FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » FUDforum 3.0+ » Error deleting user
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Error deleting user [message #2236] Mon, 06 May 2002 16:28 Go to next message
esm2002 is currently offline  esm2002   United States
Tried to delete a user test01 and received the following error message:

Warning: Unlink failed (No such file or directory) in /home/saint351/public_html/fudforum/nb/include/users_adm.inc on line 171
unable to remove users external settings

other than the Admin user, test01 was the only user.

Gene
"The older I get, the more I admire competence, just simple competence in any field from adultery to zoology."
Re: Error deleting user [message #2237 is a reply to message #2236] Mon, 06 May 2002 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Fixed in CVS.

Affected file users_adm.inc.t

Patched file attached to the message.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Error deleting user [message #2239 is a reply to message #2237] Mon, 06 May 2002 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, I'll copy that file to the server...

Since that error occurred, I have not been able to access the forum..."Cannot find server" or any of the admin pages...

Maybe, I'll save the forum.css and just reinstall it...maybe that will also fix the date

Gene
"The older I get, the more I admire competence, just simple competence in any field from adultery to zoology."
Re: Error deleting user [message #2241 is a reply to message #2239] Mon, 06 May 2002 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Hmmm....

That error was actually pretty harmless it merely indicated that a file that did not exist could not be deleted.

Try re-starting your browser and accessing the forum again...

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Error deleting user [message #2243 is a reply to message #2241] Mon, 06 May 2002 17:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep, already tried that...still not working

Gene
Re: Error deleting user [message #2245 is a reply to message #2236] Mon, 06 May 2002 17:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hackie is currently offline  hackie   Canada
Core Developer

Okie when you go to the forum, what happens, does the browser just sit and do nothing?

cc intelligence.c -o intelligence
$ ./intelligence
Segmentation fault
Re: Error deleting user [message #2247 is a reply to message #2245] Mon, 06 May 2002 18:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just sits there and never does get to the FUD forum

Gene
Re: Error deleting user [message #2248 is a reply to message #2247] Mon, 06 May 2002 18:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hackie is currently offline  hackie   Canada
Core Developer

esm2002 wrote on Mon, 06 May 2002 2:08 PM

just sits there and never does get to the FUD forum

Okie, this is little snafu with persistant connections and mysql table locking and php's ineptness....

Basically, what is currently happening is that your PHP script when it got that error left the MySQL tables locked, and since php's dumb and didn't excute the atexit function which unlocks the tables because of that error.

So, you really have two solutions that you can try:

First you can restart your webserver which will fix this (because upon restart php will close all mysql connections and therefor drop the locks)

Second you can use mysqladmin utlity to get the list of all the active mysql threads, and kill off the thread that is holding the tables hostage Smile

Also, in the future to prevent this from happening disable persistant connections in the globals control pannel, while they do enchance the preformance a bit, because php is broken in some cases it's now safe to use it, as you've just found out.

If you require more help resolving this prob ask away Smile

cc intelligence.c -o intelligence
$ ./intelligence
Segmentation fault
Re: Error deleting user [message #2255 is a reply to message #2248] Mon, 06 May 2002 18:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Germany
I've seen this PHP issue with persistant connections relatively often (even screwed up a server once with it Wink) How about setting "using persistant connection" to "no" as default? This would be way safer since the forum would run at any case. Currently the default is set to "yes".
bye
Ken
Re: Error deleting user [message #2256 is a reply to message #2255] Mon, 06 May 2002 18:54 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
In 99% of the cases it is safe, especially since we have hadlers for errors that check for table locks and clear them. I suspect on some PHP versions error handler functions do not work as advertised and such problems occur.

This is actually the 1st time such an error has occured outside of our test servers. Under normal conditions ONLY fatal parse error (cannot be handled by php error handling) could in some cases result in a left over table lock.

As a rule generally persistant connections are better then opening a socket everytime.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: IIS probs with 20020430
Next Topic: Patch: Jabber support
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun Sep 08 04:41:09 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03054 seconds