FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Restrict User to a single forum
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Restrict User to a single forum [message #2434] Thu, 09 May 2002 03:12 Go to next message
esm2002 is currently offline  esm2002   United States
How do I restrict a user to a single forum?

Gene
"The older I get, the more I admire competence, just simple competence in any field from adultery to zoology."
Re: Restrict User to a single forum [message #2439 is a reply to message #2434] Thu, 09 May 2002 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Create a new group call "restricted users" assign every forum to that group as a "resource" with the exception of the forum you want the user to be able to see. Then set all the permission of that group to NO and add that user to the group.

There is another way to do it, but adding that user to every forum group and taking their permissions away but the way I listed 1st is easier IMHO.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Restrict User to a single forum [message #2449 is a reply to message #2439] Thu, 09 May 2002 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, I am stuggling with permissions but I've held off until I use it more...I have learned a few things and the more I see the more I like...

Help me clarify:
Create a new group call "restricted users" assign every forum to that group as a "resource"
with the exception of the forum you want the user to be able to see.

OK, I think I can do that
Then set all the permission of that group to NO... 

when you say that group , do you mean the "restricted users" group?
and add that user to the group.

add the user to "restricted users" group????

sorry to be so dumb on this

Gene
"The older I get, the more I admire competence, just simple competence in any field from adultery to zoology."
Re: Restrict User to a single forum [message #2450 is a reply to message #2449] Thu, 09 May 2002 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
esm2002 wrote on Thu, 09 May 2002 1:29 AM

when you say that group , do you mean the "restricted users" group?

Correct.

Quote:

and add that user to the group.

add the user to "restricted users" group????

sorry to be so dumb on this

Correct once again.

FUDforum Core Developer
icon8.gif  Re: Restrict User to a single forum [message #2459 is a reply to message #2450] Thu, 09 May 2002 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, here is my problem with this

before I add the "restricted users" group, I use the multiselect in the resources area and highlight all but the one forum. I change all the permissions to the group to NO - oooh, where are my radio buttons Very Happy . then click the add button. That adds the forums to this new group. But I never see any indication of these forums attached to this group.

I then click the [Manage Users] link for the "restricted users" group and I see the Group Editor Selection screen.

I have the standard Anonymous and All Registered Users members with their various permissions. I click the [Find User] link and insert the special user I have added as a member. Now I click the Add Member button to add the special user. The permissions ( actually of all three members ) are taken from the permissions in the group manager's area.

The only thing I want the Anonymous and All Registered Users members to be able to do is view the forum in question. But I want the restricted user to be able to view and post ( only ).

It still has not done what I wanted it to do ( see above paragraph ).

Gene
Re: Restrict User to a single forum [message #2473 is a reply to message #2434] Thu, 09 May 2002 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Here are the exact instructions on how to restrict a particular user's access to a forum.

1. Go to the admin control panel.
  2. Click on the "Groups Manager".
  3. Create a new group

1. Give a new group a name ex. "Restricted".
    2. Using the multi-select add all forums as resources to this group with the exception of the forum you want the user to be able to view.
    3. Set "Inherit From" to "Global Registered Access"
    4. Click "Add" bottom
    5. The group was now created and appears at the bottom of the groups list. Because of a bug, when you click on edit beside the group you won't be able to see the forums assigned to this group. This will be fixed shortly.

4. Return to the forum's main page
  5. Click on the "Group(s) Manager" link
  6. From the select at the top choose the group you've created and click on "Edit Group" button.
  7. In the "Member" textbox enter the login of the user and click "Add Member".
  8. Now you need to restore the Anon & Regged access to the forums, you do this very simply.

1. Edit the "Anonymous" user and give him "View" access.
    2. Edit "All Registered Users" and give him View/Post/Reply/Create polls/Attach files/Vote/Rate threads/Use smilies/Use image tags access.
    3. This step will no be required in future versions.

9. That is it, you are now done.

All in all about 2 minutes worth of works tops.

FUDforum Core Developer
icon12.gif  Re: Restrict User to a single forum [message #2486 is a reply to message #2473] Thu, 09 May 2002 23:28 Go to previous message
well, I think I pretty much did that - not real sure about 8b

so I decided to delete and start over and...well, you know what error that caused...! Very Happy

Gene
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Different languages in different categories?
Next Topic: Using a forum as a file archive
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat Sep 14 22:40:08 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04102 seconds