FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Calendar Discussion
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
Calendar Discussion [message #23708] Sun, 27 March 2005 00:07 Go to previous message
Jorakae is currently offline  Jorakae   United States
I've just been halted in my migration status to FUDforums just because of the lack of having a calendar. I'll lose it on my current forums and I'm not sure my members will be satisfied with that. I've done some research on the topic and found that it's been suggested often but there hasn't been much in the pursuit of implementation. Here is how I think it should work with answers to the questions once posted some time ago:

Who can access?

This should be allowable by group permissions.

Show birthdays or not?

Optional setting by user with option to turn on or off through registration/profile settings/calendar control panel by admin.

Allow forum calendar and personal calendar?

Never thought about that, but that would actually be a great feature. This should probably also be a feature only enabled through a calendar control panel.

Who can add events?

Set by group permissions.

Recurring events?

Yes.

Additionally it would be nice to see some sort of current events on the main page somewhere. Probably near the bottom. Again, this could be an optional display and location feature set by admin in control panel.

Why FUDforum should implement?

First of all, if people don't want to use it, this should be an optional item set by the admin. However, in my humble opinion it would greatly enhance the already outstanding base feature set. Here is how it is used on old forums (in the process of migration) today:

1. Events are posted on the calendar.
2. My members find they like to meet up with other members before events and like to be able to post their schedules to compare with other members for coinciding times. This creates a real bond amongst my members.
3. Holidays are posted from several cultures.
4. Birthdays are shown, but an optional setting by the user.
5. Grouping of events so that where there are 2 birthdays, 1 events, and several people attending it doesn't run off the calendar. Instead of listing all the events in that scenario, it lists the total number of events for that day. That is then clickable to show all events and descriptions of each event.
6. Members that have permission can post topics and replys to the calendar as events.

A great feature I don't have now would be have events with enrollement and the ability to allow users to attend events. Maybe even send invites to other users through PM? For example, an event could be posted in the calendar and users could sign up to attend that event. Someone could then look at the attendees to see who's attending. Also the ability to send that event through PM and/or e-mail to users either globally (by admin/group permissions), or individually.

I would definitely like to further this a bit more so if there is anything else I can add, please don't hesitate ask.

[Message index]

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: How to stop recording in the table forumsfud_ses ?
Next Topic: Simple logged in check
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 15:49:38 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04850 seconds