FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » how to configure more descriptive urls?
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
how to configure more descriptive urls? [message #22244] Mon, 24 January 2005 08:46 Go to next message
SimonHF is currently offline  SimonHF   Germany
The following FUDforum board has long URLs made from the original posting subject:
http://www.issociate.de/board/post/165625/Ausgabe_und_nichtblockierende_Ein gabe_auf_serielle_Schnittstelle.html

How can I configure my FUDforum board to behave the same way and present such long URLs?
In which of the FUDforum docs is this described?

Thanks.
Re: how to configure more descriptive urls? [message #22255 is a reply to message #22244] Mon, 24 January 2005 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
This is a custom mod based on the PATH_INFO theme.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: how to configure more descriptive urls? [message #22256 is a reply to message #22255] Mon, 24 January 2005 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks very much for the reply.

I had a quick look at http://fudforum.org/doc/d/html/ but can't see anything about PATH_INFO. Where can I read up on the PATH_INFO theme?

Thanks.
Re: how to configure more descriptive urls? [message #22257 is a reply to message #22256] Mon, 24 January 2005 16:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay - so I install the .9 version of FUDforum.
Although PATH_INFO is not mentioned in the documentation, it is mentioned when FUDforum is installed.
So I edited the default theme to use PATH_INFO, but then when I try to navigate to the test forum then I get a blank screen with the following message: "No input file specified."
Can it be that PATH_INFO doesn't work with Apache2 ?
Is there likely to be a fix for this in the near future?
Or do I have to configure something else to get PATH_INFO working?
Re: how to configure more descriptive urls? [message #22259 is a reply to message #22257] Mon, 24 January 2005 20:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Did you enable PATH_INFO in the settings (option near the bottom of the page in the main admin control panel). If you have and still does not work, then you are probably unfortunate enough to be stuck with misconfigured Apache2/PHP.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: how to configure more descriptive urls? [message #22275 is a reply to message #22259] Tue, 25 January 2005 18:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, I selected that option too.

I installed the latest Apache2 on Windows and the newest PHP 4 version (not PHP 5...). Both installations are still using the default configurations from install-time.

(I installed Apache2 + PHP 4 + MySQL in order to try out osCommerce... which works very well with this combgination.)

Any hints as to what I might look for?
Re: how to configure more descriptive urls? [message #22278 is a reply to message #22275] Tue, 25 January 2005 21:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Basically the easiest way to see if path_info is going to work is to make a php script a.php and then access it via http://your_server/a.php/a/b/c/

if it goes to a.php and not give you an error path_info in fudforum will work.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: how to configure more descriptive urls? [message #22281 is a reply to message #22278] Wed, 26 January 2005 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay - although I have Apache2, I followed the instructions here and everything worked after:
http://www.ez.no/community/forum/install_configuration/how_to_make_acceptpa thinfo_on_work_in_apache_1_3_27

So the following line was missing from the httpd.conf file:
LoadModule php4_module "c:\php\php4apache2.dll"

Now where would I start to change:
http://localhost/FUDforum_2-6-9/FUDforum2/index.php/f/1/2/ac94abc1d20014594 ee61d316be3e5df/
into something like:
http://www.issociate.de/board/post/165625/Ausgabe_und_nichtblockierende_Ein gabe_auf_serielle_Schnittstelle.html

Thanks.
Re: how to configure more descriptive urls? [message #22288 is a reply to message #22281] Wed, 26 January 2005 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Well, you probably want to generate mod_rewrite rules to convert the URLs from descriptive style into the FUDforum one.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: how to configure more descriptive urls? [message #22289 is a reply to message #22288] Wed, 26 January 2005 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I haven't used mod-rewrite before but reading the docs then it only seems to rewrite the URLs in one direction, i.e. incoming URLs get rewritten to new URLs and/or file paths.

However if you look at this web-page then 'outgoing' (i.e. those URLs embedded in the web page itself) URLs have also been rewritten:
http://www.issociate.de/board/thread/47/de.comp.lang.perl.misc

If I'm understand mod_rewrite correctly then it doesn't rewrite URL links within HTML, or?

Presumably the change is going to be to a FUDforum script, or?
Re: how to configure more descriptive urls? [message #22290 is a reply to message #22289] Wed, 26 January 2005 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
To make FUDforum use the urls within it's links you'd need to modify the code.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: how to configure more descriptive urls? [message #22291 is a reply to message #22290] Wed, 26 January 2005 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Right... so do you have any tips as to where might be a good place to start. I know PHP & MySQL quite well. Is there a particular place in the code that you think would be a good place for me to start experimenting?
Re: how to configure more descriptive urls? [message #22292 is a reply to message #22291] Wed, 26 January 2005 17:19 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
Well, from what I see the URL you've described, is that the ID of the message is passed + subject of the message. The subject is just fluf ;P, so you only need the id of the message. You can first try changing links in thread.tmpl and threadt.tmpl and adjusting path_info handling inside users.inc.t

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Migration lost ability to open messages
Next Topic: can't get newsgroup manager to work
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 05:16:47 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02899 seconds