FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » Web posts lose line structure
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Web posts lose line structure [message #25216] Tue, 31 May 2005 20:56 Go to next message
leecovuk is currently offline  leecovuk   United Kingdom
Hello again Ilia and anyone else who can help,

Just revisiting my recent 'line structure' problem and really hoping to pinpoint the cause now.

I have just done a fresh install of 2.6.13 and still find the problem as shown below; The created post looks the same as the preview : -

index.php?t=getfile&id=2043&private=0

Surely other people have also encountered this problem? If so, maybe you could suggest your specific settings which you found caused / solved the problem.

Below is my hosting detail, as detected by Fudforum. Is there anything relevant here? I know the install docs mention that some php settings are 'preferable' but I don't know if they are known to cause my issue. If there seems to be nothing strange here, then I will again chase my host on the 'Automatic new line detection PHP setting' which Ilia recently said 'may' be a cause. : -

System Configuration

PHP built On: FreeBSD www-s34d2.ununetworks.com 4.10-RELEASE-p4
FreeBSD 4.10-RELEASE-p4 #0: Wed i386

Database Version: 4.0.21

PHP Version: 4.3.9

Web Server: Apache/1.3.33 (Unix) mod_auth_passthrough/1.8
mod_log_bytes/1.2 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2634a mod_ssl/2.8.22 OpenSSL/0.9.7d PHP-CGI/0.1b

WebServer to PHP interface: cgi

Forum Version: 2.6.13

Relavent PHP Settings: Safe Mode: OFF

Open basedir: none

Display Errors: ON

File Uploads: ON

Magic Quotes: ON

Register Globals: ON

Output Buffering: No

Disabled Functions: none

PSpell Support: No

Zlib Support: Yes
  • Attachment: fud.gif
    (Size: 34.38KB, Downloaded 1181 times)
Re: Web posts lose line structure [message #25217 is a reply to message #25216] Tue, 31 May 2005 21:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
You are using HTML formatting, if you want to keep lines separate you need to place <br /> between them.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Web posts lose line structure [message #25218 is a reply to message #25217] Tue, 31 May 2005 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks Ilia,

I see what you mean. So 'allowing html' means that all posts have to be _in_ html ? Makes sense I suppose seeing as there is no option at the posting stage to 'disable html'.

Presumably all will be ok and the WYSIWYG editor will still be available if I turn HTML off and keep Fudcode on.

I'm just wondering now how having 'html off' will resolve emails when I get the mailing list manager going again. Presumably html mails will then be shown with line structure but as plain text.
I will see.

lee
Re: Web posts lose line structure [message #25225 is a reply to message #25216] Tue, 31 May 2005 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just confirming 'line structure' problem is indeed ok now in the situation specified previously.

I've got the MLM side working again now with an external MLM, and it looks like I will have to work out very carefully which MLM / Forum settings combinations are workable for tag options HTML / Fudcode / None.

Specifically regarding the 'quote' function on the web for quoting an html email, you can end up with html code being resolved in the quote.

I'm also finding that a Fudcode or HTML post on the web is being mailed out to the mail list as plain text, where I would prefer it to come out with the poster's chosen formatting.

hmmm

Are there any specific known limits / logic I should know here, to save me random testing of what is and isn't possible, regarding the things I've just mentioned?
Or maybe some relevant mods? I have looked a little but will look some more.

I have revisited Fud now after grappling a lot with phpBB and M2F; my testing has been sending me backwards and forwards between the 2 applications, trying really hard to find which (if either) works as I want.
Also, neither seems to support (or fully support) a WYSIWYG text editor for posting, which I feel would be very preferable for users, even though BBCode / Fudcode are not _that_ complex.

thankyou.
Re: Web posts lose line structure [message #25226 is a reply to message #25225] Wed, 01 June 2005 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Can you clarify but what you mean when you say "logic" limits?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Web posts lose line structure [message #25231 is a reply to message #25226] Wed, 01 June 2005 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello Ilia,

I mean, regarding the formatting points I made, with respect to forum + MLM settings;
Is there a known set of workable combinations, which don't result in the user finding unexpected formatting problems?

If so, even if the 'bad' ones are not automatically locked out, I can at least have a firm basis to test with and tell users what is and isn't possible.

thankyou.

Re: Web posts lose line structure [message #25249 is a reply to message #25231] Wed, 01 June 2005 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
What do you mean workable combination, if you use FUDcode fud tags can be used and newlines are automatically handled. For HTML mode the input is treated as HTML string and finaly plain-text only allows non-formatted text and nothing else.

Choose the one you want and use it...

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Web posts lose line structure [message #25252 is a reply to message #25249] Wed, 01 June 2005 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

hello again Ilia,

I presume English is not your first language so you are finding it difficult to understand my descriptive posts.

I was meaning combinations of forum tag settings and mail list 'html' settings.
I have come across situations for example where a 'forum' has to _not_ have html allowed, so that 'normal plain text' posting can be done on the web; however, if an associated mail list is set to 'allow html' then the html mails appear but cannot be 'quoted' properly in a reply.

If there is no known list of any other 'unfortunate' combinations like this, then I will presumably have to experiment to find which settings combinations result in unworkable results.
Re: Web posts lose line structure [message #25253 is a reply to message #25252] Wed, 01 June 2005 22:32 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
If you use HTML tags for formatting the message body is left as is, if you use forum tags (FUDcode) HTML will not be interpreted in any meaningful manner.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: theme or template confusion in theme management cp
Next Topic: Datadump restore
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Wed Jun 26 05:24:57 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02703 seconds