FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » Mailing lists and Message-ID
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
Mailing lists and Message-ID [message #22180] Wed, 19 January 2005 00:31 Go to previous message
mikelcu is currently offline  mikelcu   United States
It appears that when a mail without the "Message-ID" header reaches a forum, FUD does not see the mail as arriving from a mailing list, and ends up forwarding it back to the list, resulting in a double-post both on the list and in the forum.

The mailer in question is syncmail, being used to log cvs commits. The mail server is qmail. Normally, the Message-ID is added by the mail server, but in my case I think it is because of how mail is handled:

syncmail -> mail server (has smtproute for lists.domain.com) -> list server -> "|preline qmail_to_mailman.py"

My best guess for this scenario is that because the mail is smtprouted on the first mail server piped directly to a script on the list server, then qmail-inject never gets a chance to write the Message-ID header.

This example is pretty specific, and unlikely to affect many people, however it does illustrate that any mail arriving without a Message-ID may not be handled properly.

Possible fixes?

Watch for more than just Message-ID when checking for loops, maybe start with that then move on to Reply-To or some other header if Message-ID does not exist.

Disallow forwarding to a mailing list for any post that comes in via maillist.php. I can't think of a situation where mail would come in via maillist.php and need to be forwarded on to a list (maybe if more than one list is attached to a forum? though that is probably a really bad idea anyway. maybe there should be a one-list-per-forum limit)

My workaround:

modified syncmail to add a Message-ID header

[Message index]

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Thread Navigator/Forum display/Forum management
Next Topic: Strange "General Pager Link Count" behaviour
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Jul 05 08:56:47 GMT 2024