FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Automatic Time Ban
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
Re: Automatic Time Ban [message #25438 is a reply to message #25407] Wed, 08 June 2005 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Zodiak is currently offline  Zodiak   Malaysia
Well, perhaps an example will do.

My friend runs http://www.fifasoccer.ru forums, and we have a special ban policy there, like for minor stuff a user is banned for 3 days, for more major stuff he is banned for 7 days etc. We use this every day, and since we have LOTS and LOTS of users who are often not very rule-obidient, we ban a lot. I see no way how we can remember everyone who was banned and when to unban him. There comes vBulletin where we just specify for how long we ban the user and totally forget about him for ever. I really see no way we could do it manually.

Same with www.ag.ru forums, where bans are often as well, and people are banned for like a month. We'd have to give the admins a medal if not for automatic ban feature there. So judging by two popular forums, this feature is very needed.

Of course, those forums are... you know, teen-based (who are noy very bright, and frankly, I am sick of them Smile) so bans are often whereas some serious support forums or something like that don't really need that feature since a user is either totally normal or he is a brat and is therefore banned for ever. And I haven't really seen 3-day or month-bans on English forums so maybe that's why you don't see this feature useful, but isn't it logical not to totally ban the user but sort of 'punish' him for doing something wrong so he can learn his lesson (yeah, rarely happens :-/) and remain on the forums.

Anyways, it's totally up to you, but I see that as a needed feature and judging by my poor knowledge of PHP Smile, it's not very difficult to implent... It won't hurt being there, right? But some people actually can't live without it so why not put it there?

Regards,
Gleb

I yam what I yam!

[Updated on: Wed, 08 June 2005 14:46]

Report message to a moderator

[Message index]

Read Message icon4.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message