FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Group Inheritance and User Permissions
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
Group Inheritance and User Permissions [message #21987] Thu, 06 January 2005 21:55 Go to previous message
mikelcu is currently offline  mikelcu   United States
I am a bit confused by one way inheritance works in regard to user permissions.

I have a setup with a main group A, and subgroup B.

Group B inherits from Group A
all forums under Group B inherit from Group B

If (for example) I change 'Read' to 'NO' in Group A, 'Read' turns to 'NO' all the way down to individual forums via the inheritance, as I would expect.

Next I log in as group leader for Group B. The option to change "Read" for any forums inheriting from Group B is gone, as it should be.

But here is the part I don't quite understand. Although I changed 'Read' to 'NO' as admin, the user permissions for the group leader show that 'Read' permission is still set to 'Yes' inside all the subgroups.

I expected that if I changed permissions in a parent group, that the changes would not only affect subgoups/forums, but it would also affect the current permissions of group members, even the leaders.

What this would mean is if I wanted to turn off 'Read' for all groups and members under Group A, I would have to change the setting in the groups manager for Group A (this covers groups), but then I would have to go (as admin, since leaders can no longer change 'Read') to each existing member of all groups under Group A and manually change the individual user permissions for each group.

I guess the base question is this:

Is there a way to affect group member permissions based on a change made to permissions of a parent group?

If not, is the normal way to change permissions for group members to change them each individually or am I missing something?

Hopefully this makes some kind of sense Wink

TIA
-mike

[Updated on: Thu, 06 January 2005 21:56]

Report message to a moderator

[Message index]

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: FUDforum feature question...
Next Topic: WHERE DO I GO TO
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun Oct 20 23:23:04 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04433 seconds