FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » FUDforum 3.0+ » Groups/Ranks/Users  () 2 Votes
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
icon9.gif  Groups/Ranks/Users [message #2213] Mon, 06 May 2002 04:44 Go to next message
esm2002 is currently offline  esm2002   United States
I read an earlier post on the above but I am still clueless about this area.

In the Group Editor Selection screen, I can see a "member" section where I can edit/delete and I have members "Anonymous" and All Registered Users.

In the Group Manager area I added a couple of groups but could find where to use them.

How does all this relate to users and ranks? Ranks just seem to be a description based on number of posts. I could not find anything that related groups or permissions.

Well, it is almost 1am so I am obviously in sleep depravation...!

Gene

Gene
"The older I get, the more I admire competence, just simple competence in any field from adultery to zoology."
Re: Groups/Ranks/Users [message #2225 is a reply to message #2213] Mon, 06 May 2002 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
The user rank system has absolutely nothing to do with the group/user managment. The rank system merely allows you to automatically assign certain text/image tags to user who have reached a certain number of posts.

The group/user systems allows you to control what people on your forums can and cannot do.

FUDforum Core Developer
icon5.gif  Re: Groups/Ranks/Users [message #2228 is a reply to message #2225] Mon, 06 May 2002 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep, I stated that ranks seemed to relate only to the number of posts.

so, how do I set up "group/user systems... to control what people on your forums can and cannot do?"

All of my forums have the members "Anonymous" and "All Registered Users" in the Group Editor Selection screen. In this area I can add individual users to a forum - but that seems unwieldly with a large number of users

I can add a new group but I cannot add the new group to a forum nor can assign a user to a group. That seems logical to me: create a group, assign permissions to a group, then assign the group to the forum.

I've installed and used ikonboard 3, vbulletin, phpbb 2, yabb se, gossamer-threads, etc with little or no problem - I have a great web host service!!

Gene
"The older I get, the more I admire competence, just simple competence in any field from adultery to zoology."
Re: Groups/Ranks/Users [message #2233 is a reply to message #2228] Mon, 06 May 2002 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Groups and group managers can only be created/added by the admin(s) using the "Group Manager" in the admin control panel.

Then both the admin(s) & group manager(s) can add users to the group. If you want to give a user permissions other then those of all other users in the group you can do so.

Each group can control permissions over multiple forums, you "attach" forums to a group via the admin "Group Manager" by selecting the forums you want the group to control via the multiselect.

"Anonymous" and "All Registered Users" are special users in the group which define default permissions for the forums the group controls for the users who are not specifically defined inside the group.

FUDforum Core Developer
icon6.gif  Re: Groups/Ranks/Users [message #2249 is a reply to message #2213] Mon, 06 May 2002 18:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kerhold is currently offline  Kerhold   Poland

Hi!

I have a related question.
What about translating a strings of ranks?
Are they hardcoded?
Can we expect them to be in templates?

Regards,

Kerhold Cool

Common sense is not so common.
Re: Groups/Ranks/Users [message #2250 is a reply to message #2249] Mon, 06 May 2002 18:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The user ranks are something the admin can change at any time. We only offer 4 basic ranks so that people who install the forum know they are there. I presume most people will add/change the ranks once they install the forum.

Thus, I do not see the need to translate them.

To change the ranks, simply use the "Rank Manager" control panel.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Groups/Ranks/Users [message #2304 is a reply to message #2233] Tue, 07 May 2002 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, I had prepared a long post saying that I still did not understand....but now I think I understand...at least the basics.

FUDForum maintains a listing of all forum/group permissions settings. Each newly created forum/group has their permission settings stored here. You can edit these permission at any time. However, changing the settings at this level does not change the settings of any forum/group that these settings were previously assigned to. Any changes to the permissions affect only future forums/groups that are assigned this forum/group settings. In other words this listing is used to grant/deny access to a forum/group initially. There appears to be no direct functionality of the listing except when initially assigning the settings of a "member" ( see below ).

Maybe I am wrong on this but that is what is seems like to me.

To see the listing go to the Admin Control Panel and I click on the Groups Manager link.

Two types of groups exist initially for this listing: the Anonymous group and the All Registered Users group. These are accessible thru the Admin Control Panel, Groups Manager option and can be edited/deleted there. They are initially assigned to each forum/group when it is created. While each forum/group that is created has a permissions setting added to this list, they are not added to the forum/group itself - only the Anonymous group and the All Registered Users group are added initially when the forum/group is created.

When you create a forum, the Anonymous group and the All Registered Users group are assigned to each forum. You can edit each of these groups for that particular forum without changing the global listing settings for the two groups. The Good...you can have different permissions for different forums for the Anonymous group and the All Registered Users group; The Bad....you have to update every forum if you want to change the same permission setting across forums for either.

From another post that I read, there were no user defined groups in earlier versions. In the latest version you can define your own groups.

When I am in a forum and click on the Admin : | Group(s) Manager link, I go to a Group Editor Selection screen. Here, I can edit a group - basically, the forums I have created ( but also other groups that I have already created in the Groups Manager link in the Admin Control Panel ). Once I click the "Edit Group" button, I can do one of two things. First, I can assign a "member" to the forum/group and give that member whatever permissions I want for that forum. Second, I can edit or delete the various members of that group/forum. Remember, by default, the "Anonymous" and "All Registered Users" groups were added to this group/forum when it was initially created and these are independent of the global groups - I can edit or delete either one without changing the global settings for these groups.

Two things here. I can delete either or both of the Anonymous group or the All Registered Users group. However, I see no way to add either of them back once deleted. Which leads to the second point, I see no way to add a settings group to this forum/group.

So, yes, I can add a user to a forum/group. I think this might have some limited value. One or two, a handful, even a small number. But I don't want to have a group with 35,000 users assigned to it.

No, I do not see a way to add a group to a forum - adding a group to a group would probably be a very special situation.

So what is the purpose of the settings listing I described above??? I can't attach them ( forums/groups ) to users and I can't attach them ( forums/groups ) to other forums/group. They appear to be just there in the listing.

"Each group can control permissions over multiple forums,..." How? I see no way to add a group to a forum.

"...you "attach" forums to a group via the admin "Group Manager..." How do I attach a forum to a group ( It would seem to be just the opposite )????

"...by selecting the forums you want the group to control via the multiselect." Where exactly is this "multiselect" located????? How is it invoked????

What I see is:

1. the Anonymous group and the All Registered Users group can be assigned to each forum and I can assign permissions for each at the forum level.

2. I can attach permissions for a single user at the forum level.

3. I can attach members ( users ) to a group and set the user's permissions.

What I don't see is:

1. How a group can be assigned/attached to a forum ( see 3. above )

Hmmm. Why not allow the creation of a user defined group(s), set the permissions for the group and attach that group to a forum??? All members of the group would have the same permissions - kind of like the Anonymous and All Registered Users groups.

Well, obviously I am confused but I want to set this up correctly before I go live. Changing things after I go live would be a lot of unnecessary work.

Anyway, thanks for you help and understanding. I really like this software!

Gene
Re: Groups/Ranks/Users [message #2308 is a reply to message #2304] Tue, 07 May 2002 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
In our permission system you do not attach groups to forum but rather add forums to a group. This is the same way file permissions work on Windows and UNIX, where you create user groups, which themselves have users and then assign resources, (files) in our case forums to those groups.

The admin can define the settings that the group manager can control for the users in the group via the admin control panel, the admin can also make the groups "inherit" settings from other groups.
For example, the admin can make the "VIEW" permission be inherited from "group A". When that permission is changed for Group A, all the groups that inherit this permission will automatically have their setting changed.

When a new forum is created a group with 2 users (Anonymous & All registered) is automatically created to control the permissions for that forum. The permission values of those 2 users are obtained from the 2 "super groups" "Anonymous" & "All Registered".

There is indeed a problem that you cannot add "All Registered" users/groups once they are deleted, this is a bug and will be addressed shortly.

You attach forums to a group using the multiselect in the group manager. Here is the screen shot of the page, the multiselect is surrounded by red border. (refer to the attached groupmgr.png)
This multiselect MAY be empty if you Bulletin Board has no forums.

When you add a user the permission of the user added previously will be selected as default, so adding large amount of users simply involves entering their usernames into the text box. I don't think you can get any easier then that.

New groups CAN be created by the admin(s) via the group manager and the admin can define which forums those groups will control. Using the Group Manager the admin can also define the group manager(s), there can be more then 1 as well as define what permissions the group manager can control. The admin can also define inheritences between groups.

To access the admin group manager, click on the "Admin Control Panel" and then click on the "Groups Manager" under the "User Management" heading.
  • Attachment: groupmgr.png
    (Size: 34.02KB, Downloaded 943 times)

FUDforum Core Developer
icon10.gif  Re: Groups/Ranks/Users [message #2323 is a reply to message #2308] Tue, 07 May 2002 18:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, I thought I would start all over. Tried to delete the permission settings in the Admin Control Panel, Groups Manager link. I could delete any groups I created but not any settings created when I created the forums. I had previously deleted the TestForum forum but still could not delete the settings for it. I then deleted all of the forums...I only had 5....Tried to delete the permission settings once again but could not...

So now I have no forums but have all the permission settings left hanging around.

Gene
Re: Groups/Ranks/Users [message #2324 is a reply to message #2323] Tue, 07 May 2002 19:04 Go to previous message
hackie is currently offline  hackie   Canada
Core Developer

That's because you actually didn't yet delete those forums Smile.

They are still in the "system", because when you delete a forum FUD actually moves it to a trash bin of sorts, you can truly delete this forum from there using "Deleted Forums" option in the admin control panel. You can also restore deleted forums using this option. Smile

Enjoy Razz....

cc intelligence.c -o intelligence
$ ./intelligence
Segmentation fault
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Time question
Next Topic: Hardcoded String
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun Sep 08 00:41:25 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03556 seconds