FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » FUDforum 3.0+ » Controlling user access externally
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
Controlling user access externally [message #22504] Sat, 05 February 2005 04:16 Go to previous message
krbvroc1 is currently offline  krbvroc1   United States
Hello, I'm trying to accomplish some things and I'm having a tough time.

I currently have a website, mailing list and local NNTP server. We use FUDforum to suck articles from the NNTP for those users who cannot/will not use a newsreader.

Here is our scenario. People who are not members within a database adminstered from our website cannot post. Thus there are 3 types of people.

1) Anonymous - these people get read-only access to everything
2) Unregistered - these people are present in our database but are either unconfirmed or have been disabled. These people get read-only access to everything.
3) Registered - these people are present in out database and get full read/port capability.

Implementing this policy has not been tough in my other areas.
For the website, we query the database. For the newsreader, I use authentication from a db4 file that the website updates. For the mailing list, I added a handler to the python code of mailman to query the database and use the 'moderation' flag and automatic rejection.

Trying to do this in Fudforum is a problem. Partly becuase I'm finding it tough to figure our the design/code. Partly because of the access model.

Several searches here said there was a FUD API. One response said that it supported add / remove users. I do not see that in either the latest stable or latest RC version. It all appears to be related messaging / online users.

I was able to create a standalone php program that creates a 'fud_user_reg' object, fills in some fields, and calls add_user(). I had to modify add_user() to pass it an optional flag. It is now add_user($password_is_md5=0). I need to pass a password that is already encrypyed. add_user expects plaintext. Perhaps you can add this minor change? This way only users in our website database are created and they have a common username/password.

I have no idea of how to implement the access policy. Basically I thought I could create a stand alone php function which our website would use to modify a users group membership. I cannot figure out what tables are involved and how they relate! Conceptually, shouldn't I be able to change a registered user to an 'anonymous level user'. From the admin-land it appears anonymous level is what I want. I don't use any levels other than the two defaults. I was looking at the fud26_groups and fud26_group_members tables but I cannot figure it out. So, if I want to move a user using SQL commands from resitered level to anonymous level, how can I do this?

Thanks
[Message index]

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Notice: Undefined index
Next Topic: Question regarding email support
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Oct 04 22:12:00 GMT 2024