier and specified in setup (Edit Current Configuration). Note that 'nobody' below could also be 'apache' on your system. Check the 'User' setting in your httpd.conf.
cd /path/to/crc32
chown -R nobody .
-OR-
chmod -R 777 .

If you can open an FTP session over SSH, you'll see the just copyied /./../crc32 outside your webserver docroot and will be something like this:
/var/www/crc32
or
/home/xxxx/crc32

Hope this helps somehow.

Regards,
wolf
Re: problem installing FUDForum under eGroupWare [message #23685 is a reply to message #23638] Sat, 26 March 2005 04:04 Go to previous message
paula is currently offline  paula   Germany
Hello wolf,

thank you very, very much for your detailed answer. It showed me my first idea was the right one: FUDForum needs the files-directory ABOVE the Document Root (respectively in my case in the webserver root) - but I was unsure about it.

The formulation in the read me file ("NOT INSIDE THE WEBROOT") is not very precise. My interpretation of "Webroot" was "Webserver-Root" and this was exactly the opposite of what the read me file want to say.

Some hours later I switched my own brain on again and tried to install the FUDforum with a folder ABOVE the Document Root and now it works fine.

Thank you for your help.

Regards
paula
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Copy or chmod problem with install?
Next Topic: nntp import memory error
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun Oct 20 05:31:39 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02578 seconds