FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » how to download newsgroups for first time
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
how to download newsgroups for first time [message #21691] Fri, 10 December 2004 19:29 Go to next message
josemv is currently offline  josemv   Spain
Maybe I posted this topic on the wrong forum?

Hello,

I did setup FUDforum with newsgroups. For testing purposes I downloaded news from a couple of news groups, but looks like the threads are merged, could be because has been running different processes at the same time? I did manually from the command line and at the same time it is possible that processes could be started for the cron jobs. Finally I aborted the operation because after 5 hours are more than 30.000 messages pending, on that time the system downloaded around 20.000 messages.

Have some questions:
- what is the best way to remove all threads and users? If have to remove from tables what they are?
- what is the best way to populate tables for the first time from the newsgroups?
- could run more than one process at the same time? to download news from different newsgroups I mean.

Thanks

[Updated on: Fri, 10 December 2004 19:30]

Report message to a moderator

Re: how to download newsgroups for first time [message #21693 is a reply to message #21691] Fri, 10 December 2004 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Removal of topics/messages can be done via the prunning admin control panel. However if you intend to delete everything the easiest way to do it would be like this:

DELETE FROM fud26_msg;
DELETE FROM fud26_users WHERE id > 2;

(I's important you leave the 1st 2 users since the 1st is the "special anon user" and the 2nd is the admin user).

Once those two queries are executed, run the forum's consistency checker.

You can certainly run 2 NNTP import processes as long as they import from unrelated news groups.

As far as the initial import goes you can either wait or make the forum start from a certain message so only the latest 1000 messages are imported rather then all 50,000.

FUDforum Core Developer

[Updated on: Fri, 10 December 2004 19:50]

Report message to a moderator

Re: how to download newsgroups for first time [message #21694 is a reply to message #21691] Fri, 10 December 2004 20:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
josemv is currently offline  josemv   Spain
Ilia,

I'm absolutely amazed about your answers. Thanks a lot.

Understood the way to restore the process, but you said "or make the forum start from a certain message so only the latest 1000 messages", how could do it? passing parameters on the nntp script?

By the way, are you the developer of this project?

There is some way to contribute to the project with money, special licenses, anything?

Thanks

Re: how to download newsgroups for first time [message #21695 is a reply to message #21694] Fri, 10 December 2004 20:38 Go to previous message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
When the forum is importing messages it creates a special file where it stores the NNTP id of the message that was imported last. If you want to make the forum start from a certain position you simply need to create/edit that file and put id of the message you want start from in there.

The file can be found inside errors/.nntp/ and the name will be nntp-[news group name].

Yes, I am the developer of the project.

As far as contributing to the project, sponsoring development is certainly an option, contributing translations, graphics/layout improvement are other means of supporting further development.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: newsgroups error splitting content?
Next Topic: users are unable to register with the forum, SQL error, fresh install
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat Jun 29 01:02:28 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04219 seconds