FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Converters » Ipb 1.3 to last version of FUDforum
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Ipb 1.3 to last version of FUDforum [message #23109] Fri, 04 March 2005 17:08 Go to next message
DogManStar is currently offline  DogManStar   France
Hi,
I don't want to pay for ipb 2.0 and i think FUDforum is the best forum i've seen but i need a converter.
I have about 150 000 messages to convert and before doing this i wanted to know if the ipb 1.1.x converter is ok or not?
Thank you very much
Chris

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams ... glitter in the dark near Tanhauser Gate. All those ... moments will be lost ... in time, like tears ... in rain. Time ... to die.
Re: Ipb 1.3 to last version of FUDforum [message #23110 is a reply to message #23109] Fri, 04 March 2005 20:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Hard to say, I suspect there is a good chance an old conversion script won't work and new one needs to be written. But you can certainly try it, it won't break the existing ipb forum.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Ipb 1.3 to last version of FUDforum [message #23111 is a reply to message #23109] Fri, 04 March 2005 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As i have a private server i copied my database to an other to test the script.
I hope to test it this we. I don't know if it exists a difference between 1.1 and 1.3 database for ipb.
I'll give some feedback.
If it fails I'll try to convert to phpbb and after to FUDforum Rolling Eyes
Thanx

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams ... glitter in the dark near Tanhauser Gate. All those ... moments will be lost ... in time, like tears ... in rain. Time ... to die.

[Updated on: Fri, 04 March 2005 21:51]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Ipb 1.3 to last version of FUDforum [message #23238 is a reply to message #23109] Wed, 09 March 2005 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Some bad news...
For a reason i ignore the script stops before converting all members. It stops at 90%. I don't even talk about messages Smile
No error message, nothing.
I don't even see the print "Importing forum members" Shocked
What can i do?
I have a large forum, 2500 members, 150 000 messages.
I can access to the php.ini and i have ssh access also.
Of course i can export ipb tables (1.3) without any datas for test
Thank you

Re: Ipb 1.3 to last version of FUDforum [message #23239 is a reply to message #23238] Wed, 09 March 2005 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I suspect the script reaches maximum execution time limit before it had a chance to finish... Try raising that value or running the script via command line.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Ipb 1.3 to last version of FUDforum [message #23247 is a reply to message #23239] Thu, 10 March 2005 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia wrote on Wed, 09 March 2005 17:53

running the script via command line.

I never run a php script via command line.
I suppose you mean with putty (or other)?
Reading this page, i saw the "max_execution_time" is set to unlimited, a good news Smile

Thank you

chris

ps : i think a lot of ipb users are thinking about change 'coz of new deal with 2.0 version.

Re: Ipb 1.3 to last version of FUDforum [message #23250 is a reply to message #23247] Thu, 10 March 2005 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Yeah, via putty (ssh) or via telnet.

One of the possible reasons why importing users is slow is because the forum is importing remote avatars and validating them. You can try disabling that code in the conversion script to see if it addresses the speed issue of the conversion.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Ipb 1.3 to last version of FUDforum [message #23251 is a reply to message #23250] Thu, 10 March 2005 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
BTW, if you are willing to provide a data dump of your forum I will be able to write a direct ipb 1.3 to FUDforum conversion script.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Ipb 1.3 to last version of FUDforum [message #23258 is a reply to message #23250] Thu, 10 March 2005 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia wrote on Thu, 10 March 2005 09:07

Yeah, via putty (ssh) or via telnet.

One of the possible reasons why importing users is slow is because the forum is importing remote avatars and validating them. You can try disabling that code in the conversion script to see if it addresses the speed issue of the conversion.

Thanx
Commenting php code is my speciality Very Happy
I hope this evening or tomorrow to test the script via putty.

Re: Ipb 1.3 to last version of FUDforum [message #23259 is a reply to message #23258] Thu, 10 March 2005 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Be sure to unlock the forum 1st via the admin control panel (Lock/Unlock) before running it, otherwise you will get permission errors.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Ipb 1.3 to last version of FUDforum [message #23260 is a reply to message #23251] Thu, 10 March 2005 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia wrote on Thu, 10 March 2005 09:09

BTW, if you are willing to provide a data dump of your forum I will be able to write a direct ipb 1.3 to FUDforum conversion script.

It's my second speciality. Rolling Eyes
  • Attachment: ipb.zip
    (Size: 5.07KB, Downloaded 1404 times)

[Updated on: Thu, 10 March 2005 15:08]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Ipb 1.3 to last version of FUDforum [message #23261 is a reply to message #23259] Thu, 10 March 2005 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia wrote on Thu, 10 March 2005 10:02

Be sure to unlock the forum 1st via the admin control panel (Lock/Unlock) before running it, otherwise you will get permission errors.

ok
"The forum's files appear to be: UNLOCKED."

Just a word to say FUDforum is really great.
For two monthes i'm searching for a new forum and with this one i think i found THE forum i need.
Thank you very much.

Re: Ipb 1.3 to last version of FUDforum [message #23263 is a reply to message #23260] Thu, 10 March 2005 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I think you misunderstood me, when I said data dump I ment the dump of ALL the data in the forum, not the just the SQL table structure. The way we design conversion scripts is literaly converting the forum based on the datadump and ensuring that the final result resembles the original as much as possible. Consequently a solid conversion utility is created.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Ipb 1.3 to last version of FUDforum [message #23264 is a reply to message #23263] Thu, 10 March 2005 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia wrote on Thu, 10 March 2005 10:14

I think you misunderstood me, when I said data dump I ment the dump of ALL the data in the forum, not the just the SQL table structure. The way we design conversion scripts is literaly converting the forum based on the datadump and ensuring that the final result resembles the original as much as possible. Consequently a solid conversion utility is created.

Sorry.
The problem i have is the size of my database.
I can give you a link, this evening, to a .tar.gz of about 27 Mo.
Is it ok or a little big?

Re: Ipb 1.3 to last version of FUDforum [message #23265 is a reply to message #23264] Thu, 10 March 2005 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
That's fine, send me a link via a private message and I'll try to write a dedicated conversion script in the next few days. If possible also give me a URL to the original forum so that I can compare the converted data to the original.

Also please include the conf_global.php file (remove any sensetive info from it like passwords). And the sources/lib/post_parser.php file, looking @ the old conversion script it seems have been used.

if possible also please provide 5-10 file uploads and avatars so that functionality could be tested as well.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re : Ipb 1.3 to last version of FUDforum [message #23283 is a reply to message #23109] Thu, 10 March 2005 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Done.
I asked on the french forum of ipb about changes between 1.1 and 1.3 database.
I'm waiting for an answer.

Re : Ipb 1.3 to last version of FUDforum [message #25031 is a reply to message #23109] Mon, 23 May 2005 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I converted my forum from ipb to fudforum this we.
It worked at 99%.
I have problem with permissions and i need to do again all, not a very big problem.
But i had an other strange problem.
Even if i did the "Forum Consistency" i have a problem with last messages.
For example in a thread i have all messages but when i check index or i navigate thru the forums the "last message" is wrong. It's not the last but a message posted sometimes ago.

Re: Re : Ipb 1.3 to last version of FUDforum [message #25037 is a reply to message #25031] Mon, 23 May 2005 14:48 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
The messages are ordered based on their post times, if there is incosistency in those there is little FUDforum can do.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Need help transferring messages from FuseTalk
Next Topic: phpBB2 -> Fudforum convertion crash
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat Sep 28 15:19:16 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02848 seconds