FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » FUDforum 3.0+ » Overiting the css file
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
icon9.gif  Overiting the css file [message #2388] Wed, 08 May 2002 14:31 Go to next message
esm2002 is currently offline  esm2002   United States
I tried to add a header thru the templates.

Received the following error msg
Warning: fopen("/home/acct351/public_html/fudforum/br/forum.css","wb& quot;) - Permission denied in /home/acct351/public_html/fudforum/nb/include/static/compiler.inc on line 291
Couldn't write to /home/acct351/public_html/fudforum/br/forum.css

chmod forum.css to 644 but it overwrote my changed forum.css with the original forum.css

I'm not even sure where it got the original forum.css from. I deleted the file and it still created it.

why would it overwite the existing file...?

Gene
"The older I get, the more I admire competence, just simple competence in any field from adultery to zoology."
Re: Overiting the css file [message #2389 is a reply to message #2388] Wed, 08 May 2002 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
The compiler re-creates the forum.css file from scratch. The file should be chmoded 666 so that the compiler has access to overwrite it.

What are the current permissions on the "/home/acct351/public_html/fudforum/br/forum.css" file and does your php have safe_mode enabled?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Overiting the css file [message #2390 is a reply to message #2388] Wed, 08 May 2002 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The compiler re-creates the forum.css file from scratch. The file should be chmoded 666 so that the compiler has access to overwrite it.

What are the current permissions on the "/home/acct351/public_html/fudforum/br/forum.css" file and does your php have safe_mode enabled?

FUDforum Core Developer
icon7.gif  Re: Overiting the css file [message #2397 is a reply to message #2390] Wed, 08 May 2002 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
safe mode is off
forum.css=644

but I had to change it to 666 in order to complete the save header changes.

It should not overwrite the css file when saving header/footer changes ( or any changes for that matter unless the change is to the css file itself ).

If the css file does not exist, no problem...create it...but don't overwrite an existing one.

Does it write the css file on every change for the template editor...?

Gene
"The older I get, the more I admire competence, just simple competence in any field from adultery to zoology."
Re: Overiting the css file [message #2399 is a reply to message #2397] Wed, 08 May 2002 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The CSS file itself is a template, if you want to modify it, modify the forum.css.tmpl file or using the template manager to edit it.

Because it is a template it gets rebuilt from scratch everytime.

FUDforum Core Developer
icon5.gif  Re: Overiting the css file [message #2403 is a reply to message #2399] Wed, 08 May 2002 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK.

So how does one go about having a custom css file if the software overwrites it every time I make one of those changes?

Sad

Gene
Re: Overiting the css file [message #2405 is a reply to message #2403] Wed, 08 May 2002 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Very simply modify the actual template.

That is what you are supposed to be modifying anyway Smile

My previous message tells you exactly which file you should be editing, "forum.css.tmpl".

If you modify that file your settings will not get lost everytime you recompile the forum.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Overiting the css file [message #2419 is a reply to message #2405] Wed, 08 May 2002 18:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm...well, I did use the template modify option but it was kinda clunky...especially trying to find what I wanted to modify and then to modify many different sections. I found it much easier to just modify the css file directly not realizing you use your "templates" to rebuild everything.

If I modify a template what happens when I use CSV to run an "update" to bring my version of FUD current ( if I can ever figure out how to use WINCVS )?

Gene
Re: Overiting the css file [message #2423 is a reply to message #2419] Wed, 08 May 2002 19:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Template editor is good for quick fixes, for bigger fixes just open forum.css.tmpl with your favorite editor... The file contains plain CSS with the exception of {SECTION: name}{SECTION: END} that you can simply ignore.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Overiting the css file [message #2447 is a reply to message #2423] Thu, 09 May 2002 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm...it's not quite as easy as one would think since there are about 45 {SECTION: name}{SECTION: END} and I would have to do that many copy/pastes from my existing forum.css file.

Can I delete all the {SECTION: name}{SECTION: END} except a beginning one and an ending one?

Or maybe replace them all with comments except beginning/ending one?

are the {SECTION: name}{SECTION: END} only there for use with template editor?

Gene
Re: Overiting the css file [message #2448 is a reply to message #2447] Thu, 09 May 2002 05:29 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
You shouldn't delete any {SECTION} tags as that would break the template...

Sections are needed to define the various templates, each {SECTION} is actually a subsection of the main template.

If you are only editing the forum.css.tmpl file, you're better off using the template editor since then you'll see help on each section, more easily then by editing the file using a text editor.

FUDforum Core Developer

[Updated on: Thu, 09 May 2002 05:30]

Report message to a moderator

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: IP still showing
Next Topic: FUD is down
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat Sep 14 22:39:45 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02777 seconds