FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » FUDforum 3.0+ » Question regarding email support
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Question regarding email support [message #22652] Thu, 10 February 2005 09:00 Go to next message
Scorponok is currently offline  Scorponok   United States
Hi, I have some questions regarding FUD forum's support for email integration. I've installed it myself, but I can't find anything relating to these features - am I missing something?

1) Is it possible for someone who subscribes to a forum to be notified of ALL new posts in that forum, not just new topics?

2) Is it possible to respond by email, and have that post included in the forum?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Re: Question regarding email support [message #22656 is a reply to message #22652] Thu, 10 February 2005 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Scorponok wrote on Thu, 10 February 2005 04:00

1) Is it possible for someone who subscribes to a forum to be notified of ALL new posts in that forum, not just new topics?

No, the notifications allows one (or both) of the following:

1) Notify when a topic is posted in a subscribe forum.
2) Notify when someone posts a reply in a subscribed forum.

Quote:

2) Is it possible to respond by email, and have that post included in the forum?

You can use the mailing list integration for this purpose.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Question regarding email support [message #22676 is a reply to message #22656] Thu, 10 February 2005 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia wrote on Thu, 10 February 2005 08:54

No, the notifications allows one (or both) of the following:

1) Notify when a topic is posted in a subscribe forum.
2) Notify when someone posts a reply in a subscribed forum.

How easy would it be to set something up such that if you had subscribed to a forum, you automatically subscribed to all threads within it?

Quote:

Quote:

You can use the mailing list integration for this purpose.

Ah, thanks.
Re: Question regarding email support [message #22679 is a reply to message #22676] Thu, 10 February 2005 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Scorponok wrote on Thu, 10 February 2005 14:49

How easy would it be to set something up such that if you had subscribed to a forum, you automatically subscribed to all threads within it?

It would be easier to modify the code to send notifications on any new message inside a forum to subscribers of that forum.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Question regarding email support [message #22681 is a reply to message #22652] Thu, 10 February 2005 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Thanks for your replies so far. It looks like mailing list integration is what we need, so I'm working on that. I have procmail set up to process incoming email, and it's currently failing like this:

PHP Warning:  main(/home/skrill/fudforumdata/scripts/GLOBALS.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/skrill/fudforumdata/scripts/maillist.php on line 334

I believe this is happening because maillist.php has no permissions for anyone except the web server process (which created it). If I change the permissions for maillist.php, permissions issues with another file pop up; if I change them for that file, issues occur with another file, etc.

What do I need to do to get procmail working properly with the scripts? Should I just make the whole scripts directory +r or +x?

Thanks for your help.
Re: Question regarding email support [message #22684 is a reply to message #22681] Fri, 11 February 2005 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
As the instructions on the mailling list integeration control panel recommend, the best way to do this is to "unlock" the forum via the admin control panel for that purpose.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Question regarding email support [message #22693 is a reply to message #22684] Fri, 11 February 2005 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia wrote on Thu, 10 February 2005 19:04

As the instructions on the mailling list integeration control panel recommend, the best way to do this is to "unlock" the forum via the admin control panel for that purpose.

Thank you! That has fixed it. However, I can't find the instructions you refer to on the 'mailing list manager' control panel; am I being blind?
Re: Question regarding email support [message #22694 is a reply to message #22693] Fri, 11 February 2005 01:29 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
Need to commit those notes to CVS Smile

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Controlling user access externally
Next Topic: Forum Deletion
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat Oct 05 02:20:34 GMT 2024